pogre's model and figure thread

OK, I'm going to have to stop saying "Wow" every time you post something. :)

I think I finally need to pick those molds up at GenCon this year. I've put them off the past 2 years.

The_Universe

First Post
This is super awesome. Between this and the other Hirst-Arts threads, I'm dying to start trying my own. But I'd need so much money...and so much room...and so much time...

pogre

Legend
Old One said:
Dude,

I have a total man-crush on you! Err...well, your minis work at least ;). That is just too cool. <Starts making plans to kidnap Pogre and chain him the basement for a year with unlimited model-making supplies>.

~ OO

Thanks, but I like the winning the lottery plan much better!

Wizardru said:
Another insanely awesome piece. I don't even know if I have a use for such a piece, but I'd sorely like to get Scorch or Valanthe to make one. I could definitely find a use for an actual cell like that, somewhere. Bravo, sir, bravo.

Thanks, I thought the same thing as I started, but using the top piece as cells seals the deal for me too.

Cthulhu's Librarian said:
OK, I'm going to have to stop saying "Wow" every time you post something.

I think I finally need to pick those molds up at GenCon this year. I've put them off the past 2 years.

Thanks Rich,

You will not regret the purchase of molds. It is time consuming, but it's a lot of fun.

The Universe said:
This is super awesome. Between this and the other Hirst-Arts threads, I'm dying to start trying my own. But I'd need so much money...and so much room...and so much time...

<subliminal message>Do it, do it, do it.</subliminal message>
The buy in cost is not cheap, but once you start it's pretty reasonable. The nice thing is you can cast bricks while you are doing other things - like posting on a message board.

Nyrfherdr said:
Hey Pogre,
Very nice. Nice to see you back doing what really matters.

Game ON!
Nyrfherdr

Thanks - you were tagging me to death there!

The gent who made the trade with me likes the pictures too. Perhaps he will post some pictures of it in play at some point.

I really appreciate your comments - they mean a lot to me.

kengar

First Post
Very nice!

Question about the molds; how long does the dental plaster take to finish drying if you don't stick it in the oven, etc. and just let the bricks air dry?

pogre

Legend
kengar said:
Very nice!

Question about the molds; how long does the dental plaster take to finish drying if you don't stick it in the oven, etc. and just let the bricks air dry?

I have no idea - I use a cheap food dehydrator. It takes about an hour in that.

pogre

Legend
Some of you may recall I wrote an article for d20 Magazine Rack on Painting Inspiration that advocated:
Thousands of Unpainted Figures
You have tons of miniatures just waiting for a layer of paint. As a matter of fact your enthusiasm for buying miniatures really has not waned, but you just do not have time to paint much anymore. Strangely, your passion for purchasing miniatures may be killing off your passion to paint. A huge miniature collection can make taking up the brush too large a task. You need to change gears and give your self a chance. Here is a formula I have used and many others to jump start folks with giant unpainted miniature collections and no will to paint.

Sort your miniatures into piles labeled: games I am now playing, games I know I will be playing in the next month, games I love, but have not played in years but still love, and games I am no longer interested in.

Start selling/giving those piles away in reverse order until you have less than 20 models. It will be painful, but it is necessary.

Buy the best paints and brushes you can afford. Use the profits of your miniature sales to buy those new paints. Throw away or sell most of your old stuff.

Paint ONE figure at a time. Having a limited selection and a light at the end of the tunnel is often enough to get folks going again.

I am in the process of doing just that. I need to clear my workspace - it's driving me crazy! So take a look in the marketplace section for links to my auctions or search for pogre on ebay. Remember every penny goes to support dungeon design workshop!

kengar

First Post
pogre said:
Some of you may recall I wrote an article for d20 Magazine Rack on Painting Inspiration that advocated:

Thousands of Unpainted Figures
You have tons of miniatures just waiting for a layer of paint. As a matter of fact your enthusiasm for buying miniatures really has not waned, but you just do not have time to paint much anymore. Strangely, your passion for purchasing miniatures may be killing off your passion to paint. A huge miniature collection can make taking up the brush too large a task. You need to change gears and give your self a chance. Here is a formula I have used and many others to jump start folks with giant unpainted miniature collections and no will to paint.

Sort your miniatures into piles labeled: games I am now playing, games I know I will be playing in the next month, games I love, but have not played in years but still love, and games I am no longer interested in.

Start selling/giving those piles away in reverse order until you have less than 20 models. It will be painful, but it is necessary.

Buy the best paints and brushes you can afford. Use the profits of your miniature sales to buy those new paints. Throw away or sell most of your old stuff.

Paint ONE figure at a time. Having a limited selection and a light at the end of the tunnel is often enough to get folks going again.
I am in the process of doing just that. I need to clear my workspace - it's driving me crazy! So take a look in the marketplace section for links to my auctions or search for pogre on ebay. Remember every penny goes to support dungeon design workshop!

Well, my wife LOVES this idea! ;)

I'll have to ponder this. Many of my unpainteds are out of the box and some are even primed. There's a handful of sculpts I dearly want to paint myself, regardless of use in play. You're probably right though that many of the rank & file could go to eBay and find better homes.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Painting a little bit in between gaming sessions and fishing. One of the characters in my campaign, Justinius (played by Hairy Minotaur), picked up some figurines of wondrous power that turned into two adult male lions. I had picked up some lions from the Steve Barber collection and decided this was a great excuse to paint them up. If you have the Tokens song going through your head - my apologies!

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases