pogre's model and figure thread

pogre

Legend
Making Pewter Miniatures From RTV Molds (Part One)

Greetings and salutations after an extended absence. Tonight I started creating the RTF rubber molds for the ENWorld sculpting project. I thought I might share a few insights as to how I produce an RTV mold and prove that I am finally moving on this project.

First up is the materials required. You can see some original greens: a nasty looking spell template from yours truly (more on that later) and nyrf’s incredible steampunk wizard. You can see the wizard is armless – I had to cut them off to ensure no mold undercuts and hopefully a better pouring mold.

You can also see my RTV rubber parts A & B, Jeweler’s mold separation cream, A measuring cup and small scale, A piece of ceramic tile, Synthetic modeling clay, and toy building blocks (legos). Not pictured are a bunch of paper towels, two old spoons, and an old butter knife.

making_molds_01.jpg

My first task is to create a frame and bed for each of the molds. I make the frame from building blocks and then lay down a bunch of the synthetic clay on the bottom. You can see I am doing this all on a ceramic tile. The ceramic will not react with the RTV. I then place the models down about half way into the clay. This is where the mold line will appear when I pour the figures.

making_molds_02.jpg

Doesn’t nyrf’s wizard look so sad without arms? Couldn’t be helped. Take cheer nyrf – my wife was very impressed with your sculpt. She’s brutally honest so that it is high praise indeed.

Next, I’m going to measure the frames to calculate the cc of RTV I will need to fill each mold frame half.

making_molds_03.jpg

Sadly, there are not a lot of pictures for the next part as it is time sensitive and I have to move quickly. Next time if the wife is up I will have her take some shots. I measure part “A” of RTV into my cup. Note that this stuff will stain anything and will absolutely ruin clothes – be very careful and clean up messes with dry paper towels as quickly as possible. I place the cup on the scale and use a straw to put 1/10 th of the weight of part “B” into the cup. I stir the RTV very well with my old butter knife.

I use an old paint brush and brush some of the RTV directly onto the figures. This helps avoid air pockets next to the figures. Throw the brush away after this because it is ruined. Next, slowly pour the RTV into the mold halves.

making_molds_04.jpg

Now, we just have to wait 8-hours to see how the first half came out.

In Part 2 I will cover making the second half of the molds…

pogre

Legend
All pictures are thumbnail link to larger photos.

Making Pewter Miniatures From RTV Molds (Part Two)

Welcome to part 2 of creating RTV molds wherein pogre curses a great deal.

My first task was to break the mold frames apart to check out how things went. You can see in the picture below where the RTV rubber met the synthetic clay.

Buried somewhere in that odd sandwich is our figure. So I need to peel the clay off. Ahhh, there he is our happy nyrf’s wizard. He still has some clay stuck to him, but the mold looks very good.

I use a very soft bristled toothbrush to clean the clay and stray rtv off of the model. Now this is pretty dull work, but it is critical to getting a clean mold.

I finish peeling the clay off of the other molds and gather up the clay for use on the next set of molds.

Of the three molds, I was most pleased with nyrf’s wizard’s body mold – it looks very clean. The arms were so-so. Something used in the wrench arm reacted to the rtv in an odd way – I’m not sure what happened. It looks like I may have lost a small wire off of the arm or something. The other arm and the wizard’s helper arm look fine. We will see how they cast.

The next step is to reseat the figures in the half molds and coat them with mold release. The blurry picture of this below is due to one handed camera shooting ;)

Next up is a process I described in part one, but this time I have a picture or two thans to the wife. First coating the figures with rtv using a brush.

Then slowly pouring the molds.

Now I just have to wait until tomorrow to start working on the whole mold.

In part three I will cover cutting and preparing the molds for casting.

nyrfherdr

First Post
Pogre: I'm not sure what could have reacted. I didn't use any glue (I don't think), just the lead armature, some wire, green stuff and 'brown' stuff. I hope it comes out ok...

Just some ramblings of the nyrfherdr
Game ON!

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Moderator's Notes:

Wulf, if you're going to sit next to Alice Roosevelt Longworth, it's a good idea to use your inside voice.

Or, at least, a smiley.
(Edit: the smiley may be for the benefit of other folks, so that they don't report it to me--if both of y'all are okay with rough humor, then that'll keep me from having to get involved)

Daniel

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Folks,

Wulf and I are old friends. Believe me when I say - don't sweat it at all. I guarantee you neither I nor he took offense at our respective comments.

The fact is he made a gotcha on me in pure terms - I plain missed those flash marks when I painted that privateer stuff. He's just sticking it to a friend a bit. I've seen his painting - he's seen mine. Believe me when I say I'm not worried ;)

On the other hand, I wish I had half of his writing talent.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I was confident that pogre would take the busting of his balls in the spirit intended without the need for the :p .

I think the really amazing thing here is that somebody actually reported that post.

pogre said:
I've seen his painting - he's seen mine. Believe me when I say I'm not worried.

True.

On the other hand, I wish I had half of his writing talent.

When you have talent like mine, you realize that including a semi-ecliptical construct like So, what, ... imparts through writing the necessary tone of voice to convey the intended snark, which is far preferable to something as philistine as :p .

To put it another way, using :p is like using WonderWash and a white drybrush to cop out of having to actually do all your highlights and shadows by hand.

nyrfherdr

First Post
Enough with the derailment from Wulf.

Pogre... let's see the next RTV step. You've got us on pins and needles here. I want to see the final molds...

Game ON!
Nyrfherdr

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases