Night Below

thorian

Explorer
Does anyone have a 3e or 3.5e conversion of the Night Below box set? Specifically, the Great Shaboath portion of the adventure. Thanks.

Seravin

Explorer
Funny that

Leopold,
I was about to start the conversion of book 3 myself.
Is it worth it to you to combine efforts?

-seravin

Seravin

Explorer
Posting here is just as good. At least it will provide a reference for other folks on what's going into the conversion and how to do it themselves if they don't like it.

My first question is: am I right in that it sounds like you're going to post the Book 2 conversion per the guidelines? And if so then can I assume that Book 3 should also be converted per the guidelines?

The next question is 3.0 or 3.5?

Finally, how do you want to handle multi-class characters? When I did my own conversion of Book 2, I did the conversions based on the Conversion Book that WOTC put out with the introduction of 3.0.
I cheated a bit after that however and arranged the classes so that the same level of spellcasting was still available post conversion which in the case of Kuo-Toan's meant that the rogue levels went down. Looking at the guidelines, that's not exactly the way I should have done it. <shrug>.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
1. Let's shoot for 3.5 as that's the new rule standard.

2. Class levels for the aboleth are going to go down in cleric and up in sorcerer as most of their stuff is sorcerer based or wizard.

3. Multiclass is typical i take the most approriate class for the baddy and then apply 1/2 the second or is that 1/3. I forget.

4. Convert it AS IS. I am a firm believer in this and want to be able to scale it up or down as neccessary. We can give a guide on how to do that in the end.

5. Same level spell casting? Do you mean 18 levels in cleric and 6 levels in rogue for the kuo-toans???

Seravin

Explorer
Sounds good to me.

As an example of what I did for multi-classing,
King Bupgopgoorg
2e: 12th-lvl Priest/14th lvl-Thief.
3e: 11th-lvl Cleric/7th lvl-Rogue.

Using the conversion book:
For multi-classing I used highest level (14) plus 1/3rd the remaining levels (4). For a total of 18 levels to play with.
In this case I felt that the spellcasting class was more appropriate - so I made him an 11th level cleric and 7th level rogue.

Under 3e with his Kuo-Toan levels he's technically a 20th level encounter. I think under 3.5 he's about a 16th. Which is probably just about right.

For the Kuo-Toan's I did pretty much the same thing across the board. I always tried to keep the highest level spells available after the conversion.

It sounds like you want to continue in the same vein.
ie: An Aboloeth 12th-lvl Priest/14th-lvl Wizard should convert to....
hold on.
Just had a thought....
How about an Aboleth 3rd-lvl Cleric/5th-lvl Sorceror/9th-Lvl Mystic Theurge?

edit: In retrospect it's not a straight conversion but it keeps the spellcasting intact. Otherwise I was going to suggest a 12th-lvl Sorceror/6th-lvl Cleric which doesn't really appeal to me.

Last edited:

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
The thought of MT is great!

that would be 10th level of MT though.

14 + 12/3=18 :D

As for encounter levels. I say stat out the encounter and use the encounter calc and it tells me what it will be. I use pcgen for the rest.

Seravin

Explorer
I almost went with MT-10, but it brings the spellcasting power 1 up over the original.
The cleric class would cast at 13th, giving it 7th level spells. Still, by the book it would be okay. Maybe define a defensive spell for that level?

Next question would be:
According to the conversion guidelines, we can only use what's in the SRD. Can we stat the Kuo-Toans and Mind Flayers? Or do we just say see page xx of the Monster Manual?

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
since it's a fan conversion it's OK to use the ones out of the MM. FF/MM2/ :):):):) like that it's a no, no. they haven't raised high holy hell about NB book 1 or 2 so i guess we are OK.

If they complain then we rip it out. Let's do the work and see what they say.

as for the higher level so be it. I think they need all the help they can get when the PC's face them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases