D&D 5E Clarification on Spell Slots/ Sorcerer Spells Per Day

I'm looking for a clarification on the number of spells a sorcerer can cast per day.

For example, a 10th level sorcerer knows 11 spells, and has spells slots noted below. Does this mean the sorcerer can cast a total of 15 spells (not including cantrips) a day, of any level, from the 11 spells known.

(1st) 4 spell slots (2nd) 3 spell slots (3rd) 3 spell slots (4th) 3 spell slots (5th) 2 spell slots

Thanks in advance for your help.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
A 10th level sorcerer knows 11 spells, which must be of a level she can cast. Each day, she can cast 4 1st level spells using 1st level spell slots, 3 spells of 2nd level or lower using 2nd level spell slots, 3 spells of 3rd level or lower using 3rd level spell slots, 3 spells of 4th level or lower using 4th level spell slots, and 2 spells of 5th level or lower using 5th level spell slots. All of these spells must be on the Sorcerer’s list of Known Spells.

The spells must be powered by the sorceror's spell slots, but yes: The spell slots are the spells that you can cast per long rest, and the spells known are the pool from which you pick those spells.

A 10th level sorcerer knows 11 spells, which must be of a level she can cast. Each day, she can cast 4 1st level spells using 1st level spell slots, 3 spells of 2nd level or lower using 2nd level spell slots, 3 spells of 3rd level or lower using 3rd level spell slots, 3 spells of 4th level or lower using 4th level spell slots, and 2 spells of 5th level or lower using 5th level spell slots. All of these spells must be on the Sorcerer’s list of Known Spells.

So the spell slots do reflect the spells cast per level - and not the total slots used for any spell. From what I've read, I've seen the rule interpreted differently. (That is you can cast 15 5th level spells in this example.)

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
So the spell slots do reflect the spells cast per level - and not the total slots used for any spell. From what I've read, I've seen the rule interpreted differently. (That is you can cast 15 5th level spells in this example.)

I would love to see where that would be interpreted that way. :D

As the others mention, the sorcerer chooses which spell to cast from his/her know spells, and a slot is consumed when cast whose level is at minimum the spell's level, or a higher level slot according to the spell description. The slots are not per spell known.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That would not be the correct interpretation. Do keep in mind though, the sorcerer can create spell slots by spending sorcery points, and can expend spell slots to create sorcery points. So, if a 10th level sorcerer did want to cast as many 5th level spells as possible in one day, she could trade in her four first level slots for one sorcery point each, all three of her 2nd level spell slots for 2 sorcery points each, all three of her third level spell slots for 3 sorcery points each, and all three of her fourth level spell slots for 4 sorcery points each, for a total of 31 sorcery points, plus the 10 she naturally gets each day brings the total up to 41. A 5th level spell slot costs 7 sorcery points to create, so 41/7=5, with 6 left over. So, the most 5th level spells she could cast in one day is 6.

Li Shenron

Legend
So the spell slots do reflect the spells cast per level - and not the total slots used for any spell.

This sentence rang a bell... just to make sure, you always use one slot every time you cast a spell. You need to use a slot of the same "level" as the spell, or a slot of higher level (in which case, you can sometimes benefit by some increase in the spells effects, if the spell description has a "At higher levels" section).

Coroc

Hero
All of the above applies but a sorcerer can opt to use his sorcererpoints to create additional spellslots. I do not have the PHB at Hand someone can post the table.

Your Initial post is already correct, he knows 11 spells and can cast them using his 15 Slots of different Level, by using at least a Slot of the spells Level. Cantrips are extra of course.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases