D&D 5E Drop bow and unsheathe sword: still get to attack?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I find that at high levels especially Weapon Users are are less versatile than Spellcasters. For this reason I'm pretty lax on juggling weapons and shields.

YMMV

nswanson27

First Post
Can anyone make a good argument that the rules *do* treat dropping something as an object interaction?

*None* of the many given examples of object interactions involve dropping something. They all involve more care and attention than release your grip and letting something clatter to the ground.

The rules don’t mention dropping particularly, and it is both unlike and simpler than the things they do mention as examples of actions and object interactions.

Kinda like -
Player: Time to run! I sheathe my weapon (free action), dash to the cliff and dive into the water below (action) and swim away from the fire elementals.
DM: Hmmm, bummer - too bad you didn't save your free action to take a big breath and hold it before you hit the water. Roll a CON save for drowning.
Player: ....

Satyrn

First Post
I think part of the problem with some of this stuff is "previous edition memory". It seems the older the edition of D&D, the longer a combat round was. In 5E it is down to 6 seconds long, so there is not as much you can do as in past editions.
Personally, I've stopped considering a round to be any specific length of time. So some rounds might be 6 seconds and others 10 or whatever. I just don't care anymore.

Ganymede81

First Post
I let my players use their object interaction to rearm themselves. For instance, I'll let them stow a bow and draw a pair of short swords all at once. I also roll shields into this as well, effectively ignoring the requirement of an action to don or doff a shield.

I do this for two reasons. For one, I like how it removes the incentive to get a bit gamey with object interactions (dropping an object, casting a spell, then picking up the same object, for instance). Secondly, I like how it helps even out the more fiddly nature of handing a sword and shield as compared to other equipment options that also require both hands.

Am I reading page 190 right? Strictly by RAW, there is no "object interaction" action. There's just "stuff you can combine with a move or attack action". The ability to draw a weapon can be combined with the attack action. That drawing of a weapon is your free object interaction.

What I find odd though is that dropping a held item is not listed in the little blue box that lists "interacting with objects around you" (but picking up a dropped axe is in the list). Heck, by RAW you can put food in your mouth while taking a swing with a sword (put not drink a potion).

So RAW could mean dropping an item must use your action (which is silly since "hand an object to another character" can be combined with a move). Or they should just restore the free action to the game. Ending a grapple is no action. So dropping a held item should also not be an action.

John Brebeuf

First Post
Am I reading page 190 right? Strictly by RAW, there is no "object interaction" action. There's just "stuff you can combine with a move or attack action". The ability to draw a weapon can be combined with the attack action. That drawing of a weapon is your free object interaction.

What I find odd though is that dropping a held item is not listed in the little blue box that lists "interacting with objects around you" (but picking up a dropped axe is in the list). Heck, by RAW you can put food in your mouth while taking a swing with a sword (put not drink a potion).

So RAW could mean dropping an item must use your action (which is silly since "hand an object to another character" can be combined with a move). Or they should just restore the free action to the game. Ending a grapple is no action. So dropping a held item should also not be an action.

I don't have my PHB in front of me, but iirc the boxed examples are not meant to be an exhaustive list of allowable object interactions, but are said to be just a sample of the kinds of things a PC can do during his turn and also maintain his full movement and action. Since they're all MORE involved than just dropping an item, one would have to assume that dropping an item wouldn't constitute an action either.

I don't have my PHB in front of me, but iirc the boxed examples are not meant to be an exhaustive list of allowable object interactions, but are said to be just a sample of the kinds of things a PC can do during his turn and also maintain his full movement and action. Since they're all MORE involved than just dropping an item, one would have to assume that dropping an item wouldn't constitute an action either.

I know the list is not exhaustive. But the question here is if you must combine the dropping of something with a move or attack or if you can call it not an action. By RAW it requires the "item manipulation" loophole and cannot be combined with another item manipulation without using your action.

Someone on a prior page said something about sage advice but I could not find anything about this in the sage advice companion pdf.

I know the list is not exhaustive. But the question here is if you must combine the dropping of something with a move or attack or if you can call it not an action. By RAW it requires the "item manipulation" loophole and cannot be combined with another item manipulation without using your action.

I disagree with that interpretation. Why should it have anything to do with those rules? Because it is an object and you are physically in contact with it at the start of the round?

I disagree with that interpretation. Why should it have anything to do with those rules? Because it is an object and you are physically in contact with it at the start of the round?

The rules say "talking" can be done with no action. The rules say "ending a grapple" can be done with no action. The rules do NOT say "dropping a held item" can be done with no action. OTOH, they do say you can combine a lot object manipulation actions with your move or with an attack ONCE per turn without using the "Use an Object" action. Historically, in 3e and 4e, dropping something is not an action. But 5e doesn't make that clear. You can argue RAI but RAW state dropping an item uses up the one free object manipulation for the round.

I'm not telling you how to play your game. I allow the drop for free in my own games. But when discussing RAW, you have to discuss what is written.

Remove ads