Night Below

Fast Eddie

First Post
Does anyone know where I can download a copy of the 3.5 conversion of Book 2. Had a look in the conversion library today but could only see Book 1 and 3.

Thanks

Seravin

Explorer
As far as I know, there's no 3.5 conversions of Book 2 out there. I've got a couple 3.0 conversions, and I've started a 3.5 convert, but that's the closest I've seen.

Seravin

Explorer
I haven't actually touched my book 2 conversion in several weeks - maybe two months. So I started reviewing what I had and remembered that I had gotten stalled on several questions and had put it aside to think about. Book 2 has a number of things that don't convert cleanly.

So here are some questions for the community at large. Keep in mind that the conversion has to follow WOTC's guidelines in order for it to be hosted in the Conversion Library.

Opening Chapter
1. Carmeneren isn't actually statted out, just a reference that she's a 13th level cleric. Should I stat her out anyway as a suggestion?

Burial Grounds
2. For the camoflaged door hiding the Burial Grounds, how does this sound:
Replace the Hallucinatory Terrain spell on the door with Illusory Wall. A DC16 Will save is required to notice the 'secret door' (fail the save and you don't notice the door regardless of your Search check). A DC30 Search check by someone who knows the door is there enables them to figure out how to open the door. Is the Search check too high? Should it be Disable Device instead? (the descriptions reads like maybe it should, but I think a Search check is genericly used to find and open most secret doors).

3. The Glyphs of Warding are cast at 13th level - indicative that Carmeneren is creating these. Based on damage listed these would now be be Greater Glyphs of Warding. If converted that way, the mininum save DC is 19. Assuming Carmeneren uses the elite array (15 in Wisdom) and her ability increases for level went into Wisdom, the save DC could be 21. Should I use that, or give the base DC and put in the notes that the Save DC could be higher?

4. When the statue attacked, an Inflict Critical Wounds spell affects the culprit. Should this be an unavoidable spell effect? Or should it be treated like a trap?

5. Does this sound reasonable for the Bronze Sphere? I've tried to keep HP and AC the same, though I think the natural armor bonus should be higher (+8). The 35% MR was converted presuming a 13th level party.
Bronze Sphere: CR 9; Diminutive Construct; HD 4d10; hp 30; Init +4; Spd 30ft.; AC 22 (+4 size, +4 dex, +4 natural; Touch 18, flat-footed 18); Bab/Grpl +3/-9; Atk +2 melee (1d2-5, slam) Full Atk +2 melee (1d2-5, 2 slams); Face/Reach 5ft./5ft.; SA Spell-like abilities; SQ Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, resistant to magic, SR 18; AL N; SV Fort +6; Ref +10; Will +11; Str 1, Dex 18, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 11.
Skills: Hide +12
Feats:
Resistant to Magic (Ex): Base saving throws as an 18th level Wizard.
Spell-like Abilities (Sp): As a 9th level Sorceror. Saves are Charisma based. At Will – Cone of cold (DC15), ice storm (DC14), lightning bolt (DC13), magic missile, wall of force (DC15), wall of ice (DC14).
Possessions: none

The Troll Caves
6. The green-gilled fungi is a poison. Treat it as arsenic? (Ingested, DC13, 1 Con/1d8 Con)

7. The Big Troll in area 3 - Should I add 1 level of barbarian? Or just increase Str, Dex, Con, and Wis by +2 -giving the creature a +1 to attack rolls and saves?
Also, for the Distracting Howls he makes, should the effect make spellcasting impossible? Or treat it as deafness with a 20% chance of spellcasting failure

8. Greezelet - reasonable?
I think Savage Species has a 2-headed template, but I don't think I can use it in the conversion.
Greezelet: Female 2-Headed Troll, Adept 3,CR 7; Large Giant; HD 8d8+56 + 3d4+27; hp 126; Init +5; Spd 30 ft; AC 16 (-1 size, +1 dex, +6 natural; Touch 11, FF 15); Bab/Grp: +5/+15; Atk: +11 melee (1d6+7, claw); Full Atk: +11 melee (1d6 + 7, 2 claws), +6 melee (1d6+3, 2 bites); SA Rend 2d6+10; SQ Darkvision 90 ft., low-light vision, regeneration 5, scent; AL CE; SV Fort +12, Ref +4, Will +10; Str 25, Dex 12, Con 28, Int 9, Wis 16, Cha 8.
Skills: Knowledge (Religion) +2, Listen +9, Spot +10;
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes(b), Improved Initiative(b), Iron Will, Power Attack, Track.
Spells/Day: 3/2 (Save DC = 13+spell level)
Spells: 0) Create water, touch of fatigue x2; 1) Cause fear, command
Possessions: Waterskin
Treasure: Change the priest scroll to a divine scroll with inflict critical wounds, meld into stone, prayer, and summon monster VI scribed at 11th level.

9. Giant Crayfish stats - is it reasonable use the stats of a chuul (minus the special abilities)?
Crayfish: CR 5; Large Animal (Aquatic); HD 11d8+44; hp 93; Init +7; Spd 30ft., Swim 20ft.; AC 22 (-1 size, +3 dex, +10 natural; Touch 12, flat-footed 19); Bab/Grpl +8/+17; Atk +12 melee (2d6+5, claw) Full Atk +12 melee (2d6+5, 2 claws); Face/Reach 10ft./5ft.; SA Constrict 3d6+5, improved grab; SQ Amphibious, low-light vision AL N; SV Fort +7; Ref +6; Will +9; Str 20, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 5.
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8, Swim +16
Feats: Alertness, Blindfight, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative
Constrict (Ex): On a successful grapple check, a crayfish deals 3d6+5 points of damage.
Improved Grab (Ex):To use this ability, a crayfish must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

10. The Troglodyte chieftan. He's listed as a 6HD troglodyte under the original write-up, but trogs don't advance by HD anymore. So how about Troglodyte 2/Fighter 4?

The Grell Nest
11. Hows this for a Lightning Lance?
Lightning Lance – Exotic Weapon. Dmg: 1d8, x3; 6lb; piercing. Each successful hit uses one charge and does +2d6 electricity damage, Reflex save vs. DC14 for half; CL 5th; lightning bolt.

12. The Patriarch and Philosopher Grells - Should they be Wizard or Sorceror? I think Sorceror is more appropriate, but if sorceror, the Patriarch's level would have to be advanced by +1 to keep 4th level spells.

13. I think the Deepspawn was recently converted, but how is this? Side question - do I have to reference the new conversion (if I can find it) or can I keep this conversion?
Deepspawn: CR 11; Huge Aberration; HD 14d8+70; hp 133; Init +3; Spd 20ft., Swim 30ft.; AC 14 (-2 size, -1 dex, +7 natural; Touch 7, flat-footed 14); Bab/Grpl +10/+27; Atk +17 melee (1d8+9, tentacle) Full Atk +15 melee (1d8+4, 3 bites) and; Face/Reach 15ft./5ft (tentacles have 20ft. reach).; SA Constrict 1d8+9, improved grab, spell-like abilities; SQ Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to poison, create spawn; AL CE; SV Fort +11; Ref +5; Will +12; Str 28, Dex 9, Con 20, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 17.
Skills: Hide +5, Listen +17, Move Silent +13, Spot +17, Swim +23
Feats: Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Multi-Attack, Quicken Spell-like Ability (hold person).
Constrict (Ex): A deepspawn deals automatic tentacle damage with a successful grapple check
Create Spawn (Su): A deepspawn can create perfect duplicates of creatures that it consumes. These spawn are under the complete control of the deepspawn.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a deepspawn must hit with a tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): As 14th level caster. At Will – Detect thoughts (DC15), hold person (DC15), water breathing. 1/day – Heal (self only)

Monsters at War
14. Not a question, more of an observation - Rakshasa can no longer shapechange - instead they Change Shape (su), which won't allow them to become a hook horror. I'll have a note section that recommends either ignoring the limitation of the new ability, be granted access to a Polymorph Self item, or...?

15. Finslayer - reasonable?
Finslayer: Longsword +3, Bane (aboleth), Bane (Drow), Bane (Kuo-toa).
Al: NG; Int: 17 Wis: 10 Cha: 17, Ego: 23
120ft. Darkvision and Hearing
Speaks: Common, Drow, Kuo-toan; Telepathy
Special Purpose – Slay Kuo-toa
All Abilities at 18th level
Lesser Powers: At Will - Detect Magic, Detect Secret Doors, See Invisibility,
Greater Power Ability: 1/day - Bull’s Strength
Dedicated Power – Confusion (DC17)
Additional: Wielder is immune to symbol of insanity and cannot be stuck to the kuo-toan armor (Arbitrarily added +2 to the Ego score for these powers)

The Smooth Caverns
16. Crystal Ooze conversion - Use an Ochre Jelly as the base creature. Give it the Aquatic subtype. Change the immunities to match the module’s stat block. Add DR 5/-. Give it the Gelatinous Cube paralysis and transparent special qualities.
Reasonable?
Crystal Oozes: CR 5; Large Ooze (Aquatic); HD 6d10+36; hp 69; Init -5; Spd 10ft., Swim 30ft.; AC 4 (-1 size, -5 dex; Touch 4, flat-footed 4); Bab/Grpl +4/+10; Atk +5 melee (2d4+3 plus 1d4 acid, slam) Full Atk +5 melee (2d4+3 plus 1d4 acid, slam); Face/Reach 5ft./5ft.; SA Acid, constrict 2d4+3 plus 1d4 acid, improved grab, paralyzing poison; SQ Blindsight 60ft., DR 5/- immunity to acid, cold, fire, ooze traits, transparent; AL N; SV Fort +8; Ref -3; Will -3; Str 15, Dex 1, Con 22, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1.
Skills: -
Feats:-
Acid (Ex): A crystal ooze secretes a digestive acid that dissolves only flesh, cloth, and wood.
Constrict (Ex): A crystal ooze deals automatic slam and acid damage with a successful grapple check.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a crystal ooze must hit with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.
Paralyzing Poison (Ex): Each hit with the slam attack forces the victim to make a DC19 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 3d6 rounds. The save DC is Constitution based.
Transparent (Ex): Crystal oozes are hard to seed while in the water, and it takes a DC 15 Spot check to notice one. Creatures who fail to notice the ooze and swim into I are automatically hit with a melee attack for slam and acid damage.

17. Storoper conversion
Storoper: CR 12; Large, Magical Beast; HD 10d10+30; hp 85; Init +5; Spd 10ft.; AC 24 (-1 size, +1 dex, +14 natural; Touch 10, flat-footed 23); Bab/Grpl +10/+18; Atk +11 ranged touch (drag, strand) or +13 melee (2d6+6, bite) Full Atk +11 ranged touch (drag, 6 strands) and +13 melee (2d6+6, bite); Face/Reach 10ft./10ft (50ft. w/ strand).; SA Drag, domination poison, strands, weakness; SQ Darkvision 60 ft., DR 10/bludgeoning or slashing, immunity to electricity, low-light vision, resistance to cold 10, SR30, vulnerability to fire; AL CE; SV Fort +10; Ref +8; Will +8; Str 19, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 12.
Skills: Climb +12, Hide +10* (+18 in stony areas), Listen +13, Spot +13
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Weapon Focus (strand)
Domination Poison (Su): Twice per day, the storoper may inject a supernatural poison into a creature that it hits with its strands. The creature must make a DC18 Fortitude save or come under the control of the storoper exactly as if it had come under a Dominate spell, except that the duration is for 10 rounds.
Drag (Ex): If a roper hits with a strand attac, the strand latches onto the opponent’s body. This deals no damage but drags the stuck opponent 10 feet closer each subsequent round.
Strands (Ex): The creature can have up to six strands at once, and they can strike up to 50 feet away (no range increment).
Weakness (Ex): A roper’s strands can sap an opponent’s strength. Anyone grabbed by a strand must succeed on a DC 18 Fortitude save or take 2d8 points of Strength damage. The save is Constitution based.

Caves of the Slime Lord:
18. Piercers - Treat as a hazard? I think Tome of Horrors I had these guys as such. Can I use them in the conversion (with the appropriate reference at the end?).

19. Obal Conversion - The CR is a guesstimate
Obal: CR 6; Gargantuan Plant; HD 12d8+60; hp 117; Init -1; Spd 0ft.; AC 12 (-4 size, -5 dex, +11 natural; Touch 1, flat-footed 12); Bab/Grpl +9/+21; Atk +10 melee (2d6+5, tentacle) Full Atk +10 melee (2d6+5, 8 tentacles-or more); Face/Reach 20ft./30ft.; SA Spores, tentacles; SQ Camouflage, darkvision 60 ft.plant traits, resistance to fire and cold 10; AL NG; SV Fort +15; Ref -1; Will +6; Str 30, Dex 1, Con 21, Int 5, Wis 11, Cha 11.
Skills: Hide -12, Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Toughness
Camouflage (Ex): The obal is nearly perfectly camouflaged against underground, rocky ceilings. Characters must make a DC15 Spot check in order to differentiate it from the surrounding ceiling.
Spores (Ex): When attacked, the obal will release a cloud of spores. Victims need to make a DC25 Fortitude save or be blinded for 1d4+4 rounds. The save is Constitution based.
Tentacles (Ex): The obal can attack with as many tentacles as it needs to. If provoked, it will always attack with at least 8 tentacle attacks, and will attack with an additional tentacle for every extra target in range.

That's as far as I've converted to 3.5. I'll have other questions as I progress though.

Skallon

Explorer
Conversion comments

Seravin said:
1. Carmeneren isn't actually statted out, just a reference that she's a 13th level cleric. Should I stat her out anyway as a suggestion?

If you're not burned out yet, sure :) May I suggest giving her Brew Potion and/or Craft Wand, so the PCs have another reason to go to her. It makes sense for her to have these, seeing as she's the only named cleric in her community.

2. For the camoflaged door hiding the Burial Grounds, how does this sound:
Replace the Hallucinatory Terrain spell on the door with Illusory Wall. A DC16 Will save is required to notice the 'secret door' (fail the save and you don't notice the door regardless of your Search check). A DC30 Search check by someone who knows the door is there enables them to figure out how to open the door.

Both are fine. Considering what's behind it, they could even be higher...

3. The Glyphs of Warding are cast at 13th level - indicative that Carmeneren is creating these. Based on damage listed these would now be be Greater Glyphs of Warding. If converted that way, the mininum save DC is 19. Assuming Carmeneren uses the elite array (15 in Wisdom) and her ability increases for level went into Wisdom, the save DC could be 21.

DC 21 it is. It's only 6d8, and at that level the rogue-type should have decent reflex bonuses.

4. When the statue attacked, an Inflict Critical Wounds spell affects the culprit. Should this be an unavoidable spell effect? Or should it be treated like a trap?

I'd make it a trap, with some absurd Disable Device DC like 35-40.

5. Does this sound reasonable for the Bronze Sphere? I've tried to keep HP and AC the same, though I think the natural armor bonus should be higher (+8). The 35% MR was converted presuming a 13th level party.
[snip Bronze Sphere statblock]

Looks good to me. Honestly, after the EL 15 nastiness at the entrance, the sphere ist just a minor annoyance.
<OT-Rant> Does anyone else find it strange that there are basically 160,000 gp at the door guarding 211,000 gp inside the chamber? And that's assuming they're homemade... This room made me do a triple take even in 2nd Edn. </OT-Rant>

6. The green-gilled fungi is a poison. Treat it as arsenic? (Ingested, DC13, 1 Con/1d8 Con)

Utterly reasonable.

7. The Big Troll in area 3 - Should I add 1 level of barbarian? Or just increase Str, Dex, Con, and Wis by +2 -giving the creature a +1 to attack rolls and saves?
Also, for the Distracting Howls he makes, should the effect make spellcasting impossible? Or treat it as deafness with a 20% chance of spellcasting failure

Barbarian sounds like a great fit, and deafness for 20% failure is fair.

8. Greezelet - reasonable?
[snip]
Looks good. Surprised she's only CR 7.

9. Giant Crayfish stats - is it reasonable use the stats of a chuul (minus the special abilities)?
[snip]

Brilliant. You've obviously been doing this for a while now :)

10. The Troglodyte chieftan. He's listed as a 6HD troglodyte under the original write-up, but trogs don't advance by HD anymore. So how about Troglodyte 2/Fighter 4?

Since the Trogs are mere nuisances after the Trolls, make him a Trog 2/ Warrior 4. Less feats to keep track of.

11. Hows this for a Lightning Lance?
Lightning Lance – Exotic Weapon. Dmg: 1d8, x3; 6lb; piercing. Each successful hit uses one charge and does +2d6 electricity damage, Reflex save vs. DC14 for half; CL 5th; lightning bolt.

I vote no for the Reflex save, since it's more like a shocking grasp.

12. The Patriarch and Philosopher Grells - Should they be Wizard or Sorceror? I think Sorceror is more appropriate, but if sorceror, the Patriarch's level would have to be advanced by +1 to keep 4th level spells.

I also believe Sorceror is more appropriate. I just don't see Grell carrying spellbooks ;-)

[snip Deepspawn; I don't feel competent to answer the question]

14. Not a question, more of an observation - Rakshasa can no longer shapechange - instead they Change Shape (su), which won't allow them to become a hook horror. I'll have a note section that recommends either ignoring the limitation of the new ability, be granted access to a Polymorph Self item, or...?

Or he could just use Major Image on himself. Assuming he doesn't fight very often, the 3 rounds duration after concentration ends would explain the fact that he always appears as a hook horror. After casting one or two different spells, he just re-casts the Major Image before the time is up :)

15. Finslayer - reasonable?
Finslayer: Longsword +3, Bane (aboleth), Bane (Drow), Bane (Kuo-toa).
Al: NG; Int: 17 Wis: 10 Cha: 17, Ego: 23
120ft. Darkvision and Hearing
Speaks: Common, Drow, Kuo-toan; Telepathy
Special Purpose – Slay Kuo-toa
All Abilities at 18th level
Lesser Powers: At Will - Detect Magic, Detect Secret Doors, See Invisibility,
Greater Power Ability: 1/day - Bull’s Strength
Dedicated Power – Confusion (DC17)
Additional: Wielder is immune to symbol of insanity and cannot be stuck to the kuo-toan armor (Arbitrarily added +2 to the Ego score for these powers)

Here I would have adopted the "Lesser Bane" ability by Sean K. Reynolds (and it's even OGL!). I know he now recommends not using it for 3.5, but Finslayer is so over the top already... That would make it:
Finslayer: Longsword +3, Lesser Bane (aboleth), Lesser Bane (Drow), Bane (Kuo-toa).

The Smooth Caverns
[snip]
Storoper and Crystal Ooze both look fine, good job. According to the Monstrous Master Index (http://www.sulerin.com/creatures/creatures.asp?op=index), The Storoper can be found in "Tome of Horrors 1"; isn't that OGL?

In any case, great work so far. I'm still working through your Book 3 conversion and I'm awed...
All the Best,
Skallon

Last edited:

Seravin

Explorer
Skallon said:

Thanks for the reply and the praise; I'm glad the effort seems to be worth it. I'm not burned out yet, so nothing to do but forge ahead. :)
So,
Carmeneren gets a stat-block - I'll probably use the Cleric NPC stat block and modify with the svirfneblin stats.

Burial Ground spell traps will be noted as a DC21 save, per Carmeneren's stats.

The Inflict Wounds effect will be written up as a trap - but I think the base DC for a magical trap is the minimum needed for the spell. People who run it will have to adjust upwards.

Note on the rant - by the time my party ran into the interdicted chamber they were about 16th level. Ultimately they decided to 'confiscate' the items - but they're not sure if the wizardess who created the place is living/dead/undead or even where she is.

I'm still not certain if the Big Troll should be a barbarian - raging and deafening the spellcasters is kind of a double-hit. We'll see.

Making the trog-leader a War4 makes much more sense - thanks.

Lightning Lance - Lords of Madness agrees with you. I really wish I could reference the book for the conversion.

Grell Philosopher - Interestingly enough, LoM says the Grell should be Wizards. I'll probably stat them that way. Not sure about the spellbook though - maybe a suggestion that the spells be carved into the wall - or better yet, the Patriarch's 'throne'.

Rakshasa - In the suggestion block I'll add your Major Image idea.

I'll have to pull out my ToH and look up the Storoper. As much as I like SKR's stuff, I think I'll stick to the SRD as much as possible - maybe noting the lesser bane existence.

Seravin

Explorer
BOZ said:
though not OGL-ready, i bet Lords of Madness has a wealth of info for playing in Night Below. :)
It does. Oh yes, it does.
I spent the weekend reading through it.
In a way I'm glad I didn't have it when I converted Shaboath in Book III; but it would have made things easier.
The only thing I didn't really like was that the aboleth write-up states that the aboleth are generally not priests - but Book III has a city full of them. Still, I could work with it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases