What are you reading? All New / All Improved Dec 2017 Edition.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I want to pick up a Forgotten Realms novel next, and am uncertain where to start. Maybe with the first one? I'll decide by the time I'm done with my current book.
It might be hard to find the very first novel published using the FR setting. I think that was the Moonshae trilogy back in 1987.

There are many FR novels and not all of them are very good or just good. There are some classics like the Dark Elf trilogy and the Avatar trilogy (to know the history of the Realms). Here is a wiki list of them all or close to it. https://www.google.ca/search?q=forg.....69i57j0l5.5540j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
It might be hard to find the very first novel published using the FR setting. I think that was the Moonshae trilogy back in 1987.

There are many FR novels and not all of them are very good or just good. There are some classics like the Dark Elf trilogy and the Avatar trilogy (to know the history of the Realms). Here is a wiki list of them all or close to it. https://www.google.ca/search?q=forg.....69i57j0l5.5540j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I found it on Kindle. It looks like I can pick up the novels of the entire setting there.

Ah, I never read the novel with the death. Didn't know it got reversed, either. I haven't kept up. But cool. The books are easy to find on Kindle, and cheap. Just a lot of catching up to do.

I've mainly kept up via the two wikis lol but I do own the Destiny trio, along with a few other ST books.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
So I'm getting annoyed at a long series of books but don't know if it's justified. I'm on book 13 or 14 of a series. Started off tightly focused on one character, and had some good setting building. Ended up with the author and others writing canon short stories elsewhere in the universe. Then the books mainly followed that main character, but has steadily introduced additional characters up to the later books maybe 1/3 to 1/2 from the main PoV character and the rest from others PoVs. Okay, no big deal.

However, the author is (co-)writing two other series in the same world,a dn is having it impact the main storyline. We suddenly have a bunch more PoV characters we're supposed to care about that didn't develop organically with the main character, just sprung full-grown in this series because they were developed int he other books. Many scenes seem shout-outs to happenings in the other series, and there has been major changes in plot direction (new big bad, new "oh everybody hates this though we never talked about it for the first ten or so books", etc.) that are bolted on from other books.

The book I'm reading now I was 124 pages in, and there was one 6-8 page scene with the main character talking to one other person while sitting at her desk, and all the rest has been exposition, mostly from characters introduced in other books, about how the state of the universe has changed due to major actions in the other books.

Is this really a problem? Should I just consider it one rambling series of books instead of three plus several short story collections? The problem is that the protagonists from the other books don't interest me nearly as much, nor the shifted sub-genre of some of them. I've read a bunch of them years ago, not just one or two, and don't really have interest in revisiting them.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
So I'm getting annoyed at a long series of books but don't know if it's justified. I'm on book 13 or 14 of a series. Started off tightly focused on one character, and had some good setting building. Ended up with the author and others writing canon short stories elsewhere in the universe. Then the books mainly followed that main character, but has steadily introduced additional characters up to the later books maybe 1/3 to 1/2 from the main PoV character and the rest from others PoVs. Okay, no big deal.

However, the author is (co-)writing two other series in the same world,a dn is having it impact the main storyline. We suddenly have a bunch more PoV characters we're supposed to care about that didn't develop organically with the main character, just sprung full-grown in this series because they were developed int he other books. Many scenes seem shout-outs to happenings in the other series, and there has been major changes in plot direction (new big bad, new "oh everybody hates this though we never talked about it for the first ten or so books", etc.) that are bolted on from other books.

The book I'm reading now I was 124 pages in, and there was one 6-8 page scene with the main character talking to one other person while sitting at her desk, and all the rest has been exposition, mostly from characters introduced in other books, about how the state of the universe has changed due to major actions in the other books.

Is this really a problem? Should I just consider it one rambling series of books instead of three plus several short story collections? The problem is that the protagonists from the other books don't interest me nearly as much, nor the shifted sub-genre of some of them. I've read a bunch of them years ago, not just one or two, and don't really have interest in revisiting them.

I'd quit, but I'm curious to know what the series is.

DRo_Krytos

First Post
I am about to finish The Devil You Know. I held off getting it in hopes that there would be other FR books released, but it looks like that is it. I used to read thread on here that discussed it and decided to just make a profile finally and look for it again.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases