Night Below - The Heroes and Villains

Seravin

Explorer
All right. Those are the heroes. For now at least. Death and attrition may take care of them in time. :D

If you've read the story hour you may be asking 'Where is Ashimar? Where is Panther?'

Panther's player had to leave us so Panther himself went on to do other things.

As for Ashimar... It's a grim story and one for another time.

I've got two more NPC's to post: Tore and Aerseleth. Both are former cohorts of Kellron.
Tore was my way of inserting a psion into the party who would fill the information gathering roll. She was a very subtle character. Sadly, that didn't work out too well.

Aerseleth took Tore's place as Kellron's cohort. He's another person from Kellron's time, and technically outranks Kellron. However he now owes Kellron a debt of honor and repays it. Besides, Kellron has earned it.

I'll post these two next - after I get some more sleep.

Seravin

Explorer
Change of plans.
The two NPC's are staying behind to protect the keep. In the meantime the majority of my time (outside of work) has been to help convert book III of the series.
Here's my favorite villain of Book III - she's only a bit player, but I'm quite proud of the conversion. Note that the Bardic Music makes for a quite nice captivating song - allowing her to 'Suggest' to males to come and swim down and embrace her....

I need a name for her and a history though. I'm also contemplating some changes. Instead of being a drow I'm thinking of making Sunkenhome (a former elven city now under the Sunless Sea) a former city of Rockseer elves (from the module). I'm also thinking of upping her Corruptive touch to 2d4 Con drain or just a straight death attack. Anyone have any thoughts?

Drow Banshee: Female Drow Ghost Bard 14; CR x; Medium Undead (Augmented Humanoid, Undead); HD 12d6; hp 46; Init +7; Spd 30ft., Fly 30ft. (perfect); AC 19 (dex +3, deflection +6; Touch 19, flat-footed 16); Bab/Grpl +7/+7; Atk +10/+5 melee (1d6 plus 1d4 Con Drain); SA Corrupting Touch, Draining Touch (1d4 Constituion Drain), Manifestation; SQ Darkvision 60 ft., Rejuvanation, SR 21, Turn Resistance +4; AL CE; SV Fort +3; Ref +10; Will +7; Str 10, Dex 16, Con -, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 23.
Skills: Bluff +19, Craft (Musical Instrument) +16, Diplomacy +21, Intimidate +8, Knowledge (Geography) +16, Listen +15, Perform +22, Search +5, Sense Motive +13, Spot +2, Tumble +16, Use Magic Device +19;
Feats: Greater Spell Focus (enchantment), Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (perform – sing), Spell Focus (enchantment)
Bard Abilities: Bardic Music (10), Bardic Knowledge (+13), Countersong, Fascinate (4 targets – d20+22) Inspire Courage +2, Inspire Competence, Suggestion (DC23), Inspire Greatness
Spells Per Day: (Brd 3/5/5/3/1) Save DC 16+spell level/18+spell level for enchantment spells*
Spells Known: (Brd 3/4/4/3/1)
0) Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound 1) Disguise Self, Lesser Confusion*, Silent Image, Undetectable Alignment; 2) Eagles Splendor, Invisibility, Suggestion*, Tongues; 3) Charm Monster*, Crushing Despair*, See Invisibility 4) Dominate Person*
Spell-Like Abilities: dancing lights, darkness, faerie fire; Caster Level 10
Light Blindness (ex): Abrupt exposure to bright light blinds for 1 round and dazzled while remaining in the light.

Seravin

Explorer
Aboleth Grand Savant anyone?

Here's the main bad guy in the module.
Comments?

Grand Savant; Male Aboleth Cleric3/Wizard5/Mystic Theurge10; CR 27; Gargantuan Aberration (Aquatic, Water); HD 24d8+168 plus 3d8+21 plus 5d4+35 plus 10d4+70; hp 427; Init +1; Spd 0ft., swim 60ft.; AC 18 (-4 size, +1 dex, +11 natural; Touch 7, flat-footed 17); Bab/Grpl +23/+33; Atk +30melee (1d8+11 plus slime, tentacle); Full Atk +30 melee (1d8+11 plus slime, 4 tentacles); Face/Reach 20ft./15ft.; SA Enslave, psionics, slime, spell-like abilities; SQ Acidic body, aquatic subtype, create shaboath golem, damage reduction 15/slashing or piercing, darkvision 60 ft., mucus cloud, immune to acid, see invisibility, spell immunities, SR28; AL LE; SV Fort +26; Ref +18; Will +36; Str 32, Dex 12, Con 24, Int 24, Wis 24, Cha 20.
Skills: Concentration +49, Knowledge (Arcana) +48, Knowledge (Religion) +48, Listen +25, Spot +25, Swim +19, Spellcraft +47, Use Magic Device +37
Feats: Ability Focus (Enslave), Alertness, Combat Casting, Complex Glyph, Craft Wondrous Item, Enlarge Ability (Enslave), Greater Spell Focus (Abjuration), Greater Spell Focus (Enchantment), Improved Complex Glyph, Iron Will, Scribe ScrollB, Spell Focus (Abjuration), Spell Focus (Enchantment), Quicken Spell-Like Ability (Inflict Critical Wounds), Quicken Spell-Like Ability (Mirage Arcane)
Domains: Blood Queen: Law (+1 caster level) and Protection (+13 bonus)
Cleric Spells per Day: CL13 - (6/7+1/7+1/6+1/5+1/4+1/3+1/2+1) Save DC = 17 + spell level (19 + spell level for abjuration, enchantment)
Wizard Spells per Day: CL15 - (4/6/6/6/5/5/4/3/1) Save DC = 17 + spell level (19 + spell level for abjuration, enchantment)
Cleric Spells Prepared: 0) Detect magic (x2), guidance (x2), resistance (x2); 1) bless, command (x2), doom (x2), protection from good, sanctuaryD; 2) calm emotionsD, darkness (x2), desecrate, enthrall, hold person (x2), resist energy; 3) cure serious wounds, deeper darkness, dispel magic (x2), glyph of warding, protection from energyD; 4) cure critical wounds, dimensional anchor, divine power, freedom of movement, poison, spell immunityD; 5) dispel good, greater command, righteous might, spell resistanceD, true seeing; 6) anti-life shell, harm, hold monsterD, summon monster VI; 7) destruction, dictumD, repulsion
Wizard Spells Prepared: 0) Daze, detect magic, flare, message; 1) magic missile, obscuring mist (x2), ray of enfeeblement, silent image; 2) glitterdust, minor image, tasha’s hideous laughter, web; 3) dispel magic (x2), lightning bolt, major image, slow, stinking cloud; 4) animate dead, confusion, fear, phantasmal killer, polymorph, shadow conjuration; 5) baleful polymorph, feeblemind, hold monster, summon monster V, wall of force; 6) repulsion, summon monster VI (x2); 7) power word: blind, summon monster VII; 8) prismatic wall
Acidic Body: Any hit with a slashing or piercing weapon creates a burst of acid to all within 30ft. of the wound. This causes 2d10 points of acid damage, Reflex save for half (DC33). Additionally those hit with the acid are affected by the Slime power of the aboleth and must make a DC33 Fortitude save or have their flesh transform into a clear membrane.
Create Shaboath Golem – 2/day create a shaboath golem under its complete control. This is an instaneous effect and the golem is under the Grand Savant’s complete control.
See Invisibility (ex): The Grand Savant can always see invisible and ethereal creatures within line of sight.
Enslave (su): At Will - the Grand Savant can enslave a creature within 30ft; Will save DC39 to avoid. As dominate person (caster level 16th). An enslaved creature obeys the aboleth’s telepathic commands until freed by remove curse, and can attempt a new save every 24 hours to break free.
Psionics(sp): At will – hypnotic pattern (DC17), illusory wall (DC19), mirage arcane (DC20), persistent image (DC20), programmed image (DC21), project image (DC22), veil (DC21). Caster level 16th.
Slime(ex): A creature hit by a tentacle must succeed on a DC37 Fortitude save or begin to transform over the next 1d4+1 minutes. The creature must remain moistened with cool, fresh water or take 1d12 points of damage every 10 minutes. A remove disease before the transformation ends will restore an afflicted creature; afterwards only a heal or mass heal spell can reverse the affliction
Spell Immunities: The Grand Savant is immune to polymorphing, blindness/deafness, feeblemind, and phantasmal killer. It is immune to all spells and spell-like abilities that cause this effects as if it had successfully passed spell resistance.
Spell-Like Abilities: At Will – charm monster (DC19), inflict critical wounds (DC19)
Mucus Cloud (ex): Any creature coming into contact with this cloud (1ft from the body), but succeed on a DC37 Fortitude save or lose the ability to breathe air for the next 3 hours. The Grand Savant excretes at all times – not just in water.

Conversion Notes:
Based off of a 24HD Aboleth, Clr3/Wiz5/MTh10. Advanced to a 24HD aboleth which gives it 42HD total (2 more than listed), but rounds out more evenly for CR calculations
SR based on a 40% chance vs. a 20th level caster.
The creature is listed as immobile – but it sounds like it can still move about a bit so it retained it’s dexterity score.
The creature is listed as not having any physical attacks. Left the attack scores in anyway.

Seravin

Explorer
Darlakanand - Mad Crazy

And here's the derro who's instigating the epic magic. As near as I can figure, a 3HD creature with 18 caster levels qualifies for the Epic Spellcasting feat - which seems to only require 21+ HD and the ability to cast 9th level spells.
Again, comments?

Darlakanand; Male Derro Wizard18; CR 21; Small Monstrous Humanoid; HD 3d8 plus 18d4; hp 82; Init +6; Spd 20ft.; AC 26 (+1 size, +2 natural, +8 bracers, +5 ring of protection; Touch 16, flat-footed 26); Bab/Grpl +12/+9; Atk +13 melee (1d4+5, +4 quarterstaff); Full Atk +13/+8 (1d4+5, quarterstaff); Face/Reach 5ft./5ft.; SA Poison use, spell-like abilities, sneak attack +1d6; SQ Darkvision 60ft., madness, SR 15, permanent spells, vulnerability to sunlight; AL CE; SV Fort +6(+8); Ref +11(+13); Will +17(+19); Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 24, Wis 9*, Cha 18*.
Skills: Bluff +6, Concentration +18, Hide +2, Knowledge (Arcana) +25, Listen +1, Move Silently +6, Spellcraft +31
Feats: Blind-Fight, Brew Potion, Craft Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item, Empower Spell, Extend Spell, Greater Spell Penetration, Improved Initiative, Maximize Spell, Quicken Spell, Scribe ScrollB, Spell Penetration
Spells per Day: (4/6/6/6/5/5/5/4/3/2) Save DC = 17 plus spell level
Spells Prepared: 0) Daze, detect magic (x2), flare; 1) charm person (x2), comprehend languages, magic missile (x2), shield; 2) blindness/deafness, blur, darkness, glitterdust, minor image, tasha’s hideous laughter; 3) dispel magic, haste, lightning bolt, stinking cloud, slow, major image; 4) black tentacles, confusion, enervation, fear, stoneskin 5) baneful polymorph, cone of cold, hold person, feeblemind, persistent image, 6) globe of invulnerability, mislead, summon monster VI (x2), symbol of persuasion, 7) forcecage, power word blind, prismatic spray, summon monster VII, 8) maze, otto’s irresistible dance, power word stun 9) energy drain, time stop
Permanent Spells: Darlakanand has the following permanent ongoing effects (Caster Level 18th). Fly, Protection from Good, Protection from Normal Missiles, See Invisibility.
Madness (Ex): Derro use their Charisma modifier on Will saves instead of their Wisdom modifier, and have immunity to confusion and insanity effects. A derro cannot be restored to sanity by any means short of a miracle or wish spell.
*The racial madness of the derro provides a +6 bonus to their Charisma scores and a –6 penalty to their Wisdom scores. A derro restored to sanity gains 6 points of Wisdom and loses 6 points of Charisma.
Poison Use (Ex): Derro typically carry 2d4 doses of greenblood oil or Medium monstrous spider venom, applying it to their crossbow bolts. Derro are not at risk of poisoning themselves when handling poison.
Sneak Attack (Ex): Any time a derro’s opponent is denied his Dexterity bonus to AC, or if a derro flanks his opponent, he deals an extra 1d6 points of damage. This ability is just like the rogue’s sneak attack and subject to the same limitations.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will—darkness, ghost sound; 1/day— daze (DC 14), sound burst (DC 16). Caster level 3rd. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
Vulnerability to Sunlight (Ex): A derro takes 1 point of Constitution damage for every hour it is exposed to sunlight, and it dies if its Constitution score reaches 0. Lost Constitution points are recovered at the rate of 1 per every 24-hour period spent underground or otherwise sheltered from the sun.
Possessions: +4 Small Quarterstaff, +8 Bracers of Armor, Ring of Protection +5, Rope of Entanglement (x2), Figurine of Wondrous Power (3 Ivory Goats), Efreeti Bottle, Potion of Cure Serious Wounds (x4), arcane scroll (dimension door, polymorph, shapechange, time stop – CL 18th).
Conversion Notes:
Swapped Darlakanand’s Wisdom and Charisma scores to keep in line with the Derro Madness ability.
Replace Craft Arms and Armor with Epic Spellcasting from the Epic Level Handbook
Note that tactics say he’ll use dimension door or teleport to get away, but he only has the scroll with dimension door.

Mortepierre

First Post
A few questions if you don't mind..

My own players are now beginning to tackle Book II and I am having a little trouble with converting some parts to 3.5

1] Finslayer: what did you make of that sword? Converted directly, it would need at the very least to be a Bane and a Dread (from the Epic Handbook) weapon .. which would require it to be an Epic weapon. It's not as unbalancing as one might believe given outside of the Underdark it would rarely (if ever) encounter its specific enemies but still...

2) City of Glass: how did you handle the high level Kuo-Toa? Most Priest/Thief, if converted directly, would be lvl 20+!

Having recently bought the (FR) Underdark accessory, I am very tempted to discard the Ixzan altogether in favor of bolstering the Kuo-Toa by introducing a few Inquisitors and Sea Mother Whip (new PrC both) and adding a Kuo-Toa Leviathan.

Moreover, the Earth Nodes described in that accessory make a wonderful 3.5 version of the magical earth nodes of the Rockseers :)

Seravin

Explorer
Mortepierre said:
Questions are good. Hopefully my answers will match. ;)

1] Finslayer: what did you make of that sword? Converted directly, it would need at the very least to be a Bane and a Dread (from the Epic Handbook) weapon .. which would require it to be an Epic weapon. It's not as unbalancing as one might believe given outside of the Underdark it would rarely (if ever) encounter its specific enemies but still...
I don't have my notes with me, but I believe I made it a simple Longsword +3 Kuo-Toa Bane and Aboleth Bane. I kept the special purpose (make kuo-toa fish-sticks) and powers as-is - ditto with the mental stats. I dropped the Drow Bane power as it wasn't really necessary in my game (no drow). It might have been a +2 sword, as I don't recall what the base bonus. The other thing I did was hide the aboleth bane power from the players until much later.

2) City of Glass: how did you handle the high level Kuo-Toa? Most Priest/Thief, if converted directly, would be lvl 20+!
I used the guidelines from the 2e-3e conversion guide. Take the highest level of the multi-class and add 1/3rd the character levels from the other classes - assign the total number levels gained between the two classe. So a 2e Thief9/Cleric9 would have 12 levels to divide between Cleric and Rogue. I always made sure the spellcaster levels at least equaled the 2nd edition level so the highest level spell slots would be available (so I'd make a Cleric9/Rogue3).
If I were to do this again I'd make sure the Kuo-Toa king would have at least 7th level spells and I'd probably bump up 2 of the senior mind-flayers.

Having recently bought the (FR) Underdark accessory, I am very tempted to discard the Ixzan altogether in favor of bolstering the Kuo-Toa by introducing a few Inquisitors and Sea Mother Whip (new PrC both) and adding a Kuo-Toa Leviathan.
No comment here, though the SMW seemed especially appropriate for the King and possibly the senior priests. The Ixzan were easy to convert for me (Ixichitacl - or whatever - are in the MMII. [/QUOTE]

Moreover, the Earth Nodes described in that accessory make a wonderful 3.5 version of the magical earth nodes of the Rockseers :)
For myself I've taken the entire chapter wholesale into my game - I just wish I had this when I started as I've had to retro-fit a couple things to work after the fact. Still a good chapter.

Hope this helps.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Mortepierre said:

My own players are now beginning to tackle Book II and I am having a little trouble with converting some parts to 3.5

Howdy! Seravin if your still reading this EMAIL ME! :) I just got a new laptop and want to put book3 on it and can't find my copy!

back to the topic at hand.

1. I made finslayer an axe. Made it a +2 weapon: Lesser bane vs. kuo-toa, ban against drow, greater ban vs. aboleth. That made it a +5 weapon which made it easy to use.

2. While helping out with oh so minor things with Seravin on book 3 I can attest to the power of high level PC's and the CotGP. My players litterally obliterated the mind flayers and a duke and some body guards in 1 FRIGGIN ROUND! Suprise, followed by lightning bolt followed by level drain psionic power (i forget it) followed by firestorm=death.

Yes your pc's to keep it challengin in CotGP need to be around 12th level and yes the priest king and dukes were 20th level and 16th level more or less.

Seravin

Explorer
Leopold said:
What are these earth nodes you speak of and what do they do?
Hey Leopold. I got your message - I have an embarrassment of laptops right now and the doc is on the other one - I'll try and have the copy sent to you sometime this weekend.

The earth nodes are described in the WOTC book Underdark. It's a spiffy book and gives some good mechanics on earth nodes - which match up against the flux points very well.
Essentially they're areas of concentrated magical effects. Most people can tap into them only a little. Spend a feat and you can utilize them fully - including being able to use a Node Teleport between any two of the earth nodes (3rd level node to node teleport). The mechanics mesh very well with the flux points, but only if you start out using them.
In my game I ret-conned some stuff so the mage can continue using the nodes as-is, but if she wants more abilities she'll have to spend the feat.

Montpierre,
I (with Leopolds help) only have the 3rd book converted, and only about 95% of it at that - it's in desperate need of editing. If you want, the same time I re-send to Leopold I can send you our little compliant book.

I think Leopold might have the 2nd book hanging out somewhere.

Book 1 was converted recently and hanging out in the conversion gallery last I looked.

Remove ads