D&D 5E Mike Mearls - Reddit AMA

He's all but saying Ebberon in 2018, with the mentions of Keith Baker and how he considers Ebberon a core setting alongside FR and Ravenloft.

Early after 5th edition was released Mike was asked if we would see the Eberon and dragonlance campaign settings.
His awnser was that they would only do these campign settings if they could get the right people that could do these setting justice.
Basicly no Eberon without Keith Baker and no dragonlance without Margaret Weis.

So Keith Baker working with WOTC might indeed be a big clue to the working on Eberon.

neobolts

Explorer
Sadly Cure Wounds is only 2hp more than Healing Word which is a ranged bonus action heal.

Administering a Potion of Healing is an action for 2d4+2 HP and doesn't use a spell slot.

I don't see much use for Cure Wounds.

Yeah, the difference is better when casting at higher levels. I should've mentioned that. At level 1, Healing Word has the edge.

I think it was Mearls who said they are not giving forums as much weight anymore. Which I think means they still look and considered forum feedback more heavily before. I love forums and think there has been tons of great ideas and feedback but I also think it can look distorted from the real world, which I do think is also important sometimes. As a way to really focus on some things. But I’ve stated my other option too.

I would assume the move away from giving so much weight to forum posters started when WotC shut their own forums down. When they had those, they could at least try to track members who were just using alts to try and influence things. But on third party forums like this one, that would be impossible to do, so they had to reduce the influence that forums had on their decisions.

darjr

I crit!
For many of us, it IS a good thing.

It is for me. I largely have the game I want and am busy running intro games and convention games and ‘other’ games besides my regular game to help grow the hobby. I hope it goes from glacial to geologic. And then only for cases when a new story or setting requires it.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Early after 5th edition was released Mike was asked if we would see the Eberon and dragonlance campaign settings.
His awnser was that they would only do these campign settings if they could get the right people that could do these setting justice.
Not that it matters, but I thought it was Chris Perkins who said this. Maybe it was both of them?

Mike Mearls isn't taking away your bonus actions, you can stop panicking now.
Seriously! Mike's thoughts on bonus actions aren't the only interesting things he said during the AMA. The fact that they're still working on subclasses (with some "familiar" ones possibly appearing in January's UA, plus new ones on the horizon) is pretty interesting.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
One thing I like about bonus actions is that it gives me design space to inflict some pain on PCs, but not completely take them out of the game. i have given monsters abilities that inflict disadvantage on or prevent bonus actions. This allows me to nerf the PCs, but not completely shut them out and I like that flexibility.

flametitan

Explorer
Not that it matters, but I thought it was Chris Perkins who said this. Maybe it was both of them?

Seriously! Mike's thoughts on bonus actions aren't the only interesting things he said during the AMA. The fact that they're still working on subclasses (with some "familiar" ones possibly appearing in January's UA, plus new ones on the horizon) is pretty interesting.

Honestly, while it is cool, I don't think too many of us are surprised that there will be more subclasses. It's the most logical way to expand 5e, and with the fact that they're going to cut up the Mystic to have a more focused concept, it gives room for psionic subclasses to be added to the others. Personally, I'd love to see them tackle runic magic again; what we got in SKT was a little underwhelming, and if I recall, rune magic was popular, just not the idea of returning prestige classes to the game.

pukunui

Legend
Honestly, while it is cool, I don't think too many of us are surprised that there will be more subclasses.
I find it surprising that they are already working on more subclasses, given that XGE only just came out. What with all their talk of taking it slow, I would think that they'd go back to working on other things beside subclasses for a while until they're ready to release another XGE-style book.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases