D&D 5E Dragonborn Breath Weapon vs. Dragonborn Fear

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Hi Folks,
I was wondering what people thought about offering the option for Dragonborn PCs to choose either the breath weapon vs. the Xanathar's Guide dragon fear feat option at creation. Then obviously they could take the breath weapon as the feat later if they so chose. I appreciate any input. Thanks.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Seems pretty reasonable to me. (I assume you wouldn't get the extra stat bonus from the feat if you went with the fear option.)

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The Dragon's Breath is about as good as a 1st level spell and it doesn't scale particularly well.

The Fear is as strong as the Fear spell (spell itself is a bit weaker but no concentration) which is a 3rd level spell. It is also useful in more situations as the Dragonborn will have access to something damaging.

At the very least I think the Dragonborn would need to give up a stat bonus to take it at 1st.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Hi,
Thanks for the replies!
[MENTION=20538]Jal[/MENTION]elis - Correct. No +1 stat that normally would go along with it if taking at first level. If they were to take the dragon breath feat, then the extra +1 comes into play.
[MENTION=6748898]ad_hoc[/MENTION]: I'm not clear by what you mean by 'would need to give up a stat bonus'. Are you indicating the standard Dragonborn bonus of +2 Str or +1 CHA or do you mean the additional stat bonus that would come normally come with the feat? If the latter, I totally agree. If the former, I'm curious as to why you feel this would be necessary. From all accounts as it is, the Dragonborn seems to be a bit underwhelming compared to a good deal of other races.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
The Fear is as strong as the Fear spell (spell itself is a bit weaker but no concentration) which is a 3rd level spell.
Note the feat allows a save every time you take damage, and doesn't force you to run away or drop your weapon. Those are pretty significant.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Also the Fear is Charisma based which isn't the most optimum statistic. I'm not seeing a lot of issues but then again, I'm not always the sharpest tool in the shed...

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Note the feat allows a save every time you take damage, and doesn't force you to run away or drop your weapon. Those are pretty significant.

No concentration is also significant. No save on taking damage yourself and you can have a concentration spell going if that is your thing.

I would say they are close enough to being a wash.

In any case the Fear is much better than the breath.

Yes, instead of +2str +1cha the character would get +1str +1cha. That brings it in line with gaining a half feat.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
[MENTION=6748898]ad_hoc[/MENTION]: Hmmm - wouldn't it being treated as basically a 'half-feat' by itself indicate that as a feat in and of itself would be weaker. In addition to those things mentioned above, if the target can't see or hear the dragon born, they automatically save. Between that, getting saves when taking damage causing another save wouldn't you feel that this is watered down enough especially when taking the dragon born race 'as a whole' which seems to be a bit of an under performer? I'm just curious as to what you think.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases