D&D 5E DM Pet Peeve #6295

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
When one of your NPCs is charmed by a PC and then one of the players proceeds to tell you, in great detail, how that NPC should now respond to that effect (and that it is always in the most favorable interests of the players of course...)

I just wanted to say "You don't know his life!...." ;)

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Actually, "There are things about this NPC that you don't know" is a great thing to say in that situation. Then allow a Wisdom (Insight) check to learn some of those things!

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Another trick is to allow a Charisma (Persuasion) check to make it happen. DC 10 if you kind of want it to happen, DC 15 if it doesn't matter to you, DC 20 if you don't want it to happen, and DC 25 if you really don't want it to happen BUT you'd still be ok if it did.

Note: The DCs are based on what you want. The fact that the player even gets to make the roll is based on what they want. Plus their Charisma helps them out, and they can seek bonuses/advantage if it's really important. The arbitrariness of "want" is impossible to argue about, but since you are both getting a shot at what you want, it's at least fair.

Note: The DCs are not based at all on what's "realistic" or "difficult" or "expected." Those things are very, very complicated and kind of a drag to figure out and argue over. Just go with what you want to happen, or what you think would be coolest to happen, and the results will probably be "realistic enough." It works because because subconsciously realism is a factor in how you decide what you want to happen.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
(PS. Forget charm; I have players who do this to me as the result of mundane Charisma checks! They'll roll a great Persuasion result, and then get miffed when a total stranger won't risk their life or livelihood to help them. Like, c'mon, the Arch-Wizard told this guy to guard the door; do you think he's going to move out of the way because some scruffy adventurers asked nicely?!?!?)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The Social Interaction rules in the DMG are a good guideline for DCs on Charisma checks made to resolve whether a Friendly NPC will do something for the PCs. I use those rules as the basis for all NPC interactions and social interaction challenges in my games.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
The Social Interaction rules in the DMG are a good guideline for DCs on Charisma checks made to resolve whether a Friendly NPC will do something for the PCs. I use those rules as the basis for all NPC interactions and social interaction challenges in my games.

As do I. Unfortunately for my NPC this was the result of a successful Geas spell, which is why the player got quite excited :)

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
(PS. Forget charm; I have players who do this to me as the result of mundane Charisma checks! They'll roll a great Persuasion result, and then get miffed when a total stranger won't risk their life or livelihood to help them. Like, c'mon, the Arch-Wizard told this guy to guard the door; do you think he's going to move out of the way because some scruffy adventurers asked nicely?!?!?)

When players believe Money = Persuasion check = mind control of NPC

''So, we're all agreed - everyone is aok with accepting the top secret mission for the Sultana, to fly across the hostile, monster infested desert on magic carpets and investigate the missing archeologist lost within the ancient ruins discovered on the face of angry active volcano?''

YES

''Ok, so as you agreed, you meet the captain of the guard under the cover of dark..''

WAIT. CAN I BRING A PROSPECTOR?

''..ness. Hmm what? As in.. a mining prospector?''

YES. AN NPC TO SURVEY THE AREA AND FIND POSSIBLE LOCATIONS FOR A MINE

''..er. To remind you, this is a Top Secret mission.''

SURE OK. HE'S JUST GOING TO LOOK AT ROCKS AND STUFF

''...in a dangerous ancient ruins on the face of an active volcano.''

I HAVE LOTS OF GOLD. I CAN PAY. WE CAN LET HIM OFF ON THE WAY. HE CAN DO HIS THING.

''........''

WE CAN PICK HIM UP ON THE WAY BACK

Last edited:

Remove ads