pogre

Legend
Reaper Townsfolk Bar Maid
Step-by-step
PART TWO
==========================
A couple of quick reflections:
1. Taking pictures really slows me down; and
2. Creating close-ups of every step is very humbling in revealing every error. I probably should do it more often.

HAIR
I painted the hair a base of RMS Mahogany Brown with a touch of VGC Charred Brown.

townsfolk_maid_step_09.jpg

Next, I created a wash using RMS Russet Brown with about one-third VGC Charred Brown.

townsfolk_maid_step_10.jpg

I highlighted the hair with RMS Oiled Leather + RMS Palomino Gold + VGC Cobra Leather + VGC Off White.

townsfolk_maid_step_11.jpg

A wash of Mahogany Brown went over this. I went back and added a touch of VGC Off White to my highlight mix. A wash of Mahogany Brown followed. I continued this process of highlighting followed by a wash until I took the highest highlights almost all the way up to pure VGC Off White.

townsfolk_maid_step_12.jpg

DRESS
The dress received a base of RMS Olive Green.

townsfolk_maid_step_13.jpg

townsfolk_maid_step_14.jpg

The recessed areas of the dress received a wash of RMS Olive Green + a touch of RMS Russet Brown.

townsfolk_maid_step_15.jpg

townsfolk_maid_step_16.jpg

The same shadow mix was used as a straight paint (not a wash) and placed into the deepest recesses.

townsfolk_maid_step_17.jpg

townsfolk_maid_step_18.jpg

RMS Olive Green was reapplied to neaten the figure up.

townsfolk_maid_step_19.jpg

townsfolk_maid_step_20.jpg

VGC Off-White was added to the mix to create a lighter color and applied to highlights.

townsfolk_maid_step_21.jpg

townsfolk_maid_step_22.jpg

More VGC Off-White was added to the mix to go to the lightest highlights.

townsfolk_maid_step_23.jpg

townsfolk_maid_step_24.jpg

This is where I left the dress, but looking at the pictures I will probably add some Olive Green washes to tone down the harshest highlights.

NEXT TIME
Part Three will finish with the clothes and start getting into details.

If you have any questions or suggestions as I go along please fire away!

beill

First Post
Some questions for you from those that are interested in doing something similar.

How long did it take to assemble and paint?

Overall, how hard was it to build?

How many molds did it require? Which ones?

pogre

Legend
Some questions for you from those that are interested in doing something similar.

How long did it take to assemble and paint?

Overall, how hard was it to build?

How many molds did it require? Which ones?
[MENTION=6704473]beill[/MENTION] - O.K. - I think you are talking about one of my Hirst Arts projects, not the step-by-step miniatures painting I have put up in the last couple of posts. Let me know which Hirst Arts project you are interested in (post # would be fine) and I can give you more info.

pogre

Legend
Step-by-step
PART THREE
A quick reflection: I'm sorry about not giving exact portions on my mixes. I just don't paint that way. I grab some color with my brush and mix as I go. I just mix paint until I like the color.
Let's dive back in on this figure.

UNDER CORSET
I painted this piece a little differently. I started with the darkest color and worked my way up to highlights.
I started with RMS Ruddy Leather.
townsfolk_maid_step_23.jpg

townsfolk_maid_step_24.jpg

This was highlighted with RMS Oiled Leather.
townsfolk_maid_step_25.jpg

townsfolk_maid_step_26.jpg

I added some off-white to the mix and continued to highlight the leather.
townsfolk_maid_step_27.jpg

townsfolk_maid_step_28.jpg

A couple of notes on leather - although I did this leather piece with traditional layers there are a couple of speed painting methods that give wonderful results:
1. Paint a base of orange and cover this with a brown + orange + mixed ink with a touch of white glue.
2. Paint a base of fairly dark leather, like RMS Russet Brown + VGC Charred Brown. Create a thin wash of light brown + orange ink. This is a reverse wash where you actually push the ink up to the highlights. It creates a really interesting effect.
I'll try to include some pictures with one or both of these techniques in the future.

APRON
Similar to the leather under corset, I started with the darkest color and layered up to highlights.
The base color for the apron was mostly VGC Khaki + some VGC Off White.
townsfolk_maid_step_29.jpg

Highlight layers were built up by adding VGC Off White to the mix.
townsfolk_maid_step_30.jpg

NEXT TIME
You may have noticed somewhere along the process I painted the interior of the dark eye sockets white. Not sure when I did that - probably just grabbed some off-white from the palette when I was working on the apron.
Next time we'll do the beer mugs and the tavern floor.

If you have any questions or suggestions as I go along please fire away!

pogre

Legend
Step-by-step
PART FOUR

MUGS
The mugs were painted with a base of VGC Gunmetal Metal highlighted with VGC chainmail. The suds were painted with VGC off-white with a touch VGC khaki and highlighted with RMS pure white.
townsfolk_maid_step_30.jpg

townsfolk_maid_step_31.jpg

THE FLOOR
I based the floor in RMS leather
townsfolk_maid_step_32.jpg

I then washed it with Games Workshop Devlan Mud.
townsfolk_maid_step_33.jpg

I created grain in the wood first with highlight lines painted with the base mixed with white and then created grooves painting the same color darkened with VGC Charred Brown
townsfolk_maid_step_35.jpg

SKIN TOUCH-UP
I went back to the face and smoothed the skin highlights a bit and dotted the eyes. The eyes are a little crooked, but oh well, it adds to our maids charm!
townsfolk_maid_step_34.jpg

You will notice I did a couple of washes with the original green on the dress to tone down the highlights.

CONCLUSION
The miniature is pretty much done. I'm pleased withy the effort and it only took a couple of hours of effort. I hope you found something helpful. I'll be doing more step-by-steps in the future with some of the Reaper Bones. Stay tuned!

I'll post complete pictures of the maid with some other completed miniatures in the near future.

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
Thanks for the step-by-step Pogre, it's always interesting to see the different paint steps.

Also, congrats on your 100 mini year! Work has been a bear this past year, but I've got my Bones coming in March, so I hope to get back to it!

(Must spread XP around...)

pogre

Legend
Thanks Dog!

I think part of what helped me was forcing myself to paint at least 20 minutes a day, even in my busiest, toughest time of the year. If I managed to get one figure done every other week or so I was pleased. Since I was painting every day it made it less difficult to jump in with a deeper time commitment to painting when work eased up.

I am cranking on some speed painting right now to get ready for a con next weekend. They won't be pretty, but I'll get 'em done! I'll post pictures of their glorious sloppiness when they're done.

I stopped taking my really decent paint jobs to cons for the most part a few years ago. I love having lots of new people play in my games, but they just are not aware of the effort that goes into painting some figures. I don't think they are being purposefully disrespectful at all, but they just are not careful with models.

That's a long way of saying if you play in one of my con games - I don't apologize for the terrain, but the figs will probably be plastic and the paint jobs will not inspire you. ;)

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
I am way behind on posting some painted minis. I also have some pictures from our local gaming convention: Winter War. Here is a local news story about Winter War:

http://www.wicd15.com/news/top-stories/stories/wicd_vid_6439.shtml

You can see my Dungeon Lord game in the lead off picture and also at :13 - :21 of the video. I'm the guy standing and leaning over the table.

I'll try to get some more pics up here this weekend, including a shot or two of Frank Chadwick's massive Mars Needs Steam game.

apprentice

First Post
pogre,
i found this thread after googling for "Hirstarts sewer". glad i found it and i really appreciate your work.
are you planning on doing any more sewer tiles?
i'm facinated by the Ptolus campaign setting and am currently getting setup as a DM for a new game.
i believe i'll be starting it in the sewers.
i currently own most of the Hirstarts Fieldstone molds, and would appreciate any help you could offer on painting and water effects, etc.
thanks
apprentice.

pogre

Legend
pogre,
i found this thread after googling for "Hirstarts sewer". glad i found it and i really appreciate your work.
are you planning on doing any more sewer tiles?
i'm facinated by the Ptolus campaign setting and am currently getting setup as a DM for a new game.
i believe i'll be starting it in the sewers.
i currently own most of the Hirstarts Fieldstone molds, and would appreciate any help you could offer on painting and water effects, etc.
thanks
apprentice.
The water in my sewer tiles were undercoated with paint the color I wanted the water to be and then I "painted" over it with two-part clear epoxy.

Painting the stone work:
Undercoat black
Paint dark gray
Dry brush over gray with light yellow-ochre
Create a dark greay wash and paint the lines between the stones
Mix gray, light yellow ochre, and a touch of white. Very lightly dry brush this over the edges.
Where water comes close to the stones work paint over is with a coat of gloss after you matte spray the piece.

If you have other questions let me know.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases