Altered Carbon

MarkB

Legend
I liked it a lot. Impressive worldbuilding, well-realised cyberpunk setting, great production values and some stunning fight scenes. The story lost some steam towards the end, but it still held my interest, and I hope to see more of the setting.

Ryujin

Legend
Definitely was not disappointed. It exceeded my expectations and was very good, overall. I wanted a good cyberpunk story and got it.

CapnZapp

Legend
Ah! I couldn't understand why such a high-profile series didn't have a thread here.

You're in for a treat! A trashy treat, but a treat nonetheless

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Really liked it, but (maybe I was tired when I watched it) i had some trouble following the finer points of the plot. There are probably some details that I missed, even though I don't think it afftected my enjoyment of the show.

AR

Mallus

Legend
I'm 3.5 episodes in. My binge-watching needs work.

It's good. It captures the spirit of the book, even as it scrambles some of the particulars. The gratuitous, umm, gratuities are all thematically appropriate. I want the world of the books to be equal parts beautiful, lurid, and infuriating. That's how it's supposed to work.

Poe is fantastic, Ortega and her family (especially the dead abuella) are great. Ditto the Bancroft's The lead is... well, I'm not sold on him so far. Right now I wish the actor playing his original sleeve had the main role.

My biggest problem is the way they folded Kovacs's original Envoy trainer Virginia Vidaura into Quellcrist Falconer.

Kovacs was the tool created by the system responsible for their crapsack future. Quellcrist Falconer represented another magisteria entirely: a poet and political activist whose power was separate from the dominant economic & technological regimes. Blurring that works against the show's theme, even though it can be justified from a narrative-streamlining perspective.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases