D&D 5E Hexblade build assistance requested.

OzDragon

First Post
New game Level 8. What I am looking for is assistance on weather to start Fighter 1 or Sorcerer 1 then 7 levels of Hexblade. Also whether to go Half-elf, Tabaxi or Human.

Character will dump strength so heavy armor is out.

Any assistance/criticism is welcome.

Thanks

Zmajdusa

First Post
Considered going full hexblade? Your spells you can use for eldritch smite cap out at 5th level. With half elf you could pick up elven accuracy, consider grabbing the Drow magic variant since it gives you access to faerie fire and darkness, both of which can grant you advantage. You could easily have a 20 Charisma at 8th level with half elf. So you could have Devilsight, Improved Pact Weapon, Thirsting Blade, and Eldritch Smite at level 8. Lets you crit for 2d8+9 piercing and 10d8 force damage from a 150 ft range if you want to get within 30 feet, hexblade curse and move back. Ranger would be your next class, as it gives you solid access to Faerie Fire, +2 to hit from Archery fighting style, and Gloomstalker is pretty nice at its lower levels. Plus, the look on your DMs face when you get sharpshooter and land a crit with eldritch smite ought to be priceless.

OzDragon

First Post
While that seems interesting and fun to do. I'm thinking more of a melee character with either a great sword or glaive.

The reason I was thinking fighter was for the con save and great weapon fighting. Sorcerer was for con saves and 2 first level spell slots that can be used on shield and extra HP from draconic bloodline.

jbear

First Post
So I've just built a hex blade, but only to 4th level. It looks like fun and pretty awesome.

I went Half Elf. That opens up, as mentioned above, The Elven Accuracy feat at 4th level. Drop a 15 in CHA +2 gives you 17 which you can then bump to 18 at 4th level taking the Elven Accuracy feat. So now your attacks that have advantage against your Curse Target basically get THREE attack rolls per attack with a crit range of 19-20. In my campaign I don't need to worry about how to get advantage so much as we use the optional flanking rule from the DMG. Even without it, its still very good.

And the other 2 x +1's means you can have two 13's (CON & DEX) which are bumped to 14. With Medium Armour proficiency, that's all you need for DEX. (My final Stats at level 4 are STR 8 DEX 14 CON 14 INT 12 WIS 12 CHA 18) Not sure what your starting wealth is, but even with 10gp hide armour and a shield AC = 16. And that's the worst medium armour in the game, so not shabby. If you can afford half plate at level 8 start you can be AC 17 with no shield or AC19 with a shield. Otherwise a breast plate gets you AC16 with 2 handed weapon and AC18 without.

Go Pact of the Chain and take a Pixie. Honestly... if you want a familiar that adds a ridiculous amount of power, get a pixie. It's ridiculously overpowerd. It can spam greater invisibility, so its one flaw (1 hp) isn't that big of a flaw, because if the enemy knows where you rpixie is to kill it, you've messed up. With a pixie you get a druidcraft cantrip and 1/day: confusion, dancing lights, detect good/evil; detect thoughts; dispel magic; entangle, fly, phantasmal force, polymorph, sleep. So you can attack while your pixie drops sleep on a bunch of mooks, or polymorph you into a CR Level equivalent beast ... like a tyranosaurus rex for example. Or fancy flying? The DC is only 12 for the save, but just the three mentioned make it worth it alone.

Mythknight

First Post
Go Pact of the Chain and take a Pixie. Honestly... if you want a familiar that adds a ridiculous amount of power, get a pixie. It's ridiculously overpowerd. It can spam greater invisibility, so its one flaw (1 hp) isn't that big of a flaw, because if the enemy knows where you rpixie is to kill it, you've messed up. With a pixie you get a druidcraft cantrip and 1/day: confusion, dancing lights, detect good/evil; detect thoughts; dispel magic; entangle, fly, phantasmal force, polymorph, sleep. So you can attack while your pixie drops sleep on a bunch of mooks, or polymorph you into a CR Level equivalent beast ... like a tyranosaurus rex for example. Or fancy flying? The DC is only 12 for the save, but just the three mentioned make it worth it alone.

Pixie is not on the list of "improved familiars" for the PoC Warlock. The ones listed in the PHB are Imp, Pseudodragon, Quasit, or Sprite. Non of which can cast greater invisibility.

mellored

Legend
If you don't plan on getting to higher levels. Alternative human with inspiring leader at 1, poleaem master at 4, and great weapon master at 8, and +2 cha at 12 and 16.

If you plan on going higher levels, and if someone else taken inspiring leader / you have a good healer, go half-elf. Polearm master at 4, elven accuracy at 8, and great weapon master at 12, and +2 cha at 16.

A level of sorcerer is a good idea. If you don't have a scout in your part, consider 2 more to get quicken.

Last edited:

FieserMoep

Explorer
Thinking about a few builds myself I am kinda afraid about getting behind in stats due to feats too.
On the other side, quite a lot of your spells are buffs anyway and don't need a good Spell DC.
That being said, going for volume AND advantage AND maybe elven accuracy pretty much ignores your stat to hit anyway and then you are only missing out on a tiny bit of damage. That tiny bit of damage would be more than negated with the the extra attack of Crossbow Expert or Polearm Mastery easily.
Maybe that is reason enough to push them so far behind?
Not sure, never did that myself too.

mellored

Legend
Why wait so long to get the bump in stats?
What fiesermoep said.

Polearm master adds 50-100% damage, depending on how many reaction attacks you get.
Great weapon master + advantage adds about 100%. (Though that's all your spell slots, and you want to make sure to cast darkness before the battle starts, so as not to waste a turn).
Eleven accuracy with 17cha and advantage is about 20% damage.
+2 cha adds about 10% damage. (Also spell DC, but your spells are to get advantage).

You can sure up the weakness of being surprised and losing concentration by dipping sorcerer 3, fighter 2, or going straight to warlock 17 for foesight (the best option since it frees up your slots with no concentration, but many games won't make it that high)

All in all, it comes out to be much like a barbarian.

OzDragon

First Post
What if i was thinking more along the lines of elemental weapon use instead of darkness. Yes I understand darkness is optimal I'm not a fan of leaving other players out of the fun.

Remove ads