pogre's model and figure thread

ledded

Herder of monkies
Nice warjacks, Pogre. Did you white-prime those before painting, or did you try to do the black-prime-5000-layers-of-red-to-build-the-color-up method?

Man, I was catching up here and realized that you live near Champaign, IL. Wish I would have known that a year or so back, I used to have to travel to Champaign a good bit off-and-on to do consulting work at the Kraft plant there, and often had to spend weekends/holidays up there bored out of my skull and lamenting my lack of gaming while my regular game marched on without me back home.

pogre

Legend
ledded said:
Nice warjacks, Pogre. Did you white-prime those before painting, or did you try to do the black-prime-5000-layers-of-red-to-build-the-color-up method?

the 5,000 layers method - why yes, I do hate red.
ledded said:
Man, I was catching up here and realized that you live near Champaign, IL. Wish I would have known that a year or so back, I used to have to travel to Champaign a good bit off-and-on to do consulting work at the Kraft plant there, and often had to spend weekends/holidays up there bored out of my skull and lamenting my lack of gaming while my regular game marched on without me back home.

We game about 3 miles from the Kraft plant :\ I wish I would have known!

One of my players (Space Hulkster) lives about 0.75 miles from the plant.

If you ever get this way again - let me know. I realize you have changed jobs since then...

hwoolsey

First Post
pogre said:

He mentioned that he was using this method and hated my figures. I offered to let him use the olive-drab color scheme for them, but he said he already had too much done to cover it.

I think they look great - I'll get to hold them in my grubby little mitts Wedensday night. Until then I just have to drool over the same pictures everyone else gets to see.

pogre said:
If you ever get this way again - let me know. I realize you have changed jobs since then...

Ditto - always fun to meet other gamers, even on a temporary basis.

Hank

WizarDru

Adventurer
Another awesome job. I personally think the side-views show them off better than the head-on view...but I could be hooked on crack again.

Now, the important question (and understand, I directly blame you for the Hirst Arts fever the Meepites underwent in 2004)...what are the various colored post-its in the dungeon? Notes? Corpses? 'Fess up, man.

ledded

Herder of monkies
pogre said:

Heh. I thought I detected an organic blood-like quality to one of the shades. Plus the tear-and-sweat-stains on the bases kinda gave it away :).

Would you believe the first time I found out about the red-over-black was by accident as a neophyte... I had some armored bad guys who I sprayed black and then tried to paint red on... over, and over, and over. Actually tossed out a pot of red paint because I thought it was defective, and was about to toss another when I tried a third and it had the same issue. A quick google later, and I was fishing in the trash for my red paint :)

However, that all being said, it *does* look damn good when it's done, especially when you vary the shades between layers.

We game about 3 miles from the Kraft plant :\ I wish I would have known!

One of my players (Space Hulkster) lives about 0.75 miles from the plant.

Yeah, I actually liked that town... not too big but enough fun stuff to do because of the college and everything. I *hated* doing work at the plant, because some of the people I had to work with were... difficult. And that freakin' plant was *huge*, over a square mile under one roof, and of course the computer area was in the front, and my end-users were in the opposite corner. And they wouldnt let us stoopid consultants use the little carts to drive over there because we weren't *trained* to... :). Got a lot of exercise though.

That company I worked with that had Kraft as a client has called me several times to come back to work, if I ever completely lose all hold on reality and go back to work with them I'll probably end up there eventually, and I'll drop ya'll a line.

So... just a few miles from the plant... ya'll dont happen to play at 'The Silver Bullet' over by the college, do ya? ;)

pogre

Legend
WizarDru said:
Another awesome job. I personally think the side-views show them off better than the head-on view...but I could be hooked on crack again.

Now, the important question (and understand, I directly blame you for the Hirst Arts fever the Meepites underwent in 2004)...what are the various colored post-its in the dungeon? Notes? Corpses? 'Fess up, man.

Hey thanks!

Those colored cards are original vintage 1974 Dungeon! encounter cards my friend.

pogre

Legend
ledded said:
So... just a few miles from the plant... ya'll dont happen to play at 'The Silver Bullet' over by the college, do ya? ;)

No gaming there, but a few years ago - pre-marriage days, we used to have football meetings over there with our staff. I kind of miss coaching with those guys ;) My current football staff would be more likely to meet in a church - but that's cool too.
Nyrfherdr said:
Those turned out well Pogre.
Nice to see them finished.

Thanks nyrf. The best thing I can say about them is - they're done.

Last edited:

ledded

Herder of monkies
pogre said:
No gaming there, but a few years ago - pre-marriage days, we used to have football meetings over there with our staff. I kind of miss coaching with those guys ;)

Yeah, I had a few business meetings at that place. Seems to be a popular place for that. Must have been the food.

My current football staff would be more likely to meet in a church - but that's cool too.

Oh yes, that is certainly cool too. And it's probably better for you what with not having all that exposure to massive amounts of silicone (and I mean massive...;) )

Keep up the good work. I'm going to try to finish up a few projects I've had on the burners if I can ever wrest control of my life back from Knights of the Old Republic II :)

hwoolsey

First Post
pogre said:
All pictures are thumbnail link to larger photos.

Finally got some of those Privateer WarMachine figures done. Unfortunately, one of my lighting bulbs burned out and I have not had a chance to replace it and so the pictures may appear a little darker.

These turned out so much better than Pogre's pictures show (no dig intended about his photography skills - just a compliment on his painting ability). They are absolutely amazing.

I can not say enough good things about these figs. He did exactly what I wanted with the colors, based on my admittedly weak descriptions. (Somehow "You know, redder" doesn't seem like I'm being particularly helpful in my descriptions.)

I'm always torn - just when I start thinking I might want to paint again (after many years of a break) I look at the figures in Pogre's minis cabinet (which are always available - they live in the corner of my game room) and then think I'd much rather pay him than put my efforts next to things he's painted.

He's amazing.

Hank Woolsey

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases