Deep Water and Shoals II

Bob Aberton

First Post
Malthas,

The chieftain nods.

"Very well," he says. "We find your Kep-tan, as I promise, then we talk. You have boat, I see. I go with you in boat, and you choose one of your Brethren to travel with my trackers, on foot. We keep boat close to the shore, follow trackers. Agree?"

Bob Aberton

First Post
Malthas,

The chieftain nods.

"Very well," he says. "We find your Kep-tan, as I promise, then we talk. You have boat, I see. I go with you in boat, and you choose one of your Brethren to travel with my trackers, on foot. We keep boat close to the shore, follow trackers. Agree?"

dead_radish

Explorer
For the first time, Malthas seems to include the others in his thoughts. He looks around at the group, seeking acceptance of the plan.

"As long as my companions are amenable to that course...."

He waits for the rest to agree before proceeding.

dead_radish

Explorer
For the first time, Malthas seems to include the others in his thoughts. He looks around at the group, seeking acceptance of the plan.

Xael

First Post
Jonah nods to the captain and the shouts to the forest (in elven): "We will talk with you. Come out where we can see you and put your weapons away."

Jonah positions his musket next to him on the ground.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
dead_radish said:

"Ah'll stey wit dhem trackers ashore" Malachi steps forward indicating his agreement with the Gugrachs deal. His features are calm but stern as he looks down into the elf chieftains eyes.

"dhats an order!" he cuts off anyone else before they can interject "nay one else t' be puttin hemsel' forwar' tinsteard. Tell dhe elf dhet Malthas"

kenjib

First Post
That jarring smile appears again. "Aye then. I'll help protect the welfare of Heart-Of-Ten-Thousand-Oaks here aboard our vessel."

dead_radish

Explorer
Malthas smiles at Malachai. "Aye, m'friend. I think you'll be an excellent choice." Malthas then steps on to the boat, and looks pointedly at the Chieftan. "I'd not waste time, Heart-of-a-Thousand-Oaks. Is there aught else to discuss now?"

Bob Aberton

First Post
Malthas,

The elf chieftain nods.

"There is nothing more to speak of, if you wish to find your Kep-tan alive," he says, and strides towards the longboat.

Stout and Sanchez, uneasy at his approach, but seeing that he has no immediate violent intent, conduct him into the longboat as though the elf was an admiral boarding his flagship.

Malthas, Vemuz, Nicodemus,

The longboat, with Mr. Swifthand as coxswain and Vemuz Thrice-born steering, is guided into midstream and then, with Stout and Sanchez beating out a slow cadence with their oars, begins to crawl upriver, keeping pace with the shore party (and within musket-shot, in the event anything should go wrong on land).

Malthas again,

The elf chieftain sits in the stern sheets, facing the bow. For a long time, he sits motionless, gazing out over the river and occassionally glancing at the trackers, combing the river banks. The only sounds are the squeak of the oarlocks and the soft splashing of the oars.

With startling suddenness, he breaks the quiet.

"Your fellow who travels with trackers," he says. "You People from over the Sea keep his kind as slaves. I see with my own eyes. But he give orders to you, lead you and your companions. How is this?"

Jonah,

The brush rustles, and four Grugach, clad like the others in wolf-skins and barkcloth, step into the clearing.

They carry bows, but their bows are unstrung, and their arrows are all in their quivers. Silently, they lay them down in front of them. One of them at last steps forward.

"Now," he says in Elven, with a stern frown. "Now, we shall talk. I am called Mind-of-the-Mighty-River, for my people call me wise. What mean you by your trespassing under the boughs of our ancestor's trees, and how do you justify the blood on your hands?"

Captain McCrenshaw stands to one side, obviously uneasy at his inability to understand the language of these proceedings.

dead_radish

Explorer
Malthas spits to the side. "Some do keep his people as slaves. Some people prefer goats to women too, but I don't much trust them either. There is no truer friend of man nor the Lady than Malachai. Standishmen not withstanding, you might find that there are many outside the forest that are worthy of of friendship. Though there are many that would do best as anchors on a sinking ship."

Remove ads