I'm trying to create a Sorcerer based on cold damage

mgshamster

First Post
I tried the same thing, and found it challenging. Some levels don't even have appropriate spells for a cold based sorc.

You've got a few options:

1) Reflavor. This is done in two ways. The first is to take spells that normally don't have anything to do with elements and give them a cold flavor. For example, the slow spell can be reflavored to be freezing theor muscle tissue. The second way is to work with your DM to change the damage type from one thing (fireball) to another (coldball).

2) Go with a different class or Multiclass to get cold based spells. This is the option I took when I made a cold based caster. I ended up going with Coastal Druid and picked up all the water and coastal themed spells, plus a couple of Themeless spells.

Voort

Explorer
Note: this is not optimized, but I’d consider it a viable Cold Sorc. If this is an AL character, then XGTE is your +1.

Race: Variant Human, Elemental Adept (cold) feat. This will boost cold damage & let you ignore resistance. Put your highest stats in Charisma and Dexterity.

Background: Consider Sailor or Outlander to add to the elemental flavor of the character.

Sorcerer Archetype: Dragon type, Silver or White. This will add your Charisma mod to cold spell damage once you reach level 6.

Spells: Just bring the Cold. Spells marked with * let you pick Cold damage.

Cantrips: Frostbite, Ray of Frost
1: Chromatic Orb*, Ice Knife
2. Dragon’s Breath*, Snilloc’s Snowball Swarm
3. Tidal Wave (thematic, not cold)
4. Ice Storm
5. Cone of Cold
6. Investiture of Ice

The selection of ice-related spells drops off fast, especially at higher levels. You might also consider multiclassing to something like Warlock, or a higher Strength build to be a Paladin of Cold Vengeance.

[edited to add SSS at lvl 2]

Last edited:

ppaladin123

Adventurer
You might also lok at the Triton race in Volo's guide to monsters....stats are decent for a sorcerer, they get cold resistant always on and some water spells (cha-based) that are thematic/help a bit with spell variety.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Some water spells:
Shape Water
Sleet Storm
Wall of Water
Water Breathing
Water Walk
Watery Sphere

Spells that are kinda-sorta water:
Fog Cloud
Misty Step
Blight
Abi-Dalzim’s Horrid Wilting

If you can somehow convince your DM to allow you to access Wizard Spells, that opens up quite a bit more options, like summoning spells and Control Water.

i_dont_meta

Explorer
And not to be overlooked, but if it's Fonzie with your DM maybe you revisit the UA Sea Sorc from this past spring. Biggest gripe with Xanathar's: where's my Sea Sorcerer, you scalliwags?!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

cooperjer

Explorer
In my home game I let my sorc charscter use a fireball equivalent for cold damage. We named it cryoball. I also allowed Immolation to be changed to cold damage. I don't recall the name offhand.

Sent from my VS988 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads