pogre's model and figure thread

pogre

Legend
I separated the first molds this morning. The new jeweler's cream I used as a mold separator is not as good as the old stuff I used to employ. The molds look a little rough. The wizard's body looks very good, but the arms sprue mold is a mess. Further, as I pulled the arms' sprue mold apart both of the wizard's arms came apart. I saved the pieces, but I don't know if they will cast very well. I'll certainly try. My apologies to nyrf - hopefully the casts will look good.

I started work on the other molds and will start cutting and prepping them when I finish them all. I could be pouring pewter by mid-week or so.

D'karr

Adventurer
These look fantastic.

Great work Pogre. Can't wait to see the actual pewter minis. Keep posting pics, this adds a lot of depth to the total sculpting challenge.

pogre

Legend
All pictures are thumbnail link to larger photos.

A quick update: I just poured the first half of the molds for D'karr and Shape D. Below is the six molds set in clay first:

I did take some liberties with D'karr's creations. First their shape necessitated full molds as opposed to longer sprues to get a full pour. That meant a lot more RTV so I picked out what I thought were the most interesting pieces for the molds. I left the table out and a few other pieces. We should still have lots of accessories for the wizard's lab.

I think I have just enough RTV left to finish these molds. At least that's the plan for tomorrow night.

The yellow arrow is pointing to the stack of three molds I have finished already. I already cut them and they are ready for casting.

We're getting closer! I do not know if I will be able to cast them early this week or not. We are adding onto our house and I have to paint the addition this week after work. The addition is about 1200 square feet and includes a vaulted ceiling. Not a small job :\

Last edited:

D'karr

Adventurer
These are looking fantastic. Mold casting looks like a hard task. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.

pogre said:
I did take some liberties with D'karr's creations. First their shape necessitated full molds as opposed to longer sprues to get a full pour. That meant a lot more RTV so I picked out what I thought were the most interesting pieces for the molds. I left the table out and a few other pieces. We should still have lots of accessories for the wizard's lab.

So how would you recommend to sculpt small bits like I had? Should they be sculpted directly into the frame of a sprue? Should they be glued to a sprue for casting?

I noticed that you're building the molds directly on the sculpts, how do you pour the pewter into them? Do you build pouring canals after the mold dries or do you put a placeholder for the pouring canal that gets removed?

This is really fascinating stuff.

pogre

Legend
frankthedm said:
The project is moving smoothly, I can't wait to see the results.
Thanks Frank!

D'karr said:
These are looking fantastic. Mold casting looks like a hard task. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.

It's not that hard, but my ineptness is catching up to me a bit.

D'karr said:
So how would you recommend to sculpt small bits like I had? Should they be sculpted directly into the frame of a sprue? Should they be glued to a sprue for casting?

I could have forced a sprue, but I decided against it for two main reasons:

1. If one mold does not cast well I still have the other four;

2. I'm not sure I could make a mold that would fill all the way without the pewter cooling before it got to the end of a long sprue. Not a concern with a spincaster obviously, but I'm working with good old gravity here.

As to how to sculpt them - I think you did a tremendous job - I cannot recommend any improvements at all. I may have a better idea after I cast these pieces.

D'karr said:
I noticed that you're building the molds directly on the sculpts, how do you pour the pewter into them? Do you build pouring canals after the mold dries or do you put a placeholder for the pouring canal that gets removed?

Every method of mold building does so directly onto the sculpts. Vulcanizing methods usually destroy the originals for spincasting methods. You can build the pouring canals either way to a point. You have to cut at least some of the breathing channels to make sure the cavity is filled completely.

Well, I'm trying to get some youngsters to bed and then maybe I can finish up the second half of the molds ;)

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Second halves of molds poured tonight. I had just enough RTV to make it. The molds took just over a quart of RTV to make. When I was pouring one of the molds for the tiny wizard tools I think the skull might have floated a little out of place. I've never had that happen before, but I've never tried to mold something this small before either. We'll see how the molds come out tomorrow.

In any case its time to crank up the hotpot, throw in some pewter, and start casting tomorrow night! I'm sorry the project has not gone as smoothly or quickly as I would have liked. I do think everyone will get some decent pieces by the time I'm done though.

pogre

Legend
Just got home from church and opened up the second batch of molds. They look excellent!

I have a football banquet this afternoon and a dinner at the VFW tonight. I may get a chance to pour some pewter late tonight. I will keep you updated.

Remove ads