What happens when a spellcaster dies?

I think this is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyhow. Maybe I'm missing something.

SITUATION

I have a Witch (custom Sorcerer variant from the DMG) who successfully used Suggestion on one PC ("go home") and Scare on another (causing them to be "Frightened", which means run away).

Normally, the duration of the Suggestion would be 7 hours. (The PC's home is more than 7 hours away, so it won't be completed in that time.) Suggestion is a mind-affecting Enchantment of the Compulsion type.

The duration on the Scare is 7 rounds, so less of a big deal. Scare is mind-affecting Necromancy of the Fear type.

Anyhow, someone just knocked out the Witch, and she's likely to be dead in a few rounds.

QUESTION

Does the Witch being knocked unconscious, or subsequently killed, end the Suggestion and/or Scare spells?

What makes me think "Maybe Yes":
Many times in fiction (The Simpson's vampire episode and Stranger Things come to mind) killed or disabling the source of control ends it.

What makes me think "Maybe No":
1) Unconsciousness breaks Concentration, but these aren't spells that require Concentration to keep working.

2) "Office Space" comes to mind. When the hynpotist dies mid trance, the protagonist is stuck under its influence apparently for the rest of the movie.

3) No rule I can find mentions "Killing to Break Enchantment", so I'm guess it's not a thing.

It's a "NO" and a dumb question, isn't it? B-)

EvanNave55

Explorer
I think this is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyhow. Maybe I'm missing something.

SITUATION

I have a Witch (custom Sorcerer variant from the DMG) who successfully used Suggestion on one PC ("go home") and Scare on another (causing them to be "Frightened", which means run away).

Normally, the duration of the Suggestion would be 7 hours. (The PC's home is more than 7 hours away, so it won't be completed in that time.) Suggestion is a mind-affecting Enchantment of the Compulsion type.

The duration on the Scare is 7 rounds, so less of a big deal. Scare is mind-affecting Necromancy of the Fear type.

Anyhow, someone just knocked out the Witch, and she's likely to be dead in a few rounds.

QUESTION

Does the Witch being knocked unconscious, or subsequently killed, end the Suggestion and/or Scare spells?

What makes me think "Maybe Yes":
Many times in fiction (The Simpson's vampire episode and Stranger Things come to mind) killed or disabling the source of control ends it.

What makes me think "Maybe No":
1) Unconsciousness breaks Concentration, but these aren't spells that require Concentration to keep working.

2) "Office Space" comes to mind. When the hynpotist dies mid trance, the protagonist is stuck under its influence apparently for the rest of the movie.

3) No rule I can find mentions "Killing to Break Enchantment", so I'm guess it's not a thing.

It's a "NO" and a dumb question, isn't it? B-)
If neither of the spells require concentration, then I would say no. If a spell requires concentration then it needs constant power from the caster and would fulfill the"yes" section of your post where spells end on death/unconscious. Spells that don't require concentration such as these apparently are the type where (depending on the duration of the spell) once cast on a victim they may be cursed for eternity or they figure out how to remove the curse/spell.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EN World mobile app

Tinker

First Post
You answered the question yourself so not dumb. I agree with your whole thought process, including the conclusion that the suggestion spell continues to the end of its duration.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using EN World mobile app

Remove ads