D&D 5E Mental prison; power creep, typo or working as intended

Stalker0

Legend
I did a good reading of the new spells recently, and thinking about it more I think this spell is fine. Its a little bit better than disintegrate, but as a 6th level spell the damage is not ridiculous.

Infuhmus

First Post
Mental Prison seems over the top

This spell is in xanathars guide. It restrains, blinds, and deafens on a failed save. You also take 5d10 on cast and 10d10 if you are moved outside of the illusion. If you are restrained and blind and deaf I don't see how an enemy could do anything for the 10 turn of the duration. Using this on a bb after taking care of ads would make most enemies trivial. I read on Reddit people mentioned making the enemy just walk through it and moving on however if they are restrained they cannot do this... Was this supposed to be the intention of this spell?

Satyrn

First Post
As I read it now for the first time, it looks to me like it only sort of blinds and deafens the target. It can still see and hear everything immediately around it (though it all looks and sounds like a hellish landscape).

It looks to me like if the players were to attack the affected target, the target would see it coming as though he was being attacked by unseen devils or the like and could be reasonably expected to lash out at these unseen threats. And doing so would end the spell as written.

That is, as a DM, I read the spell as a way to lock a target out of combat for a minute, but attacking the target early will likely lead to it escaping from it's torment.

Oh, and I think the redditors are pointing out that even though the target is restrained, it can still make attacks - and simply doing that ends the restraint and the spell.

mellored

Legend
It's a combination of a level 4 banishment (Save or be out of combat) and a level 3 magic missile (Take some unavoidable damage).
Also, the creature can use their action to break the prison at any time. Taking extra damage. Restrained only prevents movement.

It's good, but not over the top.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases