Marathon, Broadway, and Catacomb: Upcoming D&D Products?

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

DD_Transparent.png

The items spotted were a 192-page hardcover accessory codenamed "Marathon" (May 2018); a 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Broadway" (September 2018), and another 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Catacomb" (November 2018). There's also a set of "Broadway" dice.

Past codenames have included "Labyrinth", which turned out to be Tomb of Annihilation, and "Dust", "Midway", "Cloak", and "Dagger".

Let the speculation begin!

D&D "Marathon" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966240
format: Hardcover
series: D&D Accessory
pages: 192
publisher: Wizards of the Coast
pub. date: 2018-05-29

D&D "Broadway" Dice
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966288
format: Game
pages: n/a
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Broadway" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966257
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256

D&D "Catacomb" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966264
pub. date: 2018-11-20
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

dalisprime

Explorer
Let's look at the seeds planted in ToA for hints (after all, SKT hinted at the Ring of Winter and Artus) - we have the lost city of Mezzro which could be an extraplanar adventure (and we certainly have hints of extraplanar stuff based on archetypes and race previews) we also have the hint that the Yuan-ti aren't quite done with their goal of bringing Dendar to our world (and this would be based under the flame peaks allegedly). Now the latter option is less likely given that it's based around Chult again (although they could move some of the action east to explore the rest of Chultan peninsula or stretch all the way to Halruaa of which we also have hints with the crashed airship) and hinges on what the PCs do with a certain object within the Tot9G.

Li Shenron

Legend
D&D "Marathon" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966240
pages: 192
pub. date: 2018-05-29

D&D "Broadway" Dice
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966288
format: Game
pages: n/a

D&D "Broadway" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966257

D&D "Catacomb" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966264
pub. date: 2018-11-20
[FONT="][B]Save[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#FFFFFF][FONT="]Save[/FONT][FONT="][B]Save[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#FFFFFF][FONT="]Save[/FONT]

I'd say that the info is wrong and "Broadway" is the next rules expansion book much like "Midway" was Xanathar, and thus "Marathon" is another adventure.

At least May is too early for going through the process of releasing more playtest versions of the psionics rules, getting the feedback, fixing it again, editing the book etc... and we know that this is most likely what is going to end up in the next expansion book. And such book is probably also getting something else as well, including possibly new stuff we haven't seen yet but they might want to preview in UA as well.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
My guesses are:

Marathon [May]: a gazetteer of the planes and alternate campaign settings, perhaps a chapter on each
Broadway [Sep]: the massive high-level planar-hopping adventure, perhaps using Sigil as the hub (Sigil thought of being analogous to Broadway / Time Square-- massive, crowded, bright, and full of tourists)
Catacomb [Nov]: the player/DM book with new races, features, classes, subclasses for all the other campaign settings besides FR

tjf

Explorer
My guess for Catacomb, based on WOTC's past record of taking a module that sold very well and re-writing it, would be a new take on Desert of Desolation. Probably taking place in Calimsham. They've already collaborated with Tracy and Laura Hickman with Curse of Strahd.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd say that the info is wrong and "Broadway" is the next rules expansion book much like "Midway" was Xanathar, and thus "Marathon" is another adventure.

At least May is too early for going through the process of releasing more playtest versions of the psionics rules, getting the feedback, fixing it again, editing the book etc... and we know that this is most likely what is going to end up in the next expansion book. And such book is probably also getting something else as well, including possibly new stuff we haven't seen yet but they might want to preview in UA as well.
Well, we don't know that the Mystical or Artificer will make it into a book this coming year, really: they both still have another round of design, at least, for public play test, whereas it sounds like the 2018 books are already set.

My guess is a monster book, ala Volo's Guide: crunchy, but not Xanathar's level of balancing needed for the material.

Broadway is right in the AL Season slot, so it's almost certainly the annual Adventure, my guess is March of the Modrons, leading into Catacombs...a 5E Manual of the Planes, meaty enough that it needs 256 pages to cover the subject, which we are seeing tested in UA right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, we don't know that the Mystical or Artificer will make it into a book this coming year, really: they both still have another round of design, at least, for public play test, whereas it sounds like the 2018 books are already set.

My guess is a monster book, ala Volo's Guide: crunchy, but not Xanathar's level of balancing needed for the material.

Broadway is right in the AL Season slot, so it's almost certainly the annual Adventure, my guess is March of the Modrons, leading into Catacombs...a 5E Manual of the Planes, meaty enough that it needs 256 pages to cover the subject, which we are seeing tested in UA right now.

Wow, that is almost exactly what I was thinking! It's like you can read my mind :eek:

If so, what will the new Volo's-type book (or actual Volo's book - they may want to keep the theme up for monster books) cover? Dragons are an obvious choice, as they do make up half of the game's name after all, but reasonably assuming that such a book would bring gem dragons into 5th edition, would they want to do that before psionics for the edition is finalized? Ir perhaps update them like mind flayers and intellect devourers are now and cover any necessary changes once the psionics book comes out? And if they do want to wait on dragons until later, what would this book cover then?

A 256 Manual of the Planes type book would be really nice (especially since the 3e version only got 224 pages), but then again I would think it would dedicate more room for advice on how to play and DM in the Planes, as well as giving us updates on monsters not yet brought into 5e (c'mon, we need our celestials!). Part of me thinks they would be wanting to get to officially updating artificers and psionics to 5e, and doing the obvious and more or less concurrently updating Eberron, but covering the Planes first, so players have a framework for getting from one setting to another should they so wish, does seem a necessary first step before doing so...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wow, that is almost exactly what I was thinking! It's like you can read my mind :eek:

If so, what will the new Volo's-type book (or actual Volo's book - they may want to keep the theme up for monster books) cover? Dragons are an obvious choice, as they do make up half of the game's name after all, but reasonably assuming that such a book would bring gem dragons into 5th edition, would they want to do that before psionics for the edition is finalized? Ir perhaps update them like mind flayers and intellect devourers are now and cover any necessary changes once the psionics book comes out? And if they do want to wait on dragons until later, what would this book cover then?

A 256 Manual of the Planes type book would be really nice (especially since the 3e version only got 224 pages), but then again I would think it would dedicate more room for advice on how to play and DM in the Planes, as well as giving us updates on monsters not yet brought into 5e (c'mon, we need our celestials!). Part of me thinks they would be wanting to get to officially updating artificers and psionics to 5e, and doing the obvious and more or less concurrently updating Eberron, but covering the Planes first, so players have a framework for getting from one setting to another should they so wish, does seem a necessary first step before doing so...
I actually think a (Whoever's) Guide to Dragons in the style of VGtM is likely sooner or later, as it is both useful for customers and lucrative for WotC. They could probably cover that material in the Marathon page count comfortably, too: extended write-up for the ten classic Dragons, and a Draconic bestiary. They have plenty of Psionc monsters already, so Gem Dragons shouldn't be a huge problem in MM blocks.

I think Catacomb is what we have been seeing in the UA recently: multiversal PC options, and extended detail on Devil and Demon cults. I wager we may see a focus more on the lower portion of the Great Wheel, with Volo's style extended work on major Planar threats and how to work them in over the course of a campaign.

Colorblind_cl

First Post
I think the proof is obvious.

A marathon is 26.219 miles, like you say. On the left of the decimal is 26: 2+6 = 8. And the right side is 219: 2+1+9 = 12.
On the left side of the book is the date, and what is the last digit for the year? That's right, 8. On the right side is the page count: 192 pages. 1+9+2 = 12.

Coincidence? I think not. And what is 8+12? 20 of course. Divide 20 by the 2 sides, and you get 10. How many letters are in "Planescape"? :O

It can't be more obvious.

We are reaching some Half-Life 3 kind of :):):):) here.

Remove ads

Remove ads