Immovable things in motion

Greenfield

Adventurer
Looking at the Immovable Rod thread brought to mind something that happened in play last session.

There are spells, such as Resilient Sphere, Wall of Force, as well as items like an Immovable Rod, that are, well immovable.

Some people play a physics game world where the planet spins, and that's okay. Some people cast spells while on moving ships, inside wagons, etc.

Now one example in the other discussion was the idea of activating a Rod in the crew cabin of a ship, to force it to stop. Considering the actual mass/weight of the ship and the limits to both the Rod and the structure of the crew quarters, as well as the small size of the rod, you're either going to overload the rod (it has limits), or you're going to rip a rod-sized hole in the ship.

But what happens when you cast a spell that creates an "immovable" effect, inside a moving environment? And I'm not just talking about a spinning planet.

In our game we were on a ship. One of the PCs was in a long term coma, some kind of magical sleep. Our ship was attacked, and my Wiz was needed on deck. But he wanted to make sure the other PC would be safe, so I asked the DM how he'd rule on a "stationary" effect (Resilient Sphere) cast inside an enclosed but moving environment? He had the character make a Spellcraft check to get the answer (not to modify the spell), and the PC figured out the answer.

His answer was that "immobile" is based on the caster's own perception. So long as the spell was "touching" the ship, and the cabin could be perceived as stationary, the spell would be stationary to that room.

That answer pretty much handles the "spinning planet" question, but leaves the door open for abuse. He trusts me not to abuse.

How do you handle things like that? Can you use your Immovable Rod to lock Jonah's whale in place, or is it simply a useful tool to aid in climbing out?

fuldry

First Post
Ouch relativity in all its splendors. Don't overthink it. If you think it breaks your game, it breaks. Otherwise, go read your general relativity theory, and keep it simple.

Lylandra

Adventurer
nah, you don't necessarily need general relativity. Still, rather advanced physics thoughts.

What you discuss is defining a frame of reference for the rod. One could argue that an inertial frame of reference (a system onto which no external force is applied) could be seen as "not moving" by an observer in the system. So if you had a ship which was moving at a constant speed into the same direction, the immovable rod could be placed inside a cabin in the ship. Now if the ship stopped moving or changed its direction, the rod would leave indeed a rod-sized hole in the cabin.
(Thinking about it, any immovable force field must have an indefinite mass equivalent. At least in a world where "our" physics apply. Which would also lead to indefinite kinetic energy and a definite violation of energy conversion. Ouch.)

A spinning planet is different indeed. While the speed of rotation is constant, rotating systems itself can never be inertial as the diretion of the movement constantly changes (albeit only a bit. Otherwise our "linear" movements would go nuts and we'd have coriolis forces etc everywhere in our small scale everyday lives). But I guess one can approximate the radial acceleration to zero in smaller timeframes :)

Last edited:

Greenfield

Adventurer
I've often introduced people to my game world by explaining that there is no "In those days" to justify things. The game takes place in a parallel world, one that is flat, where the heavier object falls faster. Metaphysics trumps physics. You want to mix sulfur, charcoal and bat dropping (nitrate) and "research" gunpowder? Sorry, you light that up and it just smokes, smelling like brimstone and burning bat poop. You want it to explode? Add magic (Sulfur and bat droppings are the material component for Fireball).

So no, I don't favor a "physics" based game world. My note was for those who do.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases