pogre's model and figure thread

pogre said:
I did some speed painting tonight for fun. When I have a miniature turn out poorly a little speed painting makes a great change of pace. I'll post the results when its done.

Pogre, I've got 2 questions for you about speed painting. In your article over at d20zines.com, you say to use a mix of "thinned Vallejo Smoke with at least 50% water/Future Floorwax Acrylic".

1. Which Vallejo Smoke paint are you talking about? Game Colors #68 Smokey Ink or Model Colors #181 Smoke? Are there any other brand and colors you can recommend in place of the smoke? I can't find Vallejo around here, and wanted to try some speed painting this weekend. All the stores around here carry either GW or Model Masters paints.

2. And are you thinning it with a mix of water and Future Floorwax, or either water or Future Floorwax? I've read about using Future to thin paints, but have never tried it.

Thanks!
Rich

pogre

Legend
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
Pogre, I've got 2 questions for you about speed painting. In your article over at d20zines.com, you say to use a mix of "thinned Vallejo Smoke with at least 50% water/Future Floorwax Acrylic".

1. Which Vallejo Smoke paint are you talking about? Game Colors #68 Smokey Ink or Model Colors #181 Smoke? Are there any other brand and colors you can recommend in place of the smoke? I can't find Vallejo around here, and wanted to try some speed painting this weekend. All the stores around here carry either GW or Model Masters paints.

2. And are you thinning it with a mix of water and Future Floorwax, or either water or Future Floorwax? I've read about using Future to thin paints, but have never tried it.

Thanks!
Rich

Hi Rich,

1. Model Colors #181 Smoke. I have also used Tamiya Color Smoke (X-19). One other alternative is to use some GW black ink suspended in the future floorwax mixture.

2. I thinned the model color with water and future floorwax.

Let me tell you about another great inking trick I learned since that article was published. I went to a seminar on painting by Joe Ortega. Joe is a multiple Golden Demon award winner and had a lot of cool ideas for fine tuning sculpting - but I digress. Take some Elmer's glue and add a small drop to your inks.

Now, I know it seems counter-intuitive, but it really works. What happens is the ink suspends in the crevices and recesses a little better, but still flows like a straight ink. It really looks fantastic when used in conjunction with armor washes. It seems to reduce bubbling that some inks do when used as washes. Try it and see what you think.

I also have adopted one of Joe's painting methods for achieving a highly layered look with less work. It takes a bit of explaining and so I'll try to whip up an article explaining the method. It is by no means a speed method, but gets pretty nice blended results with less effort.

Thanks for the questions Rich. Take care and enjoy the painting!

Last edited:

The Madhatter

First Post
I really like the Elmer's Glue Idea! I am definitely going to try that! I read somewhere about a drop of "washing up" liquid in your inks helps prevent pooling/splotching, but I haven't seen a lot of results. Maybe I put too little, but I was worried about foam when I shook the pot. I will study your articles intently Pogre.

Captain Howdy

Explorer
Hey Pogre. I am wondering about that vrock... Is that an out of the package miniature, or did you do that custom? If it is a kit, who makes it? I am just wondering because it is a really cool design. Or, if you really think that paint job sucks, you could always just give that one to me :D . Really though, I think it's a pretty decent job (although, I guess for you decent doesn't quite cut it...).

pogre

Legend
Now, some speed painting:
A bit of camp "furniture" for fun. Grendel Resin.

The pictures below are thumbnail links to a larger pics.

pogre

Legend
A monster I did a while ago - not posted until my party confronted him ;)

This is a thumbnail that links to a larger picture -

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases