On being self centered - Spells that is

Tinker

First Post
Cheers Teemu. I see how you're reading that - emanations radiate from point of origin, point of origin is the caster, etc. But control weather is also "centred on you". I think (though I'm still open to anyone pointing out to me where it says that areas of effect are stationary as a general rule, since that does seem to be the majority view) the case is almost equally strong that therefore it remains centred on you if you move during the spell duration.

If the complexity of adjudicating the effects makes you (and Gantros and maybe others) want to avoid this interpretation specifically for control weather, fair enough. Let's have a think through... For any point on the landscape you're interested in, if the caster moves towards it, then the designated weather condition begins to arise when the caster gets within 2 miles, and reaches full effect 10 minutes later, as long as the caster is still within 2 miles. If the caster is moving continuously, the circle will have a leading edge (at standard human movement rate about a thousand yards wide, something under a third the radius of a 2-mile circle) where the weather conditions shade from normal to full effect. A point that the caster passes directly through (at normal human movement) will be within the radius for about 70 minutes, so will experience about an hour of the spell's full effect. At the trailing edge, I think DMs are left to determine whether the weather condition flicks off abruptly, fades off for 10 minutes, or something in between. Personally I'd have the game effects (if relevant) flicking off sharply, but chuck in some flavor text that the feel of it lingered for a minute or so. For points on the landscape that the caster passes by at some distance, the time within the radius will be shorter - less than 10 minutes on the very skirts, so in these places the weather condition is noticeable for a few minutes but never reaches full effect.

OK, that is kinda complicated, but unless you keep a detailed map of the weather history of every field and bush, you don't need all that. You just need to know the weather for the PCs and key NPCs, and in detail only when a combat or other crucial situation is being played out. In most cases those crucial situations will involve the caster, so all you need to know is that the designated weather condition is in effect where the caster is, and covering the combat grid, for the duration of the spell. If you have split the party, or if you're moving towards or away from a key NPC and you want to know how long they experience the weather for, then all you need to keep track of is the distance between the caster and the character/s in question.

Anyway, there's clearly enough obscurity in the RAW that an interpretation is required, and each DM will have her or his preference. As I say, I'm still interested to find out the source of the view that areas of effect are generally stationary and that "centred on you" in various spell descriptions should be read as "centred on the point you occupy at time of casting, even if you then move".

Remove ads