Which OSR Game for this Concept?

Reynard

Legend
(NOTE: Cross post from RPG.net for additional perspectives)

I need a break from 5e and am going to be running an old school exploratory D&D game. It will actually be played primarily through play-by-post, with occasional dips into Fantasy Grounds for real time play (a dungeon delve here or a big monster battle there).

The conceit is that the campaign is built around a large scale expedition and logistics, resource management, trailblazing and exploration will all be big parts of play. All the PCs won't even necessarily be members of the same "party" since not all of the people interested in the pbp game are interested in the live game, and vice versa.

One hundred or so people set out from the Realm to locate and explore the Founding, a generation ship that originally brought humans to this world. The weird field of the planet (magic, essentially) made their tech fail to work and forced the people to abandon the Founding. As is usual with these things, a dark age followed and barbarism took over. That was hundreds of years ago. Now, when the world is crawling back up toward an Enlightenment, the powers that be want to rediscover the Founding and figure out how to make all that sweet, sweet technology work *with* the magic in the world. Those that succeed at this expedition will be rich and famous beyond their wildest dreams. But the land between here and there is an untamed wilderness, full of savage races, terrible beasts and unknowable weirdness.

I need an old school D&D game that can support or at least bolt on all the logistical stuff, but still be fast and fun to play when those situation arise.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Hmm. Using both Labyrinth Lord and Mutant Future sounds like the easiest way to go. Hackmaster and Lamentations of the Flame Princess could also work.

Reynard

Legend
Hackmaster is far more complex than I want to go. As I understand it LotFP doesn't do much rules wise different than LL, does it? It's more feel?

Do any OSR games have fairly detailed subsystems for logistics and resource management I can bolt on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using EN World mobile app

Yeah, LL and Lamentations are pretty close in mechanics, once you strip out the feel of both. If none of those match your needs, that’s about the extent of what I can think of. But almost any of the rules-lighter OSR games should be able to accommodate a tacked-on resource management subsystem.

I imagine Rolemaster would have something, but that's an entirely more complicated rules set.

Hackmaster is far more complex than I want to go. As I understand it LotFP doesn't do much rules wise different than LL, does it? It's more feel?

Do any OSR games have fairly detailed subsystems for logistics and resource management I can bolt on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using EN World mobile app

Reynard

Legend
Yeah, LL and Lamentations are pretty close in mechanics, once you strip out the feel of both. If none of those match your needs, that’s about the extent of what I can think of. But almost any of the rules-lighter OSR games should be able to accommodate a tacked-on resource management subsystem.

I imagine Rolemaster would have something, but that's an entirely more complicated rules set.

I think LL is the easiest way to go since I know it and it's free for players. Now I just have to find tools to make the logistics part interesting.

Remove ads