Need Help with Kenku Assassin

dpkress2

First Post
Kenku Assassin build...

3 levels of Ranger(Hunter) or 5 levels of Fighter(Champion)?

Or something else?

Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The best assassins in 5e, IME, are Gloomstalker Rangers, and Shadow Monks.

Not sure what Hunter and Champion bring to the concept of an Assassin?

dpkress2

First Post
The best assassins in 5e, IME, are Gloomstalker Rangers, and Shadow Monks.

Not sure what Hunter and Champion bring to the concept of an Assassin?

Ranger = TW Fighting or Archery, Colossus slayer, cool spells,extra attack, other ranger crap

Fighter = better crits, action surge, 2nd attack, other fighter crap

I can think of a bunch of stuff.

Anyways, your reply doesn't answer my question.

doctorbadwolf

Ranger = TW Fighting or Archery, Colossus slayer, cool spells,extra attack, other ranger crap

Fighter = better crits, action surge, 2nd attack, other fighter crap

I can think of a bunch of stuff.

Anyways, your reply doesn't answer my question.

Lol ask better questions.

Your OP asks for thoughts on an assassin, and then has nothing to do with assassins.

Feel free to clarify your question, if you want answers relevant to whatever it is you meant to ask.

dpkress2

First Post
Yeah...Fair enough.

I meant for level dips. Ranger or Fighter? Perhaps none at all.

I want to play a Kenku rogue assassin and was curious if anyone had experience or advice for such a build. What do you think?

doctorbadwolf

Yeah...Fair enough.

I meant for level dips. Ranger or Fighter? Perhaps none at all.

I want to play a Kenku rogue assassin and was curious if anyone had experience or advice for such a build. What do you think?

Ah, ok!

5 levels of champion is probably a waste of levels for an assassin. Rogue gets very good stuff, and all fighter is gonna do for you is extra attack, which you don’t need badly enough to skip later level rogue stuff.

3 levels of Ranger is good, but I’d strongly consider Gloom Stalker over Hunter. Either way, Hunter’s Mark is helpful, and so are some other spells. Revised Ranger is an excellent ambusher, btw.

Fighter is actually a good dip for Assassin due to Action Surge. But I'd definitely go Battle Master instead of Champion. Battle Master's Superiority Dice get multiplied on the Assassin's auto-crits.

Gloom Stalker Ranger's extra attack also repeats with an Action Surge, by the way, since you'd be doing 2 first-round attack actions, each with the Gloom Stalker attack.

So ... Gloom Stalker 5/Battle Master 3/Assassin X = 6-attack alpha strike with Superiority Dice, Gloom Stalker attacks' extra damage, Hunter's Mark and Sneak Attack, all multiplied on crits.

Last edited:

Remove ads