pogre's model and figure thread

pogre

Legend
Captain Howdy said:
Did you use some sort of visual aid, or did you just go by what you thought the areas should look like?

Thanks for the compliment Captain. I used a picture of a burning pinetree for reference.

nyrfherdr said:
How does it look on the tabletop?

O.K. The blending could have been smoother, but I like the effect. I'll try it again soon.

pogre

Legend
I'll tell you, it's a diabolical plot! No matter what I do my demons just do not turn out looking good. I am embarassed to tell you how much time I have in this Vrock, but blah. The pictures are not very good, but this fig does not deserve much more. A friend suggested posting it to show that I come up short sometimes. It's worthy of the gaming table and my players will be complimentary, but I won't be passing it around...

The pictures below are thumbnail links to a larger pics.

The Madhatter

First Post
Static Grass

Do you have an article explaining your technique on the lovely lush tufts of static grass I've seen on some of your minis? I have recenty begun using it since I've started expanding my base preparation, and I've only gotten anemic results with static grass. It looks better than fock, but it would never be mistaken for living grass. Thanks again for the cool pics!

pogre

Legend
The Madhatter said:
Do you have an article explaining your technique on the lovely lush tufts of static grass I've seen on some of your minis? I have recenty begun using it since I've started expanding my base preparation, and I've only gotten anemic results with static grass. It looks better than fock, but it would never be mistaken for living grass. Thanks again for the cool pics!

The key is not to press the grass down. Pile the grass up with twezzer onto the glue and then wait a second. Shake the loose stuff off and blow on the grass to make it stand up. I use a dry brush to stand it up a bit more and paint it a bit.

I explained my simple basing method in this article.

Thanks for stopping by and let me know how your bases turn out.

nyrfherdr

First Post
Pogre,
You might want to get some good photos of bird wings. There is a surprising range of colors and feather detail that you can incorporate to add the zing you are looking for.
You would probably want to use different vulture wings as a reference for your Vrock.

I'm not at my main computer, so I can't send the link, but there is a great web page from the University of Puget Sound with top and bottom photos of bird wings.

Anyway... I think it looks pretty good, if even.
By the way: TAG

Game ON!
Nyrfherdr

WizarDru

Adventurer
pogre said:
I'll tell you, it's a diabolical plot! No matter what I do my demons just do not turn out looking good. I am embarassed to tell you how much time I have in this Vrock, but blah. The pictures are not very good, but this fig does not deserve much more. A friend suggested posting it to show that I come up short sometimes. It's worthy of the gaming table and my players will be complimentary, but I won't be passing it around...
Boy, I wish I could suck that good. I've painted a single mini in my life that I actually can look at it with anything resembling pride.

Keep posting 'em, man. We luv to see 'em.

pogre

Legend
Wow nyrfherdr! That was practically a tagback ;)

Thanks for the site reference - I spent about 45 minutes there tonight. I'm calling the Vrock done and I'm going to buy another to try again.

I did some speed painting tonight for fun. When I have a miniature turn out poorly a little speed painting makes a great change of pace. I'll post the results when its done.

Thanks for the compliment WizarDru! The great thing is you do not need to paint well - just leave it to Scorch et al. You just keep crankin' out that twisted campaign of yours!

nyrfherdr

First Post
Pogre,
You're welcome. I'm always downloading photos of animals. My wife bought me a photo reference book for my birthday. I'll grab the title when I'm home. Tons of different, high quality shots of animals for fur, feather, scales, pattern references etc.

I do the speed painting thing too. Or I'll assemble and base up a bunch of models, or sculpt or something. Break things up.

I'll post another of my mini's today.

Game ON!
Nyrf

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases