pogre's model and figure thread

pogre

Legend
Here's the speed-painted lizardmen. 8 figures in about two hours, including basing. I enjoy cranking out some minis like this from time-to-time. The picture was taken with a friend's camera in the game room with flash, but I think you can still tell pretty much tell what's going on.

The picture is a thumbnail link:

pogre

Legend
Have not been around much - RL and all that. Just wanted to share a cool little webcast many of you probably already know about. Over on youtube there's a fellow who does a review of minis in the form of a top ten. Well done even though he's a Brit ;)

Colonel Marble's Miniature Review

EDIT: Many folks have written me to let me know this weekly series died last year. It's too bad as it was well done. Still, there are 19 episodes well sorth a look.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Greetings,

I have not a done of miniature painting this summer, but I did finish a pretty fun project. I painted a dragon mural on my son's bedroom wall. Originally, he wanted a red dragon, but changed his mind to blue. I suggested that a D&D blue dragon would breath lightning, but Steve said, “Not my blue dragon – he breathes fire!”

The dragon has been named ferocious by my son:

dragon_mural_01_small.jpg

dragon_mural_02_small.jpg

dragon_mural_03_small.jpg

pogre

Legend
Greetings!

It’s football season, which means I don’t have a lot of painting time, but I did manage to work on some cavern tiles. I was enchanted by Dwarven Forge’s Cavern River and Lake sets, and with the release of Hirst Arts’ new cavern molds figured I could make my own.

A lot of these pictures were taken on the fly, but I think you can tell what I was doing.

I started with some black-marbled self-adhesive floor tile I picked up from Lowe’s for 88 cents each. I cut the 12 inch square tile into 4 inch square tiles.

ctiles01.jpg

I unpacked my recently purchased Hirst Arts molds. These run $65 or so for the pair.

ctiles02.jpg

I also picked up some acrylic paint from Michael’s. I got it on one of their many 40% off sales, otherwise I might have gone with cheaper craft paint.

ctiles03_paint.jpg

I painted the tiles with the dark green-blue paint. Notice how the marbling gives some natural highlights in the water.

ctiles04_tiles_painted.jpg

Naturally, I had a lot of casting to do. I use a super-hard dental plaster for my molds. It’s every bit as tough as resins and not as hard on molds.

ctiles05_molds_filled.jpg

Following a lot of casting and gluing I had my tiles built. I used Dwarven Forge’s sets as my model.

ctiles06_building tiles.jpg

The river pieces needed some rocks and gravel along the edge. I put down a line of glue next to each “shoreline.”

ctiles07_glue_on_tiles.jpg

I used sand and covered the glue and allowed these to dry completely before shaking of the excess.

ctiles08_sand_on_tiles.jpg

I finished up making a few walls.

ctiles09_walls.jpg

I painted all of the stone a dark gray.

ctiles10_painted.jpg

I dry brushed the stones with successively lighter shades of paint. If I were to make more I would not go quite as light on the floor tiles. Following painting I sprayed it all with gloss and brushed even more gloss on the water.

I removed the adhesive backing from the tiles and placed felt on each tile.

Here is a set-up using some of the tiles. I built the equivalent of two sets of master maze cavern river sets and two sets of cavern lake sets.

ctiles11_finished.jpg

Here’s a closer shot of some of the river tiles.

ctiles12_closeup.jpg

Coincidentally, ;) I needed an underground lake in one of my adventures. Here is a shot of that encounter.

ctiles13_gamingaction.jpg

Thanks for looking and let me know if you have any questions.

- pogre

Kris

Adventurer
In all honesty I was really looking forward to the new set of cavern moulds from H.A. - but I have to admit that I'm not too keen of the look of wall pieces (just a personal preference I guess).

Anyway, back on topic... I really like the simple way you have achieved the water effect on the cavern river :) ...that's now got me thinking that I might actually have a go at a simple sewer system using a similar effect (so I guess I have you to thank/blame for that ;) ).

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, have you been following the posts by Bruce on the H.A. boards regarding a dungeon accessories mould or two? Those definitely look like something I'll be picking up :)

pogre

Legend
Kris said:
In all honesty I was really looking forward to the new set of cavern moulds from H.A. - but I have to admit that I'm not too keen of the look of wall pieces (just a personal preference I guess).

I agree, the walls are just OK IMO too.

Kris said:
Also, on a slightly unrelated note, have you been following the posts by Bruce on the H.A. boards regarding a dungeon accessories mould or two? Those definitely look like something I'll be picking up :)

No, I have not - thanks for the heads up. [sound of pogre scampering over to the hirst arts site]

The_Universe

First Post
These are great...I picked up the cave molds at Gen Con this year, and I've now been inspired to try to do something like this with them.

Awesome!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases