D&D 3E/3.5 Bounty Hunter [Prestige Class] 3.5/3.0

Technik4

First Post
Got this idea by Seasong's removal of Rangers, but hopefully the class will work even if you use Rangers. It will have no animal abilities, no spellcasting, and is not necessarily geared towards the wilderness.

Bounty Hunter

Barbarians, Clerics with the Travel Domain, Druids, Fighters, Rangers, and Rogues are all likely to become Bounty Hunters if they become interested in a single subject. Sometimes a bounty hunter is known by the type of enemy he chooses, for instance Dragon Hunter or Goblin Catcher. While the title "bounty hunter" implies that they hunt for a bounty, some characters hunt out of revenge, hatred, or even mutual respect for their prey.

Bounty Hunters have been known to track individuals across all lands and sometimes even into other planes. They have no craft or profession; usually they become so consumed with their subject that they become blinded to what is going on around them, although this is not always the case.

Hit Die: d10

Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Track
Survival 4 ranks
Search 4 ranks

Class Skills
Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Disguise (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4+Int Modifier

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Bounty Hunters gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Favored Enemy (Ex): At 1st level, a bounty hunter may select a type of creature from among those given on Table 3-14: Ranger Favored Enemies. Due to his extensive study of his chosen type of foe and training in the proper techniques for combating such creatures, the bounty hunter gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Disguise, Intimidate, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, and Use Rope checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.

At 5th and 10th level, the bounty hunter may select an additional favored enemy from those given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so so desired) increases by 2. If the bounty hunter chooses humanoids or outsiders as a favored enemy, he must also choose an associated subtype, as indicated on the table. If a specific creature falls into more than one category of favored enemy (for instance, devils are both evil outsiders and lawful outsiders), the bounty hunter's bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is higher. See the Monster Manual for more information on types of creatures.

Trackless Step(Ex): A bounty hunter leaves no trail and cannot be tracked in any environment except by a bounty hunter with Improved Track (see below).

Improved Track (Ex): A bounty hunter may track characters who have the Trackless Step ability, but it adds +1 to the Track DC per level that character has with a class that adds Trackless Step. For instance a Drd10/ByH5 adds a +15 to the Tracking DC.

Fast Movement (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a bounty hunter's land speed is faster than the norm by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor, and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the bounty hunter's speed because of any load carried or armor worn. If the bounty hunter already has this ability from another source, his bonus increases to +20 feet total.

Swift Tracker (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a bounty hunter can move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal -5 penalty. He takes only a -10 penalty (instead of the normal -20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while Tracking. If a bounty hunter has this ability from another source, he gets a bonus when tracking equal to his bounty hunter level and suffers no penalty for moving at up to twice normal speed while Tracking.

Intuitive Initiative (Ex): A bounty hunter of 6th level or higher adds his Wisdom modifier in addition to his Dexterity modifier when calculating Initiative.

Master Tracker (Ex): At 7th level a bounty hunter's senses border on magical. A bounty hunter can track someone even if they have used spells to hide their prescence like Pass Without Trace. Additionally a bounty hunter can find traces when his quarry has used any type of magic from the (teleportation) sub-school which tell him the direction they teleported.

Favored Technique (Ex): At 8th level a bounty hunter can gain a new advantage against his favored enemies. He can choose to use his favored enemy bonus to add to his AC, his reflex and will saving throws, or his attack rolls. Once chosen this technique cannot be changed, but it may be different for each favored enemy and applies whenever a bounty hunter would gain a new favored enemy.

Favored Sight (Ex): At 10th level a bounty hunter is so attuned to his favored enemies that he sees them for what they are, despite any magical deception. A bounty hunter sees the exact loactions of creatures under blur or displacement effects, sees invisible favored enemies normally, sees through illusions generated by favored enemies, and sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted favored enemies. This effect only applies if it is centered on one of his favored enemies. Finally, this sight allows him to see where his enemies may have traveled as a Master Tracker, even if that magic transported them to another plane.

BAB: Good (as Ranger)
Fortitude: Good (as Ranger)
Reflex: Good (as Ranger)
Will: Poor

1- Favored Enemy +2, Trackless Step
2- Improved Track, Fast Movement
3- Swift Tracker
4-
5- Favored Enemy +4
6- Intuitive Initiative
7- Master Tracker
8- Favored Technique
9-
10- Favored Enemy +6, Favored Sight

What do you think? Things I'm not sure about: Saving Throws, Favored Technique (power-wise), Hit Die, and overall class balance. Also I want this prc to be able to track anyone, even magical enemies by the top levels, I'm not sure the Master Tracker abilities are sufficient so if you have any suggestions...

Technik

Edited: For improved Title.
Edited2+3: For suggestions. Added Improved Track (instead of making Trackless Step too long) and Favored Sight.

Last edited:

seasong

First Post
Flavor-wise, I love it! Now to grit... ;)

One issue that I would have with it is that the ranger would seem like a good choice to move into this PrC (in terms of character motivation), but the PrC duplicates several abilities. Perhaps some alternate "ranger don't got these" abilities for characters who have them already?

I won't comment on the skills - you're much better at skill selection that I am :eek:

Trackless Step: This is perfect. You might want to add that the bounty hunter has to exceed the class level of the person he's tracking, rather than having to only exceed the class level of other bounty hunters.

Something that might be cool is for a spell-caster option, wherein the bounty hunter gets a save DC advantage vs the particular type of critter.

Overall, looks cool!

Technik4

First Post
Thanks for the response! The only thing that overlaps besides Favored Enemy is Swift Tracker, and it is gained at an equivelant level (so a Rgr8 and a Rgr5/ByH3 both have it). Everything else is actually different stuff, although Trackless Step overlaps with a low-level druid and Fast Movement overlaps (and stacks with) the barbarian ability. I think I see what you are getting at, since the druid levels stack with bounty hunter levels for tracking someone, and the fast movement stacks with the barb ability, but the swift tracking doesnt.

At any rate, Trackless Step allowing a Rgr5/ByH1 to track a drd20 is somewhat intentional. Now once she has ascertained where said druid is, she may decide to take some gold for her services and run away rather than pursue, but part of the prc is being able to track anything. Of course, it is not until higher levels that the bounty hunter can track magical sources, and even then it is not very precise. A drd20 who is aware of prcs like bounty hunter could use Pass Without Trace or just wildshape into a natural animal to avoid being tracked, it was just an extreme example. I don't see a problem with this really, any further discussion?

Spell-casting DCs is interesting, but I think that would be a seperate prc. This one grants no spellcasting in and of itself (deterring characters who want to see 9th level spells one day) and is suitable for any character wanting a "fighter-type" class without spellcasting but with a big chip on their shoulder. I was also thinking of adding 1 more requirement, since both skills are rather low in terms of cost (although only the ranger has both skills on his class list and he gets Track for free!). Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe Improved Initiative but maybe one of the new 3.5 feats applies better.

Technik

seasong

First Post
Technik4 said:
Thanks for the response! The only thing that overlaps
Ach, bad memory - I was thinking Trackless Step was a ranger ability... I was didn't add up the levels. There isn't any bad overlap like I thought. It would still be nice if Swift Tracking stacked (Greater Swift Tracking for no-penalty double moves?).

At any rate, Trackless Step allowing a Rgr5/ByH1 to track a drd20 is somewhat intentional.
Hm. That seems a bit whacky to me - druids' trackless step is downgraded to mild annoyance (the annoyance being, "where are we going to find a 6th level ranger/bounty hunter at this time of night?"). At least make it +4 levels or something ;).

A drd20 who is aware of prcs like bounty hunter could use Pass Without Trace or just wildshape into a natural animal to avoid being tracked, it was just an extreme example. I don't see a problem with this really, any further discussion?
Does the ability stack when you have two classes with it? I.e., what about a druid with one level of bounty hunter?

Spell-casting DCs is interesting, but I think that would be a seperate prc.
Fair enough :).

I was thinking maybe Improved Initiative but maybe one of the new 3.5 feats applies better.
Giving up the combat abilities of the ranger hurts - maybe a combat style track?

Technik4

First Post
If a bounty hunter has this ability from another source, he gets a bonus when tracking equal to his bounty hunter level and suffers no penalty for moving at up to twice normal speed while Tracking.

I added that line to Swift Tracking, so rangers with swift tracking from both sources are quite proficient.

Trackless step for a druid seems to be of primary use for pre-Wildshaping druids, and later if a druid has used all her wildshaping uses for the day (as a druid can simply turn into a deer, leap into a forest and become, in essense, untrackable). Pass Without Trace is also a first level druid/ranger spell, and would keep most lowly bounty hunters off the trail (but not higher level bounty hunters... :)).

I will add to the bounty hunter "Improved Track" which will allow them to track anyone, even if they have Trackless Step. The first post has been edited to reflect this.

Do you mean the bounty hunter should gain a bonus feat (ie- combat style) or do you mean that one of the possible combat styles should be a prerequisite? The bounty hunter is a fairly buff fighter, with good BAB, good fortitude and reflex, and a d10 for hit die.

Technik

Last edited:

seasong

First Post
Technik4 said:
Do you mean the bounty hunter should gain a bonus feat (ie- combat style) or do you mean that one of the possible combat styles should be a prerequisite? The bounty hunter is a fairly buff fighter, with good BAB, good fortitude and reflex, and a d10 for hit die.
I meant gain a combat style. Slower than the ranger, or not at all ;). I'm not sure. As a fighter-type, the ranger has the bonus combat feats, the bounty hunter has +1 hit point per level. Is that a fair trade?

I know I'd play the bounty hunter as is, so maybe it is.

-seasong

Technik4

First Post
I don't know about the combat styles. A lot of people don't really like them (Im somewhere in-between) because they are so limited. Also, I wouldnt want to dictate how a bounty hunter hunts, and that would require a broad combat style or a long list for the bonus feats. Either way, I think the bounty hunter is pretty buff without it.

I added Favored Sight at 10th level, and I think it makes a good goal to strive for. Especially against stronger (or more cunning) monsters, it will be a life-saver (although like the Shadowdancer, possibly a bit frustrating for DMs). I am fairly confident a bounty hunter could track someone who was being careless (regardless of magic), but someone who was taking their time (and therefore had the luxury of taking it) could throw one off with a few well-cast spells. Either way, a bounty hunter manages to track non-magically and without spells, so I think that type of flavor is nice for a lot of campaigns.

I originally added a few extra skills to the ones benefitted by Favored Enemy - Disguise (as in, easier to Disguise yourself as your enemy) and Use Rope (as in, easier to tie up your favored enemy). These are just little flavor things, but may appeal to certain players.

I'm fairly pleased with Improved Track and Trackless Step. Bigger higher magic campaigns could even use a mechanic like that (with Improved Track, Swift Tracker, and Master Tracker) as a feat progression and I think it gives more plausability to Trackless Step (seems silly 20th level rangers can't track 3rd level druids...).

I think its a good class to dip in for a couple levels, especially if you are concerned about spellcasting, but it is also very rewarding for the dedicated bounty hunter. Each level before F.E. you gain nothing, almost in anticipation of the nice gains ahead.

I think I'm pretty much finished with the class, unless someone else has some advice/criticism/gripes....

Technik

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases