5E Players Self-Assigning Rolls
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 56 123456789101151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 556
  1. #1

    Players Self-Assigning Rolls

    DM describes a scene, players say what they want to do and how they want to do it, and DM determines success or failure or if a roll is needed because something interesting can happen because of the roll. As much as I reiterate this flow, I still get experienced players who throw down some dice without being asked and announce "Survival 24 for doing blah blah" or whatever. Did I miss something between AD&D (which I played as a kid) and 5E (my return to D&D two years ago) that made this alright?

    The Run a Game Blog has a nice piece on this:
    www.runagame.net/2017/10/players-self-assigning-rolls.html


    I guess I'm looking for ways that other DMs deal with situations where players roll the dice for skills without being asked to do so. What say you?
    XP pukunui, 77IM gave XP for this post

  2. #2
    Member
    Time Agent (Lvl 24)



    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Medellin, Colombia
    Posts
    3,785
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    D&DD&D

    Block iserith


    Friend+
    I explain to the players that I only need them to state their goal and approach and to hold off on rolling because it is in their best interests.

    See, I have to judge whether or not the approach is sufficient to achieve the goal. You might get an auto-success. So, the smart play in this situation in my view is to come up with a fun and reasonable approach to a goal for which you have a related proficiency (just in case you have to roll), then wait for the DM to make a ruling. Asking to roll or forcing a roll is asking for a chance for that d20 to screw you over and/or make you look stupid. It's sometimes funny, but it's not a great survival strategy. (And you don't need extra bad rolls to make the game funny.)

    Always aim for auto-success, I say, and treat your skills as insurance against failure on the occasions when the DM calls for a check. In my experience, you will almost always be more successful than players who ask to make or force rolls.

    Then I just ignore any rolls they make that I don't ask for. They catch on quick in my experience.

  3. #3
    I tell them to please wait till I ask for a check.

    But I also realized they're rolling automatically as a way to tell me what sort of check they're aiming for their action to use. They're getting ahead of me so that I don't have a chance to call for an Insight check when they were fishing for an Arcana check.

    So I tell them to wait tilI I ask for a check, and I make sure I know what sort of check they expect before I ask for one.

    Essentially, I let the players apply their proficiency if they think they ought to.

  4. #4
    Member
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)



    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,728
    Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews

    Block Saelorn


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by DM Dave1 View Post
    Did I miss something between AD&D (which I played as a kid) and 5E (my return to D&D two years ago) that made this alright?
    You missed both 3E and 4E, apparently:

    Third edition brought the great standardization of mechanics, so all ability scores gave a consistent modifier and all uncertainty was resolved with a d20 check. This is in direct contrast to earlier editions, which were an assortment of ad hoc systems that often used different dice (although many of the core systems still came down to the d20 roll, even then). The major upshot was that the players could usually discern what sort of check would be necessary, even before the DM asked it. The biggest job for the DM, in determining how to resolve any action, was just in setting the DC for the check. And since there were a lot of examples in the book about what sorts of DCs corresponded to which sorts of tasks, it wasn't hard for players to guess both which skill applied and that the DC was within the d20 range of uncertainty such that the roll would be necessary.

    Fourth edition attempted to standardize the play experience, by getting rid of things like house rules and making the math even more transparent. It might sound terrible, but their goal was to make it easier for players to find games without requiring a huge adjustment period, so I can respect it from that angle.
    Quote Originally Posted by DM Dave1 View Post
    I guess I'm looking for ways that other DMs deal with situations where players roll the dice for skills without being asked to do so. What say you?
    I don't usually mind if they roll immediately, but sometimes I have to ignore the result when it wouldn't matter (because either success or failure is guaranteed). If you ignore enough of their check results, eventually they might get the hint and stop being so quick to roll.

    The bigger problem is when they roll before they describe how they're approaching a problem. "Survival 24" is meaningless, if "survival 24, I'm trying to find some edible roots or berries," would be a failure and "survival 24, I'm trying to catch one of those weird rat things we saw before," would be a success.
    XP Ed Laprade, DM Dave1, steenan gave XP for this post
    Laugh Joseph_C laughed with this post

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DM Dave1 View Post
    Did I miss something between AD&D (which I played as a kid) and 5E (my return to D&D two years ago) that made this alright?
    No, it started in 3e when the number of dice rolls for out-of-combat mechanics drastically increased, particularly skills with fixed DCs for certain outcomes. That said, I do remember Thieves rolling percentiles for stealth, lock picking, pick pocket, etc. without waiting for the DM to call for them in 1e/2e, too.


    The solution is that whomever is DMing stops the player and says, "Wait. Just tell me what are you attempting to do." If they say, "I'm rolling a <whatever> check and I got a <result>," you say, "No, describe what you are doing and what you're expecting to accomplish."

    In other words, you force the player to give you what you need, and ignore the roll until you're ready to tell the player the outcomes of their actions.
    XP DM Dave1, Neurotic, Wednesday Boy gave XP for this post

  6. #6
    Member
    Gallant (Lvl 3)



    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Widnes
    Posts
    70
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Phion


    Friend+
    I might be guilty of this as a player actually, there has never been an issue with my DM's presumably because they were going to ask me to do it; its not a conscious thing that I do.

    As DM I have had players who just roll for what they are trying to do, I take no offense and I just inform them if there roll was pointless because of auto success or they made wrong check.
    XP doctorbadwolf gave XP for this post

  7. #7
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NE Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,845
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    WotC Evacuee

    Block ccs


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by DM Dave1 View Post
    I guess I'm looking for ways that other DMs deal with situations where players roll the dice for skills without being asked to do so. What say you?
    This'll sound harsh, but if I'm the DM doing this will very often result in failure - no matter what # you call out. Even if it was going to be a situation that didn't require dice rolls.
    XP 24Fanatic365 gave XP for this post

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DM Dave1 View Post
    DM describes a scene, players say what they want to do and how they want to do it, and DM determines success or failure or if a roll is needed because something interesting can happen because of the roll. As much as I reiterate this flow, I still get experienced players who throw down some dice without being asked and announce "Survival 24 for doing blah blah" or whatever. Did I miss something between AD&D (which I played as a kid) and 5E (my return to D&D two years ago) that made this alright?

    The Run a Game Blog has a nice piece on this:
    www.runagame.net/2017/10/players-self-assigning-rolls.html


    I guess I'm looking for ways that other DMs deal with situations where players roll the dice for skills without being asked to do so. What say you?
    Do you find this makes combat go better?

    third round player standing next to boss and says " i want to hit him with my battle axe"
    you say OK, that will be a take attack action so you will need to roll d20 and add your attack bonus"
    player rolls then gives you the result.
    you do some pausing then say "ok you hit just like last time, so now you need to roll your damage and add your strength modifiers

    every time
    every turn
    every character
    no exceptions
    even if it has been done before and before and before

    that goes well huh?

    keeps things fresh and exciting and the GM firmly with his pair of dice hanging big enough?

    ----

    See, i get that on some cases there is a reason to smack a player around if they dare to not give the gm first and last senstence yes sir no sir three bags full sir.

    But, if a character has done the "search action 100000 times in many different settings and had his Gm say "roll it this way" then i do not see the harm in a player saying "i search over there and my roll is..." and then *if* the Gm decides this is an exception to the rule saying what happens even if that is an interruption to the search or a search that failed to produce results for unspecified reasons.

    Of course the Gm can decide "no roll needed" but then all he has to do is tell them the same thing as he does when they provide a roll, right? But if there was going to be a roll, its already done, time saved.

    I can see this if there are so very many exceptions that the basic "here is what this skill allows" and "here is what this spell does" in the PHb are basically meaningless - in which case the player already knows he has no basis to go on.
    XP ehren37, Arial Black, 77IM gave XP for this post

  9. #9
    I normally ignore the result, ask what they are trying to accomplish and how, and then call for a die roll, ignoring what they rolled the first time. Usually it only takes one or two times to get the message across, the most stubborn was my children, actually, and usually that is just because they are excited to be able to play.

  10. #10
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)



    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,442
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Shiroiken


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by DM Dave1 View Post
    Did I miss something between AD&D (which I played as a kid) and 5E (my return to D&D two years ago) that made this alright?

    I guess I'm looking for ways that other DMs deal with situations where players roll the dice for skills without being asked to do so. What say you?
    First of all, welcome back! As an AD&D player myself, I understand the jarring nature between then and now. Playstyles have changed since back in the day, but fortunatly for you, they're starting to move back to the style of AD&D (minus the lethality and DM vs. Player mentality)

    5E explicitly states that order of operations for any action are:

    1) Player declares intent
    2) DM considers probability of success/failure (calling for a check if outcome is uncertain)
    3) DM narrates outcome

    Any roll made without DM promoting is technically meaningless. I say technically only because in combat players automatically roll attack rolls without being prompted, because there is always uncertainty in combat (and why a 1 is always a miss). You are well within your right to ignore all results of rolls that are not prompted, and should probably do so. Not everything needs a check, as some things should be either automatic or impossible. Unlike in the last 2 editions, you can just quickly narrate the result of the action without needing dice.
    XP DM Dave1 gave XP for this post

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 56 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Are players always entitled to see their own rolls?
    By Sezarious in forum D&D 5th Edition News, Rules, Homebrews, and House Rules
    Replies: 181
    Last Post: Saturday, 21st November, 2015, 06:02 AM
  2. DMs - What rolls do you make for your players?
    By donremus in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: Thursday, 22nd March, 2007, 07:48 PM
  3. Assigning Gear to a leveled monster ** Al's players STAY OUT :) **
    By just__al in forum Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Monday, 1st November, 2004, 11:32 PM
  4. DM's - What rolls do you make for your players?
    By Sam in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Tuesday, 22nd July, 2003, 01:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •