Night Below

Seravin

Explorer
Mista Collins said:
But I am currently running this campaign and my players just finished up the Smooth Caves and are going to be heading to the Caves of the Slime Lord. Anyone have this section of the adventure converted? And if so.. could you please send a copy to collinsbd@northwood.edu . I have a problem converting/creating monsters and many of the oozes I can't find anywhere.

Well, I've sent what I used as a basis. I don't have anything else in the computer unfortunately.
Some conversion notes though (personal opinion only of course):

Area 1
Piercers can be found in The Tome Of Horrors
The Lurker is also in the Tome of Horrors, and also in WOTC's Underdark

If you don't have access to Tome of Horrors, treat the piercers as a trap. Use the flat 10% chance of the characters being in the area. Atk +3 dmg 4d6.
The Lurker is more problematic to convert - but you could use the Monster Manual creation procedures to create a 10HD Magical Beast (huge) which has Improved Grab and Constrict. You can also have it use the Suffocation rules in the back of the DMG.

Area 2
The Obal is more problematic - I don't recall the source. A 12HD Plant (Huge or Gargantuan). Resist Cold 10 and Resist Fire 10, would be a good start. The tentacle attack damage would go up based on the size of the creature.

Black Pudding: MM

Area 3
Kranin is pretty easy - Human Wizard 12 He should have access to Planar Binding for the Invisible Stalkers. Monster Summoning IV will get him Fiendish Giant Wasps (Monster Summoning V will get him 1-3 of them).

Area 4
Crystal Oozes - Again Tome of Horrors is your friend. Otherwise treat as Gray Oozes which can swim and require a spot check DC15 to see in the water. Make them immune to Acid, Cold, and Fire spells. Given them DR 5/- or 10/- (your choice).

Area 7/8
Use a Standard Rakshasa from the Monster Manual. If you don't think that's appropriate I'd suggest adding Sorcerer levels.

Area 9 - Shrine to Jubilex
Gray Oozes - Monster Manual
Mustard Jellies - Tome of Horrors
Slithering Tracker - Tome of Horrors
Green Slime (Huge) - DMG - Trap - Treat as higher than a CR4 due to the size of the cavern.
Black Pudding - Monster Manual
Juiblex Idol - Standard Conversion would make this a 5HD Medium size Construct. It can't move but has an AC of 21. 4 Attacks per round (1d8 acid), which I'd treat as touch attacks (with a 50% chance of the acid lasting another 1d4 rounds). It might be easier to give it 4 Acid Arrow attacks per round. Immune to Acid and cold spells. Has DR 15/magic (or 15/adamantine if you prefer) and SR 10 (This is probably a CR6 critter, basing the SR against that ballparks it as an SR10 IIRC - personally I'd up it to at least a 15, depending on the average level of the party).

Mista Collins

First Post
Thanks for all the information. I was curious on what level your player's were when they decided to tackle the City of the Glass Pool? And how many characters were there in the group? I am just wondering if I should scale anything down a bit or up a bit.... or any other adjustments I should make.

Seravin

Explorer
Mista Collins said:
Thanks for all the information. I was curious on what level your player's were when they decided to tackle the City of the Glass Pool? And how many characters were there in the group? I am just wondering if I should scale anything down a bit or up a bit.... or any other adjustments I should make.

My players were 14th level with their first encounter of the City of the Glass Pool; but most of them leveled after that. There was a thief, a wizard, a cleric, a paladin and his paladin cohort. The paladins and priests had AC's around 29 to 31.
The group had pretty much completed everything up to this point as well as some unrelated side quests. Additionally they made use of some item creation feats and had access to some high level NPC's for some (for-pay) help.

If I recall it went something like this for me:
Encounter one - the party found the back way in through the secret door. They're prepped for a rescue mission and are packing a scroll of Teleport Circle (purchased and which they're hoping they can cast successfully - they have a designated spot they hope to bring the refugees to). They begin exploring a bit and make it to the front door. They bluff their way in past the guards and get sent to the derro barracks. They use an ethereal jaunt to make their way to the slave barracks and are immediately spotted by wandering kuo-toa.
They hustle in, kill the guards, and start rounding the slaves up. That's when they look at the casting time of Teleport Circle and realize they have to spend 10 minutes protecting Jallarzi

Meanwhile the city mobilizes and converges on the slave barracks.
It was a slaughter. There was only one front door and there's only two ways to get to it. The priest and the thief made it a killing zone. Eventually I started having the giants bang on the back wall - bursting through it, but the party was able to handle that and actually free the giants from their compulsion and get them out of the city too.

Lesson Learned: Don't send the bad guys down a narrow corridor to be killed. All the derro were slaughtered as well as two mind flayers and all three dukes. No one was really pressed for damage.

Second Foray:
The party decides to explore a couple more buildings - specifically the mind flayer and duke residence. They gave me some time so everyone who was killed was 'raised'.
Result: Better - certainly more challenging. The mind flayers caught the players a little by surprise - but it was pretty much a cake walk. A Mind Flayer Priest 11 isn't really a CR19 though. The Dukes were more challenging however and three of the characters were down to single digits before it was all over. The dukes were defintely challenging when used right. The group teleported out after that with the heads of the dukes and the mind flayers they could retrieve.

Third Foray
The party got silly and I let them. They have access to teleport and a series of mage gates to important cities. They decide to get as many earthquakes as possible together as possible and use them on the city (the priest can already cast them). They get five total (to purchased scrolls, one self created scroll, one in memory, and one in a ring of spell storing.
They teleport in and let loose over the temple, the barracks, and the palace. That's when they find out about the wall of force over the palace. They then assault the temple.
It's mostly cleanup work though and while they feel pressed for a few rounds, again no one is in serious danger. This is the foray where the firestorm went down the central plaza from temple to front gate.
The group spends several days after this dealing with summoned monsters

Fourth Foray
The party teleports in, goes through the temple and assaults the palace. It was a cake walk. I made some bad calls and in general it was a black day as a DM - still it was pretty darn easy regardless. I almost put the module aside for awhile. Instead I tried to figure out where I screwed up.

Things I did right:
1. I had cheat sheets of all the spell casters at hand and I made notes of their highest level spells and what they could do. I noted who could raise dead especially. Planar Ally, Commune, and Scrying are also important spells.
2. In converting the dukes I made sure that they kept the minimum level to cast their highest level listed cleric spells and then made the rogue levels match the converted levels.
3. I used Planar Ally and Scrying and Commune as soon as I thought the bad guys had a reasonable idea of what was going on. The kuo-toa have access to a boatload of resources - they should use them.
4. When the party gave the bad guys down time, I made sure the bad guys used it.

Things I did wrong
1. I didn't follow the timing well enough. There was about a week between the party wiping out the derro outpost and their assault on the City of the Glass Pool. Granted they made sure there were no visible survivors (rock to mud on the ceiling over the corpses and a dispel magic). But the city should have been on a higher alert - possbily summoning an earth elemental to look for bodies to be raised for descriptions of the attackers.
2. I let the party dictate the battlefield - this is hard not to as they have far greater tactical resources than the bad guys. I didn't make use of Hallows or Forbiddances until after the first assault.
3. I wasn't ready to defend the palace - I should have canceled the game where they assaulted the palace.

Gray areas
1. I gave the party too much the benefit of the doubt on what the bad guys could reasonably get on the party. The mind flayers are super intelligent and between commune and scrying maybe they could have learned more about the party - or not.
2. Additionally the initial spell load out for all the priests was set for a city load out. I didn't add a combat load out until after the first assault.
3. I kept levels and magic the same. Upside is that it was easy to convert and run. Downside was that the defenders were underpowered for their level - maybe significant, maybe not.
4. The defender's position sucks. The party can teleport in when and where they want (you can't Forbiddance the city). That's an enormous tactical advantage.

That said, would I do anything different?
I might (might!) up the levels of the high priests so that the chief mind flayer and kuo-toa king could cast 7th level spells (maybe 8th).
I might also consider more usage of the Book of Vile Darkness and the use of Illithid Grafts from the Fiend Folio.
I would certainly use the Watery Death domain from Underdark.
The party would have been attacked nearly every day. My most effective tactic was to send an eryines into Haranshire and have the party try and defend against her depredations - it bought me about a week or so of time.

Regardless, more spellcasters who can withstand (or evade) some damage and who can cast dispel magic (or scrolls of greater dispelling) would have been nice.

That said, be careful of adjustments. None of the encounters in the second or third book scale very well to the CR system because of the sheer number of monsters in each encounter - and sometimes that doesn't mean anything.
In the second foray the alarm went out pretty early and I attacked the party in waves - a 15th level mage and a 15th level priest quickly decimated the bad guys - leaving the paladins and thief feeling like 5th wheels.

In the end, I think I recommend some customization for flavor, but I would hesitate on giving additional levels across the board. However it wouldn't be out of line to give the chief bad guys 2-3 more levels just to get them in shouting range of the party.

If you're using Underdark or the Forgotten Realms in general, consider the City of the Glasspool in the Middledark and implement appropriate teleportation rules (Spellcraft check in order to successfully arrive on target).

Ithilorien

First Post
Hi everyone, a google search brought me to this thread, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed so far.

I'm trying to convince my DM that we should try the Night Below (I bought the box several years ago when I was DMing) on the premise that I think it's really cool and haven't looked at it in so long that it'll be new to me, but she's turned off by the idea of trying to convert it to 3.5 rules.

Does anyone have a full to near-full conversion ready?

Or at least one of Book 1?

If not, any ideas of where we could find conversions?

Seravin

Explorer
arnoo said:
Hi guys !
Seems a deep and great work.
Can u send me the conversion files, too please ?
Thanks, arnoo

edit : merptest@yahoo.fr

I've sent a (near) SRD compliant draft your way. Leopold and I only did a first pass through it, so it is rife with errors (for my part at any rate), but we touched every section of the book. All non-SRD monsters have been pulled, but references for the monsters have been provided.

All in in all it's about 85% there.

Seravin

Explorer
Ithilorien said:
Hi everyone, a google search brought me to this thread, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed so far.

I'm trying to convince my DM that we should try the Night Below (I bought the box several years ago when I was DMing) on the premise that I think it's really cool and haven't looked at it in so long that it'll be new to me, but she's turned off by the idea of trying to convert it to 3.5 rules.

Does anyone have a full to near-full conversion ready?

Or at least one of Book 1?

If not, any ideas of where we could find conversions?

The conversion library has Book I.

Leopold and I were working on Book III, but things got busy.

I haven't seen a True Book II, though I know some people were working on it. I managed to find an interpreted Book II conversion - but I found that the person who did the conversion cut down the encounters for his party. It was a fairly rational thing to do, but it didn't work for what I was doing.
edit: that said, it was pretty easy to make work for me. It was a good job overall.

Last edited:

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Seravin said:
The conversion library has Book I.

Leopold and I were working on Book III, but things got busy.

I haven't seen a True Book II, though I know some people were working on it. I managed to find an interpreted Book II conversion - but I found that the person who did the conversion cut down the encounters for his party. It was a fairly rational thing to do, but it didn't work for what I was doing.
edit: that said, it was pretty easy to make work for me. It was a good job overall.

I've sent into morrus a book2 conversion and he hasn't posted it. I have it 99.9% complete.

Seravin and I got book 3 pretty solidly done. It's not going to work per se for my party and from the sounds of it not entirely his. I am going to have to skip to the bottom in book 3 and go from there as my pc's are already 18th level and I don't feel like wadding through combat after combat to get to the point of the whole plot.

Seravin

Explorer
Leopold said:
I've sent into morrus a book2 conversion and he hasn't posted it. I have it 99.9% complete.

Seravin and I got book 3 pretty solidly done. It's not going to work per se for my party and from the sounds of it not entirely his. I am going to have to skip to the bottom in book 3 and go from there as my pc's are already 18th level and I don't feel like wadding through combat after combat to get to the point of the whole plot.

Actually, for me the conversion is mostly working, but I'm using all the suggested upgrades we talked about. There are too many good opportunities for future plot hooks (if I decide to use them).
Szandur became a prominent member of the local mages guild - who's officially MIA while she does her research. She has a friend who can teleport who got her there. At the very least she has the opportunity to provide some additional information on the aboleth runes.

Sukenhome claimed a character - nearly three times. The rogue has now learned to at least take 10 on the searches (and insists on 20 if there's no reason not to).
It was a great place to introduce a temple to Jubilex and things from the Book of Vile Darkness.

The Fire Giants will be a lead in to a Giant Kingdom under the earth (Stone, Fire, fomorian and Hill Giants all appear within the books). I'll have to detail this sometime and will probably ask for help from the community.

The renegade mind flayers can also provide some info for the party - we'll see if the party accepts it.

The derro killed a party member (party averaged 16th level about then), but other than that don't provide anything.

The fiends were a good role-playing opportunity for my group - but that was about all.

I look forward to the Ixzan and I hope the party goes to the isle of shadow (if only so the conversion won't be for naught).

On the whole, it's given me time to learn the ins and outs of high level tactics and how to deal with it and gives the players some experience with their characters before they hit Shaboath. YMMV

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Servain can you contact me with the book3 files? I need them for the weekend as I don't have them.

Or if anyone has the book 3 files available please shoot them my way as I got a new computer as the old computer literally blew up on me and the data is MIA.

bd_92@yahoo.com

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases