Turning D20 Modern into"Modern Dungeons & Dragons"

Thomas Bowman

First Post
I have some ideas. What if we substituted the classes Fighter and Rogue or all the Modern Core classes in D20 Modern. We would then update the feats and skills for those two classes to fit those feats and skills found in the D20 Modern Core Rulebook and the D20 Future rule book. Lets add two additional kinds of armor class. The new Starfinder RPG has EAC and KAC which is Energy Armor Class, and Kinetic Armor Class as a substitute for AC, instead of doing that, I would have EAC and KAC in addition to just plain AC. Plain AC is for muscle powered weapon attacks and natural attacks. (Weapons in the 3.5 Players Handbook, and natural attacks from creatures, ie teeth, claws, gore, etc) KAC only deals with high velocity projectiles such as bullets fired out of a gun, and EAC deals with those weapons that have energy attacks, lasers from D20 Future, ray guns of various sorts, and flamethrowers and dragon's breath. A dragon would now have to roll to hit with its breath weapon against an opponent's EAC for example.

Keep in mind that everything in D20 Modern and Pathfinder is under the Open Gaming License, and I'm not so sure about Starfinder, but (in the worst case scenario) you can always copy game mechanics and just change the names.

Write that book, publish it digitally for less than $10, and I will buy a copy.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Thank You.

Starfinder, I believe, got their idea for EAC and KAC from Alternity. Alternity had three kinds of Armor Class, one to deal with energy weapons, one to deal with high velocity projectile weapons, and the third to deal with muscle powered weapons. I'm not sure you can copyright three-letter combinations, anyway that idea is not original as Alternity thought of it first, but they cut it down to two armor classes, that means by the way that a suit of full plate mail has just as much chance of deflecting a high velocity bullet fired from a sniper rifle as it does deflecting a sword blow or an arrow, if that was true, then our soldiers would still be wearing plate mail armor as that would save lives. One problem with D20 Modern is the game doesn't have a mechanic to distinguish from modern firearms and medieval weapons. I would fix this by having three different types of Armor Class, I would leave the D&D Armor Class just as is, to deal with the sorts of weapons it normally deals with.

I think two classes can cover the full range of skills found in the D20 Modern World. Magic-using classes are out of the ordinary. Someone just doesn't cast a spell in the Modern World without drawing a lot of attention. I find it more interesting to see how the Modern World reacts than to have a cover-up mechanism where everybody disbelieves and then goes about their normal routine, rationalizing what they saw as something else mundane. This is what happens in the Percy Jackson setting for example.

Remove ads