D&D 5E A simple solution to 'easy mode D&D' and the 6-8 combats problem

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The proposed solution will just make combats last longer. Which, if that's your thing, fine. But for me, that would be the opposite of what I want. I don't want combats to drag on. They become repetitive, everyone already knows the outcome, and you're just grinding foes down to get there.

Why not instead, when the setting is appropriate (like a dungeon) change the rules like this: All rests (short or long) require two combats since the last rest (short or long) prior to the rest functioning. Additionally, long rests require two short rests prior to the long rest functioning.

I tend to solve this problem by finding gamers who are more used to playing 1st and 2nd edition, rather than gamers who only know 3rd and 4th and who have become programmed to expect it to go this way.

I also do not like how the unlimited/at-will stuff affects this, but I have not come up with a satisfactory limitation for that yet. That is something I really wish had stayed dead with 4th Ed.

dave2008

Legend
Rather than giving monsters the average HP listed in their stat block, give them the maximum.

Now that I've solved the titular problems for you, what do I win?

I prefer increase HP by 1.5 and damage by approx. 1.5. It is scarier when they hit harder.

schnee

First Post
Do you still get to take 1 hour short rests normally? Or just the one overnight short rest?

I like this, but I could see it breaking down with the Warlock. I also like there being a bonus for sleeping in a safe place vs sleeping out in the wild/dungeon.

We allow short rests. Also thinking of making the overnight a short rest too for purposes of those types of abilities.

It may make Warlocks a bit too powerful, since it's so short rest heavy, but we'll see - it's been difficult to deplete hit points across the whole party much at all before that at all, so IMO it's a far smaller problem compared to every spellcaster going nova and martials struggling to contribute.

Syntallah

First Post
The proposed solution will just make combats last longer. Which, if that's your thing, fine. But for me, that would be the opposite of what I want. I don't want combats to drag on. They become repetitive, everyone already knows the outcome, and you're just grinding foes down to get there.

Why not instead, when the setting is appropriate (like a dungeon) change the rules like this: All rests (short or long) require two combats since the last rest (short or long) prior to the rest functioning. Additionally, long rests require two short rests prior to the long rest functioning.

I have instituted a 'Milestone Rest' mechanic, wherein if the Party takes a break, they get the mechanics of a Short Rest if they have met or passed 33% of their Adventuring Day budget [DMG, pg 84]. When they pass 66% of that budget, they can take a break, and gain the mechanical benefits of another Short Rest. A Long Rest can be had at 99% of the budget. The time taken for that rest depends upon the nature of their resting place, the more dangerous the longer required... I use the Lifestyle Parameters as a guide.

Last edited:

schnee

First Post
Bloating HP also just makes casters shine even more, because they can 'nova' for much higher damage / efficacy per round compared to a martial. Balance requires having casters not blow spells every round.

As mentioned above - simple swarm rules - for every 2 minions attacking, roll a single attack with advantage.

Same with grapple - use the help action to give anofher minion advantage.

Grapple and go for prone.

Have minions do the dodge action when their allies behind them can attack with range or reach. Theyll be harder to hit and most pcs will take an attack of opportunity if they try to leave reach.

Definitely use terrain.

And lastly but most importantly if you're worried about easy mode - focus fire.

Dan Chernozub

First Post
Running intelligent NPCs as intelligent, life-valuing beings definetely helps.

Also, for most encounters, have a "win condition" for the enemies and this should not be killing the PCs at least a significant % of the time.

Remove ads