Valindra Shadowmantle

CapnZapp

Legend
I myself had no idea who this was, but I'm beginning to understand she's a major NPC in books and games.

But the Tomb of Annihilation doesn't mention any of this. In fact, I would assume she introduces herself with her real name, while disguised as an ordinary Elf.

But will not readers and players immediately recognize the name, and suspect she's more than she let's on?

My question is: if she really is that much of a "name NPC", why doesn't the text offer a false name for her to use?

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Wiseblood

Adventurer
It is probably an easter egg for readers of FR novels. Interacting with PC's doesn't fit with my vision of a lich with an organization like the Host Tower of the Arcane and the Arcane Brotherhood. That is what lackeys are for. If the PC's meet a villain I want them to know it. Unless that is the villains shtick like a doppleganger.

ccs

41st lv DM
Depends on how much & what those players & readers have read.
I'm the DM. I've been playing this game since long before FR existed. And this is the 1st time I've run across this NPC.
Whatever FR novels she appeared in? Never read them.
Whatever 4e stuff she was in? Never touched it, let alone read it.
Never played the NW pc game.
If she was mentioned 25+/- years ago in the 2e RedWizards/Thay guide (that I read once) then I've completely forgotten her.

Depends on how much & what those players & readers have read.
I'm the DM. I've been playing this game since long before FR existed. And this is the 1st time I've run across this NPC.
Whatever FR novels she appeared in? Never read them.
Whatever 4e stuff she was in? Never touched it, let alone read it.
Never played the NW pc game.
If she was mentioned 25+/- years ago in the 2e RedWizards/Thay guide (that I read once) then I've completely forgotten her.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Valindra_Shadowmantle

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Valindra shows up in the 4e Neverwinter Campaign Setting.
She is also in the Drizzt novel series (one has 'Gauntlegrym' in the title, one has 'Neverwinter' in the title, didn't read the others) written to support that book.

I was surprised to look through Tomb and see her present; she seemed tied down up north, running projects that the Sundering would doom to failure.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Chris probably figured that anyone who felt like Shadowmantle was too well known for the campaign they were running were probably able to create a pseudonym on their own if their story demanded it.

Her general gimmick is that she is Szass Tam's primary agent outside of Thay. Neverwinter has largely recovered so I can see her taking other missions from Tam like taking a look at this Soulmonger thing in Chult.

It is probably an easter egg for readers of FR novels. Interacting with PC's doesn't fit with my vision of a lich with an organization like the Host Tower of the Arcane and the Arcane Brotherhood. That is what lackeys are for. If the PC's meet a villain I want them to know it. Unless that is the villains shtick like a doppleganger.

She does not really have anything to do with the Host Tower or the Arcane Brotherhood anymore. She is an agent of Szass Tam. Her primary roles were not in FR Novels (though she did show up there) but in the Neverwinter Campaign Setting and Neverwinter MMORPG.

Last edited:

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Her general gimmick is that she is Szass Tam's primary agent outside of Thay. Neverwinter has largely recovered so I can see her taking other missions from Tam like taking a look at this Soulmonger thing in Chult.

She does not really have anything to do with the Host Tower or the Arcane Brotherhood anymore. She is an agent of Szass Tam. Her primary roles were not in FR Novels (though she did show up there) but in the Neverwinter Campaign Setting and Neverwinter MMORPG.

I should have remembered that Szass Tam thing Red Wizards got muddled up in my brain with other Wizards. Unless she was with the Arcane Brotherhood too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases