Night Below - The Heroes and Villains

Seravin

Explorer
Hi all.
I'm currently running a Night Below game and posting the results somewhat haphzardly as a Story Hour.

I'm starting this to showcase some of the Heroes and Villains the party will meet over time as well as cherry-pick some ideas for future villains.

My players, Stay Out. Here be spoilers.
If you're in a Night Below game under somebody else, you should stay out too.

In the Story Hour, the players are around 5th level and include:
Kellron: Human Paladin 5 of Sarath
Ashimar: Human Rogue 3/Fighter 3
Kestral: Human Rogue 5
Jallarzi: Half-Elf Sorceror 1/Wizard 4
Panther: Half-Elf Bard 5

Stats to follow in a later post.

Seravin

Explorer
Seravin said:
In the meantime I could use some ideas bouncing some ideas off of people for the conversion of the third book. It seems the group has finally hit the breakpoint of Party Level vs Monster CR.

Leopold said:
and what do you want to know about CR/EL?

Thanks for the link, but that's not quite what I meant. :)

Yet again I seem to be posting while too tired. Sadly at this point that 'tired' word applies to a lot of things.

Sunday I ran the group's fourth or fifth session through the City of the Glass Pool. It was somewhat anti-climatic.

I can lay the blame at a number of factors.

Factor #1, least importantly, is the party's level. They're 16th level now. The endgame in the City of the Glass Pool was a cakewalk.

Factor #2, My original motivations for running this game (beyond liking the module) was to bring a couple friends back into gaming and take the rules out for a spin to see what happens. It was an experiment.

Factor #3, I think I'm nearing burnout. I've been DM'ing for three years straight - and for two of those years I've been DM'ing two games - every week. My only breaks are when I've taken vacation or we had a critical mass of no-shows. Sunday was a bad DM day - the group was powerful, but I had two 12th level clerics and a host of lesser ones that could have caused some problems.

I'd rather not take a big break now. I just had a month long hiatus due to various vacations in our group. Also I like DMing - but it's obvious I need to change things if its going to continue to be a challenge.

What does this mean to me?
First I'm going to take another couple weeks off to think about the game.

Second, the game is no longer an experiment. It's a disservice to the players to continue treating it as such. They're at the high end of the power spectrum and nearing the final third of the game.

I don't want to increase the power level of the creatures before the final city too much - That's a spiral death deathtrap of experience. What I do want to do is make the remaining critters and powermongers more interesting.

Finally I need to change the way I DM a bit. I've been pretty permissive throughout the game. It's time to bring in the consequences for some of the party's actions. But I don't want it to be the DM's fiat of 'you're too powerful so I'm taking away your toys'. :(

Part of what I hope to get out of this thread is some help in dealing with some of these issues. I'd also like it to be a conversion resource for those who are running the game.

Anyway, that was way too much unloading, but I needed to get it said. Thanks for listening. Next post will have some characters.

Last edited:

Seravin

Explorer
Field Captain Jared

Note that this character sheet isn't completely up to date and I'm certain there are errors. It should give a good feel of the players though

Field Captain Jared is one of the best that the church of Sarath has to offer. His faith in Sarath is nearly unshakeable though he is given to a zealousness that can put some people off.
Due to a recent bargain with a High Celestial, Jared now has a bit of an Angelic spark and has started the path of the Divine Disciple.

Jared, Male Human Clr15, DivDisc1: Medium Humanoid ; HD 15d8+32, 1d8+2 ; hp 108; Init + 1; Spd 30; AC 32 (Flatfooted: 31 Touch: 22); Atk +16/11/6 base melee, +13/8/3 base ranged; +20/15/10 ( 1d8+7, +3 Longsword ); AL LG; SV Fort + 13, Ref + 7, Will + 19; STR 18, DEX 12, CON 15, INT 12, WIS 26, CHA 10.
Skills: Concentration + 19, Diplomacy +6, Heal + 15, Jump + 8, Knowledge (arcana) + 11, Knowledge (religion) + 19, Spellcraft + 17.
Feats: Cleave, Combat Casting, Craft Magic Arms and Armor , Craft Wondrous Item , Great Cleave, Leadership, Martial Weapon Proficiency: Longsword, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Weapon Focus: Longsword.

Spells Prepared (Clr 6/7/7/7/6/5/4/3/3): .
Favored Spells: Earthquake, Holy Aura, Blade Barrier, Flame Strike.

Possessions (major):
Finslayer (Longsword +3, Kuo-toan Bane); Full Plate +4, Large Steel Shield +4
Wondrous Items: Boots of striding and springing; Goggles of night; Helm of underwater action; Ring: Protection +3; Scabbard of keen edges; Bag of holding (Bag 4); Rope of Climbing; Gloves of Dexterity (+2); Ring: Freedom of Movement; Heward's handy haversack; Periapt of Wisdom (+4); Cloak of resistance (+1); Necklace of prayer beads (smiting); Necklace of prayer beads (karma); Necklace of prayer beads (healing); Necklace of prayer beads (blessing); Talisman of Pure Good

Description: A 20 year old man, Jared is 6'3" and weighs in at about 205 lbs. He's one of the youngest captains invested in the church and has shown great piety and wisdom.

Jared's player is a tactical and strategic nightmare. He's good. Very good and a 16th level priest gives him some very scary options.
The player is currently somewhat dissatisfied with Jared however. Especially since the last fight. He's currently thinking of a taking a different character. I'm thinking of imposing some limitations.
He's been pretty free with his spellcasting. Most especially with Earthquakes. I'm thinking of having a messenger have a strong heart to heart with the field captain. A simple change in spell tactics could make him a pretty different character. <shrug> We'll see.

Seravin

Explorer
Jallarzi, Master of the Library

Again, this sheet isn't completely up to date, but it's close.

Jallarzi. The White Haired Sorceress. Currently Master at Large for the Library, acting on their behalf to investigate the disappearance of mages.

Jallarzi, Female Half-Elf Wiz16: Medium Humanoid ; HD 16d4+32 ( Wizard) ; hp 73; Init + 2; Spd 30; AC 21 (Flatfooted: 19 Touch: 19); Atk +8/3 base melee, +10/5 base ranged; +11/6 ( 1d4+3, +3 Dagger ); SQ: Immunity: Sleep (Ex), Low-light vision (Ex); RF: +2 Will bonus to Enchantment spells, Elven Blood; AL NG; SV Fort + 8, Ref + 8, Will + 12; STR 10, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 27, WIS 13, CHA 17.
Skills: Concentration + 16, Disguise + 5, Hide + 17, Knowledge (arcana) + 26, Listen + 2, Move Silently + 4, Search + 9, Spellcraft + 20, Spot + 2.
Feats: Craft Wand , Craft Wondrous Item , Leadership, Scribe Scroll , Silent Spell, Spell Mastery(8), Spell Penetration, Toughness, Energy Substitution (sonic), Chain Spell
Spells Known (Wiz 4/6/6/6/6/5/4/4/3): 0 -- All; 1st -- Change Self, Color Spray, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Identify, Magic Missile, Magic Weapon, Protection from Evil, Ray of Enfeeblement, Sleep, Summon Monster I; 2nd -- Cat's Grace, Darkvision, Flaming Sphere, Invisibility, Knock, Melf's Acid Arrow, Mirror Image, Summon Monster II; 3rd -- Dispel Magic, Displacement, Fireball, Haste, Hold Person, Invisibility Sphere, Keen Edge, Lightning Bolt, Suggestion, Summon Monster III, Water Breathing; 4th -- Ice Storm, Improved Invisibility, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Phantasmal Killer; 5th -- Cone of Cold, Hold Monster, Summon Monster V, Teleport, Wall of Force; 6th -- Analyze Dweomer, Bigby's Forceful Hand, Chain Lightning, Disintigrate, Legend Lore, Mass Haste, Mislead; 7th -- Limited Wish, Mordenkainen's Sword, Prismatic Spray, Spell Turning, Teleport without Error; 8th -- Horrid Wilting, Protection from Spells.
Spells Prepared (Wiz 4/6/6/6/6/5/4/4/3): .
Favored Spells: Chained Phantasmal Killer, Sonic Chain Lightning, Mass Haste, Cats Grace, Ice Storm (normal and sonic).

Possessions: (major)
Weapons: +3 Dagger
Wands/Staves: ~17Wands and 3 Staves
Wondrous Items: Headband of intellect (+6); Heward's handy haversack; Boots of levitation; Bracers of armor (+7); Amulet of natural armor (+2); Robe of blending; Cloak of resistance (+1); Boots of elvenkind; Brooch of shielding; Ring: Spell Storing (usually has heal and some CLW);

Familiar: Sarah (Smudgepaws Mousestalker), Cat, Tiny Animal ; HD 1/2d8 ( Animal) ; hp 36; Init + 2; Spd 30; AC 30; Atk + 6 base melee, + 12 base ranged; +12/+7 ( 1d2-4, 2 Claws; 1d3-4, Bite ); AL N; SV Fort + 2, Ref + 4, Will + 1; STR 3, DEX 15, CON 10, INT 4, WIS 12, CHA 7.
Skills: Balance + 10, Climb + 5, Hide + 17, Listen + 4, Move Silently + 9, Spot + 4. Feats: Weapon Finesse: Bite, Weapon Finesse: Claws.

Description: 23yrs old, Jallarzi has white hair and violet eyes, taking after her elvish heritage. She stands 5'7" and weighs 148lbs.

Jallarzi's player is new to the game. In fact, Jallarzi is her first character. After our first full year of playing I gave her the option to rejigger the character to be more in line with what she wanted. Sadly, though not suprisingly, she opted to get rid of the sorceress level.
Her tactics are pretty straightforward though. "Blast 'em" pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:

Seravin

Explorer
Intermission

I think it's pretty easy to see why Jared and Jallarzi are my two problem characters. The players are wonderful, but their tactics are direct and not often very subtle.

Kellron and Kestral's players usually find themselves doing little more than mop up as Jared and Jallarzi mow things down. The sad thing is I can't blame their tactics because theywork. Usually.
The setup of some of the encoutners has encouraged this.

Like I noted above, Jared's player is thinking of taking a new character. I rather avoid it, but limiting him is tricky. I could enforce a more limited spell selection on him - make him more of a buff and combat player - but it doesn't seem all that fair.

The funny thing is, because of Jallarzi's usual spell selection, it usually isn't too hard to deal with her. But because of her spell selection, Jared can take more utility spells - like True Sight for example.

Next: Kestral and Kellron tomorrow.

Seravin

Explorer
Kestral

Another incomplete stat block. Kestral's player keeps it in PCGen and I've been using eTools to manage and create the stat blocks. Here are the highlights though.
Kestral. The Friendly. The Trustworthy. Born in the southern lands, she rode north to get away from her adopted family and the zealous attitudes that are prevalent in the southern duchy of Relk.

Kestral, Female Human Rog16: Medium Humanoid ; HD 16d6+16 ( Rogue) ; hp 79; Init + 7; Spd 30; AC 25 (Flatfooted: 17 Touch: 18); Atk +12/7/2 base melee, +17/12/7 base ranged; +22/17/12 ( 1d6+3, +3 Sword, short ); +21/16/11 ( 1d6+1, +2 Shortbow, composite ); AL N; SV Fort + 9, Ref + 18, Will + 9; STR 10, DEX 24, CON 12, INT 18, WIS 12, CHA 21.
Skills: Appraise + 13, Bluff + 24, Decipher Script + 12, Diplomacy + 35, Disable Device + 19, Disguise + 14, Gather Information + 26, Hide + 18, Innuendo + 4, Intimidate + 10, Listen + 14, Move Silently + 28, Open Lock + 24, Pick Pocket + 12, Read Lips + 12, Ride + 9, Search + 17, Sense Motive + 20, Speak Language + 13*, Spot + 14, Tumble + 9, Use Magic Device + 18, Wilderness Lore + 4.
Feats: Skill Focus: Diplomacy, Smooth Talk, Stealthy, Street Smart, Track, Trustworthy, Weapon Finesse: Sword, short.
Possessions (major)
Weapons: +3 Sword, short; +2 Shortbow, composite.
Goods: Thieves' tools, Masterwork.
Wondrous: Boots of elvenkind; Boots of levitation; Bracers of armor (+7); Brooch of shielding; Cloak of resistance (+3); Ring: Elemental Command (Water); Ring: Freedom of Movement; Ring: Invisibility; Stone of controlling earth elementals; Gloves of Dexterity (+6);
Father Dark's Hood (As Hat of Disguise. Provides Nondetection (DC25) and Darkvision. Allows See Invisibility 1/day and Detect magic 1/day).
Kestral's Undetectable Amulet (Provides Nystul's Undectable Aura and as a Ring of Mind Shielding).
Robe of the Rockseers (Misc SLA's including Wall of Stone, Acid Fog, and Stoneskin among others).
The Magic Hut. Small replica of a cottage. Grows into a Leomunds Shelter on command. Shrinks on a different command. Will carry 1000lbs of non-living material will shrunk. Living matter is crushed when the cottage shrinks.

Description: In the last year Kestral died and was reincarnated. She came back human again, though with a different destiny. She is 4'9" and weighs a hair over 100lbs. Her blonde hair is now long and silver and her bright blue eyes are now grass green. Still as pragmatic as ever, she now gives passing reverence to Sheelegra, Lady of the Forest.

* Kestral speaks all the languages I have currently defined in the game. The original concept of Kestral was for her to be a linguist.

A Diplomacy score of +35. Gather Info of +26. She can speak every language. She's the negotiator. Given time Kestral can and will find out anything, presuming someone knows it. It's quite frightening actually. In the city the party uses her talents like a weapon.

Kestral's player wanted a different sort of rogue. I thing she achieved it. In a fight she gets by on sheer experience, but she generally avoids the thick fights. Usually she hangs back and uses her array of magic items to help provide backup support.
By default she carries the Magic Cottage (just cause) and she carries the Stone of Earth Command because she's the only one that speaks Terran.

Kestral's virtually undetectable and can be anyone anywhere - but her player has never really abused these talents. Some of the sidequests have been designed to showcase these talents though, as early on she was a bit of a fifth wheel given the combat happy nature of some of the encounters.

Last edited:

Seravin

Explorer
A late day at work and having to re-enter some data by hand means that Kellron will be here tomorrow.

Afterwards I'm going to start converting/describing the villains of the piece.

Seravin

Explorer
Kellron - Scion of the Sundering Sword

Weilder of Deverat, the Deva's Fury. Protector of Broken Spire Keep. Husband of Toree. Hero of Corlean.
Kellron is the default leader of the group. Slow to speak, everyone else listens when he speaks and follows his lead. His attitudes are somewhat old fashioned.

Kellron comes from an age about two hundred years ago. Wizards were valued members of society during his time and he finds it somewhat odd that arcane magic is only recent legal.
For his duty, he left behind his wife and child.
Kellron has since married a human witch named Toree, a follower of Latina. For a time she followed Kellron as a cohort. Toree fell in love with Kellron and ask him to marry her, which he did in order for his line to continue.

Kellron, Male Human Pal16: Medium Humanoid ; HD 16d10+32 ( Paladin) ; hp 151; Init + 2; Spd 20; AC 32 (Flatfooted: 31 Touch: 22); +22/17/12/7 ( Deverat: 1d8+6); +18/13/8/3 (+2 Crossbow, heavy: 1d10+2); AL LG; SV Fort + 21, Ref + 16, Will + 18; STR 19, DEX 15, CON 14, INT 14, WIS 18, CHA 24.
Skills: Concentration + 5, Craft (Painting) + 6, Diplomacy + 26, Handle Animal + 22, Heal + 16, Jump + 8, Knowledge (religion) + 12, Profession (Cook) + 20, Ride + 18, Spot + 5.
Feats: Cleave, Divine Might, Extra Smiting (x2), Extra Turning, Leadership, Power Attack.
Spells Known (Pal --/3/3/2/2):
Favored Spells: Armor Contingency

Possessions (major)
Weapons: +2 Rapid Reloading Crossbow, Heavy;
Deverat: Deva's Fury:+2 Adamantine Longsword: Bane (Evil Outsiders), Elemental Aura, Holy, Keen (Intelligent)*
Armor: +4 Full plate, +4 Shield, large, steel.
Magic: Periapt of Wisdom (+2); Gauntlets of ogre power; Ring: Protection +3; Cloak of resistance (+2); Ring: Elemental Resistance, Minor; Ring: Freedom of Movement; Boots of striding and springing; Heward's handy haversack.

Description: 6'0" tall, 180lbs. Reddish Brown hair kept in a crew cut style, Hazel eyes. All of 19 years old.

Special: Currently Kellron has a cohort named Aerseleth. Another time-lost member of the Sundering Sword - Aerseleth died on his celestial guided quest. Now ressurrected through the actions of Kellron and his band, Aerseleth has given his loyalty to Kellron.

* There's no excuse for Deverat. None at all. I built it and allowed it. :rolleyes:
When I finally placed Deverat in the game (story to be told in the SH) it was intended to be balanced against Finslayer. It's not, but while Kellron is a combat machine, Deverat hasn't been too abusive.

I like Kellron. He's stuffy, but I like him. Other than that there's not much to be said. Kellron's player is very laid back and very not Lawful Good. Still and all he does a passable Lawful Good and keeps Kellron's sensibilities in line.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases