D&D 5E [HOMEBREW...KIND OF] A Good Dog

I am new to the forums. Hello there nice people!

I've been working on a patchwork/homebrew class and would like some feedback. It's a class/race where you just play a really, really good dog. Not a magical dog, just a good dog!

It's a modified version of this, but I've tried make it less a Fighter and more a support character. I also borrowed some things from the Revised Ranger from that Unearthed Arcana from a while back. I've thrown a little spaghetti at the wall here.

Some of the spaghetti might be fun: I gave the dog Dogvision instead of Darkvision. I like the idea of it being functionally interchangeable with Darkvision 90% of the time, but that 10% would be a doozy. Like being able to see the Gloomstalker! Then you get that classic moment of the only character who knows about The Eminent Danger is the dog! ("What is it, Fido? What's wrong?")

Some of the spaghetti might be...spaghetti: I'll be the first to admit my understanding of D&D's behind-the-curtain math is limited, especially for higher level characters. Apologies ahead of time for things that are over-powered, under-powered, or simply mistake-powered!

[sblock]
You're a Dog
You can't hold things in your hands. You can't climb ropes or ladders. You can follow most strong scents, and recognize scents you've encountered before. You can understand the words of your fellow PCs and those that your fellow PCs are talking to (via body cues and doggy intuition), but if you are interacting with NPCs alone, you are pretty clueless.

You're an amazingly intelligent dog: roll Intelligence normally, but be aware that this is Doggy Intelligence, and isn't suitable for all things. For example, you can spot a trap, count coins, or remember a location you haven't been to in years. However, you cannot solve linguistic puzzles or use tools, because smart dogs aren't smart in that way.

Dog Traits
Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom and Dexterity scores increase by 1.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 40 feet.
Dogvision: You can see well in dark and dim Conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in Darkness as if it were dim light. However, you see mostly in shades of blue, yellow, and brown; regardless of lighting situations.
Keen Hearing and Smell: You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
Languages: You understand Common and one language of your choice, but cannot speak these languages. You speak Canine fluently.
Dog Quest: At a certain point, you will attract the attention of the Dog Barons. They will give you a quest to prove your doggishness. If you succeed, you will win allies among the Dog Clans, and can call on their help in most towns and cities.

Hit Dice: 1d10 per dog level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per dog level after 1st

Starting Proficiencies

Armor:
Light Armor, Medium Armor
Weapons:
None
Bite Attack:
2d6 + Dexterity Modifier
Tools:
none
Saving Throws:
Dexterity, Wisdom
Skills:
Choose two skills from Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Athletics, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, and Survival

Starting Equipment

You start with no items or equipment.

Dog Features

Best Friend
At 1st level, pick a best friend. You both get +1 AC and +1 Save when fighting beside each other. If your Best Friend dies, you can pick a new one after playing 1 full session as a sad, sad dog.

Ways to Be A Good Dog

At 1st level, you choose a Way of being a dog. Choose a Way from the list below. You can't take the same Way more than once. At 10th and 17th level, you choose another Way.

Guard Dog
When you bite an opponent no larger than a human, you pull them to the ground. The target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, you knock the target Prone. When next to an allied creature within 5 feet, you are both immune to being Frightened. The range is 10 feet for your Best Friend.

Watchdog

Not on your watch! When a creature you can see attacks your Best Friend, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the Attack roll. Your Best friend must be within 10 feet of you.

Nice Doggie

People can’t help but like you! You get a +2 to your Charisma score. Your Best Friend also receives this bonuses if you are within sight of them.

Sly Dog

Who’s a good sneaky dog? You are! You get a +2 all Stealth and Acrobatics skill checks. Your Best Friend also receives these bonuses if you are with them. You can also use a Bonus Action on your turn to take the Hide or Disengage actions. Being stealthy no longer affects you movement/travel speed.

Bloodhound

You’ve got a nose like no other. You can locate a specific creature or object, or the nearest creature of a specific kind, so long as you have smelled the the creature/object at least once. You must have been within 30 feet to smell a creature and within 1 foot to smell an object.
You lose the scent if the creature or object crosses running water at least 10 feet wide.

Underdog

Nothing will keep you down! If you have no more than half your hit points, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 10 + your Dog Level. You can use this ability once per short or long rest. You get a bonus to your AC equal to your level, to a maximum of +6, but only while unarmored and able to defend yourself.

Salty Sea Dog
The water is an old friend. You swimming speed, both above and below water, becomes equal to your normal movement speed. You can now hold your breath for 10 minutes. Being underwater poses no penalties to your Attacks, and you have resistance to fire damage.

Sniff The Air
Starting at 2nd level, your sleuthing schnoz can uncover the truth. At a range of 1 foot, you can determine if an item/creature is poisonous or diseased. Within 50 feet, you can determine the presence of Undead creatures.

Wag
Who could dislike such a good dog? At 2nd level, you can target a creature and start wagging your tail. The creature must make a Charisma saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it regards you as friendly and will not Attack you. This effect lasts until you or your companions do anything harmful to it.

Best Friends Never Give Up!
At 3rd Level, if your Best Friend is ever at 0 HP, you can lick their face to restore 1d6+1 HP. If your Best Friend is ever paralyzed, mind-controlled, raging, or otherwise out of control, you can lick/bite them (whichever is more appropriate) to give them a new save against the effect. Only works on things that allow saves in the first place.

Ability Score Improvement

When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two Ability Scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Coordinated Attack
Beginning at 5th level, you and your Best Friend form a more potent fighting team. When you use the Attack action on your turn, if your companion can see you, they can use their reaction to make a melee attack.

Extra Attack
At 7th Level, you can Attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on Your Turn.

Bark Worse Than Bite
At 9th level, you can spook a foe by letting out a convincing growl. Target a creature that can see and hear you. This creature must make a Wisdom check contested against your Intimidation. If the creature fails, it is Frightened. This effect lasts until you attempt to Attack it. If the creature succeeds, then it is immune to this effect for the next 24 hours.

Doggie Defense

At 11th level, you can reroll a saving throw that you fail. If you are within 10 feet of your Best Friend, you can reroll a saving throw they fail. In either case, you must use the new roll, and you can't use this feature again until you finish a Long Rest.

Doggone Persistence
At 13th level, you just won’t stay down! When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for a melee Attack, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2.

Superior Doggie Defense
At 15th level, whenever an attacker that your Best Friend can see hits it with an attack, it can use its reaction to halve the attack’s damage against it.

The Nose Knows
At 20th Level, you can track anything that passed through where you are in the last 100 years without error, as long as you know what it smells like.

[/sblock]

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Instead of armor proficiency, you should probably give this class natural armor like the Barbarian gets (add constitution bonus to AC).

2d6 is absolutely insane damage for a bite attack. I understand that this was an attempt to balance out all the major disadvantages this character would have, but it is still quite crazy. Maybe instead of such a high damage, you can give it a more reasonable 1d6 damage but make it so that a creature has to make a save against a knockdown/grapple attempt on any round a dog successfully bites similar to how the wolf's attack works.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Agree with TheHobgoblin's armour suggestion

I'd be more inclined to use the monk's martial arts damage (start at 1d4 and eventually move up to 1d10)

Different dogs might use Strength or Con over Dex

Some nice thoughts here. Although I think the playstyle might get old fast for me.

Ps. Welcome to EN World. Nice first post!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! These are all good ideas :) I'll tinker around with the bite damage so it's not so OP.

And I'll definitely check out Pugmire! An RPG full of adorable dogs: my prayers have been answered!

Wiseblood

Adventurer
My android won't open the spoiler so I just have the other posts to go on.

2d6 damage matches greatsword I don't see an issue there (unless there is a free trip).

Natural armor sounds good but IIRC barding doesn't require proficiency. (IMO good dogs are loyal and smart-ish)

GreenTengu

Adventurer
My android won't open the spoiler so I just have the other posts to go on.

2d6 damage matches greatsword I don't see an issue there (unless there is a free trip).

Natural armor sounds good but IIRC barding doesn't require proficiency. (IMO good dogs are loyal and smart-ish)

The problem with 2d6 is that it isn't coming from a weapon, it is coming from a natural attack that cannot be disarmed.

Moreover, it is specifically narratively the bite of a dog. The bite of a wolf deals 2d4 damage and can cause knock-down. And wolves generally have far greater biting strength than the vast majority of dogs. Wolfs biting strength is between 400 PSI. The only dog that outdoes it is the Mastiff at 550 PSI, but the next highest is Rottweilers with around 350 and literally all others dogs with less than 250. Since we can be pretty sure this class doesn't universally represent Mastiffs or even Rottweilers, we can surmise that 2d4 would really be much higher damage than can be expected.
A Worg's bite causes 2d6 damage, but a Worg is a large sized dog-- i.e. it is over 8' long and weighs over 500 pounds.

So that gives us the range of what is appropriate.

Stealing the monk's damage progression seems like a way to go, presuming you give the dog the same ability to make an attack as a bonus action and something akin to the martial arts ability to spend "ki" to turn that into 2 attacks as a bonus action (or dodge or disengage if you choose).

clutchbone

First Post
First, I love this so much.

As others have said, Monk's damage progression makes a lot of sense. Personally, I'd make them +1 Str +2 Wis (or even +1 Str +1 Con +1 Wis) and give them Unarmored Defense, monk version (or barbarian version with the variant ability scores).

Nitpicky stuff:
Dogs can be trained to climb ladders. Check youtube.
Guard Dog: I'd make this a bonus action, like Shield Master, against medium sized or smaller creatures, and reduce it to adv. on saves vs. frightened.
Nice doggie: reiterate that abilities can't go above 20.
Sly Dog: Stealth isn't on their skill list. I'd actually take Acrobatics off the base skill list, and change this feature to add proficiency in stealth and acrobatics.
Underdog: Make the AC bonus = proficiency bonus. Also, is this all the time? Or just temporary when using the feature? All the time makes this pretty much mandatory if you don't have unarmored defense.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases