D&D 5E How Defeat this Coffelock Villain?

Nevvur

Explorer
[MENTION=6880599]ClaytonCross[/MENTION]

Blindness was something I was looking at suggesting, too. Unfortunately it's a con save, which sorcerers have proficiency in, so we're looking at a +11 or greater ST bonus. Feeblemind would be ideal, though it's probably not part of the surviving spellcasters' repertoire, leaving only 1 wish to pull it off, and then the simulacrum has Heal to negate it. Maybe Wish: Feeblemind and be ready to counterspell Heal?

To the OP, another possible approach: one caster uses Dimension Door and pulls another caster along for the ride, with the second caster readying an action to cast Antimagic Field.

Broadly speaking, this is an intractable problem because the fight has already been initiated and you're down a wizard. There are numerous solutions available for a fresh party with 2 wishes. It also doesn't help that you haven't provided a list of spells known and prepared by the surviving party members, along with a list of their magic items, features, etc... anything that can be brought to bear in this fight.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
My lord, you people are so negative it’s making me ill. The op gave a scenario to get some help on. The comments of “you shouldn’t have gotten in there in the first place” or “sorry you are screwed” are a complete waste of my time spent reading them.

Just leave the thread already and let the rest of us get back to something actually productive.

And now back to the OP, do you have access to wall spells or teleportation abilities? Obviously one option here is to try and get in close to bypass the range issue

But that's the thing - in many games, the GM will "telegraph" info to his players. In this case, said GM clearly did. "fight everything!" is not always going to work. I'm sure the party can find another way :)

MarkB

Legend
This definitely sounds like a case for "come back later", unless you're set up for any half-decent summons. Against a powerful caster with so many resources, their main limitation is the action economy. You need to bring enough people to this fight to overload the caster and simulacrum's combined stock of actions and reactions.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
Unfortunately, this is confirmed, this is TPK.
I was talking to my DM, he interrupted the session when Abjuration Wizard lost concentration, he is "Earth Binded" and now the Simulacrum will cast Distant Metamagic + Silence. (No Shield against 5th level distant empowered Magic Missales) It's the end.

I lost my hopes.

Last edited:

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
@ClaytonCross
Blindness was something I was looking at suggesting, too. Unfortunately it's a con save, which sorcerers have proficiency in, so we're looking at a +11 or greater ST bonus. Feeblemind would be ideal, though it's probably not part of the surviving spellcasters' repertoire, leaving only 1 wish to pull it off, and then the simulacrum has Heal to negate it. Maybe Wish: Feeblemind and be ready to counterspell Heal?
To the OP, another possible approach: one caster uses Dimension Door and pulls another caster along for the ride, with the second caster readying an action to cast Antimagic Field.

The Abjuration Wizard prepared Feeblemind (Best 8th level spell), but, It's Sutble Heal or Subtle Greater restauration (No counterspell). Also, Feeblemind saving throw (If the villain failed, Add Favored of The Gods +2d4), this isn't guaranteed to work.
Also, The villain still have 2 wishes...

Last edited:

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
Ok...

"GM appears to be playing the extreme long range game, I am going to guess he was not kind enough to give full cover, but if the wizards have Wall of Stone they can make some and his attacks are useless.

If ether of your Wizards choose teleport then you could get out of dodge and try and draw the player to an enclosed low roof battleground.

If ether of your Wizards / sorcerer / bard choose Dimension Door with 500ft range you could teleport an ally going next and both attempt to grapple the Coffelock at which time you all drop like rock and go splat from 450ft. ...or you can just use it to teleport out of there."

So what about ... Dimension Door Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere which is not subject to freedom of movement, land on the sphere and push him down. Also, all my other suggestions work.

Also, freedom of movement does not resist stun effects which would make him fall if flying.

Still Wall of stone is your best bet up front, Darkness, illusionary terrain, d&d 5e blindness/deafness also works because the attacks he is using require line of sight. You don't have to kill him right away start shutting him down first. Then run or keep working on it.

Wall of Stone, Darkness and any of these effects are temporary. Villain has the advantage of time.
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere and Blindness / Deafness has very small range, has saving throw (CON, unfortunately), can be disintegrated and can be counterspelled.

Last edited:

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
This definitely sounds like a case for "come back later", unless you're set up for any half-decent summons. Against a powerful caster with so many resources, their main limitation is the action economy. You need to bring enough people to this fight to overload the caster and simulacrum's combined stock of actions and reactions.
But that's the thing - in many games, the GM will "telegraph" info to his players. In this case, said GM clearly did. "fight everything!" is not always going to work. I'm sure the party can find another way :)

I think the only solution is to get away and try another way. But, I'm feeling that even to run away will be difficult.

beeeeeeeeeeee-ruuuuuuuuuuuuuun.jpg

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I think the only solution is to get away and try another way. But, I'm feeling that even to run away will be difficult.

On the plus side, if there are at least three of you trying to run, you have a high probability of at least one of you living. If it's one of the wizards who makes it out alive, you can eventually wish the entire party back to life.

5ekyu

Hero
Unfortunately, this is confirmed, this is TPK.
I was talking to my DM, he interrupted the session when Abjuration Wizard lost concentration, he is "Earth Binded" and now the Simulacrum will cast Distant Metamagic + Silence. (No Shield against 5th level distant empowered Magic Missales) It's the end.

I lost my hopes.
This is opportunity, not setback. Now **all** of you can generate new coffeelocks as the GM has approved it for campaign use. You cal all soon get to massively slotted bombardments and move on with the game.

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

jgsugden

Legend
A combat optimized high level spellcaster is going to win almost any battle where they get to set the terms of the battle. The best way to win this battle is to retreat, regroup, and attack the spellcaster on your terms rather than on his.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases