Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic

Daiymo

First Post
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Four thousand years before the rise of the Galactic Empire, the Republic slowly recovers after teetering on the verge on collapse. After years of attacks by a seemingly invincible armada, the Republic has broken the power of the renegade Sith, defeating their conquering juggernaught.

The Sith's war of conquest has left the Jedi Order scattered and weakened as countless Knights fell in battle, and many more swore allegiance to the Sith. On the city-planet of Coruscant, the Jedi resume the war-interrupted training of young padawans to replenish their thin ranks.

In the skies above Coruscant, a small sleek ship enters the planet's atmosphere. It avoids the busy travel lanes of the city and heads for landing port far from the planet's center where it disappears amongst the urban sprawl.

But in another part of the city....

Amongst the rooftop gardens of the great ziggaraut that is the Jedi Temple, three padawans arrive to await their master. Vandar, Jedi Master and member of the Jedi Council has instructed his padawans to gather in the garden for reasons unknown. In the shadow of the five towers of the temple, the three assemble in the otherwise empty but scenic gardens.

Last edited:

Starman

Adventurer
Joran paces impatiently around the gardens, the beauty of which does not even register with him. He sits down on a bench after a moment and slumps down, leaning his head back and looking to the sky.

"I don't suppose either of you know why we're here, do you? I hope it's some real action finally. I'm tired of training and sparring and testing and listening to some old master who hasn't left the planet in dozens of years drone on about the Code. I want to get out there," he waves his hand at the sky, "and ... just be a Jedi! You know what I'm saying?"

He gets up and begins pacing about again. While he does, he absent-mindedly draws his lightsaber and begins twirling it about in his hand.

garyh

First Post
"Meesa be wantin' ta be showin' what I can do, too, Joran, but weesa try too much, too fast, weesa be in for de bombad hurtin'!" Brasa replied. The Gungan was calm and cool compared to his impatient collegue. "Plus, weesa both be knowin' de path ambeetion can lead too..."

Starman

Adventurer
"How will we know if we will be in for a uh... 'bombad hurting' if we never get a chance to get out there and prove ourselves? Ambition is only bad if you take it too far. I know where to draw the line," Joran says.

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
Yun clasps his hands behind his back and, tearing his eyes away from the beauty of the gardens, turns toward his fellow apprentices:

"A word of advice from someone who has seen some of that "action" you so crave. Your wish might be a bit rash, as it seems to have the habit of cropping up when you least expect it to. And in rather strange ways, too."

"Besides," he adds with a grim smile, "not all problems can be solved with a lightsaber."

Daiymo

First Post
From behind the greenery of a low decorative hedge, a small form emerges, as if out of thin air, followed by a nervous looking Bothan wearing a hooded grey robe.

Less than meter tall, with dark green skin, and furrowed brow, Master Vandar approaches the group. Wearing a bemused expression on his wizened face, the diminuative Jedi Master and Instructor stops to look over the three padawans. "You have all assembled. Good.", he begins, his tone grandfatherly and deliberate as always. "I hope you do not mind my request to meet here, but I am fond of these gardens. And it seemed a fine place to make my guest comfortable." Vandar nods absent-mindedly at the Bothan.

Master Vandar begins to walk through the garden, looking around, the Bothan close behind. Master Vandar's species was unknown to the padawans, as was his age, but all Jedi in the Temple spoke of Master Vandar in reverential tones, and his great command of the Force was evident to even the most inattentive young Jedi.

"I sense you each strain within the confines of the ziggaraut. But then again, one need not be strong in the Force to know this. That is normal I suppose." The Master sighs. "These times in which we live call for younglings to grow up faster than I would prefer. And such is our situation that the Jedi-all Jedi- must serve when they are asked. So it is for you three." Vandar leads the padawans around a bend in the garden to a small bench in an alcove.

Master Vandar stops near the alcove. "Padawans, allow me to introduce Kreth, an...." Vandar pauses "...information broker. He has worked with the Coruscant Police and our Order in the past, and he is most reliable." Vandar turns to the Bothan. "Kreth, please relate your tale to my pupils."

The Bothan lowers his hood, looking anxious. His fur ripples as he looks around the garden. "Ahh, honored Jedi. Great honor to work with you, yes. As I have told your Master, I have become recently acquainted with a rather small time smuggler, a Twilek named Griff Vao. He is new to this planet, for I have never met him before; and in my circles I know most everyone." Kreth smiles proudly.

"This Twilek has let it been known that he has exotic artifacts for sale. Since I have contacts with several important personages in Coruscants, shall we say, Underworld, I was privy to a preview of these artifacts. Griff boasts that what he has are Jedi artifacts, crystals and talismans that I am ignorant of, but they look most expensive." Kreth's fur ripples."To be honest ,this surprises me, for Griff seems to be a being of rather low intelligence."

Vandar interrupts."The Jedi Council would normally not be interested in this activity, but Kreth's description of the artifacts seems most accurate; they may well be Jedi in nature. Therefore, I have been authorized to allow you, my padawans, to look into the matter. Your assignment is to go to locate, apprehend and question Griff. Kreth believes he works alone, so recover whatever contraband he has smuggled into the city. Return him to the Temple for further questioning. If he has access to artifacts, we would be most interested in knowing where he obtained them."

"Ahh yes, and I remain here as sign of good faith. "Kreth adds," When you confirm my information, I shall be rewarded handosmely. But my information always first rate. Just be sure to leave my name out of your inquiries, yes?"

The Bothan looks around again nervously. "One more thing," he continues," Griff is staying in a flophouse called Allod's Palace, down in the Crimson Corridor- the old redlight district. But he frequents Twi-Light, a cantina not far from Allod's, very, very popular with Twilek spacers. The Corridor is seedy and a bit dangerous and close to ground level. But nothing too difficult for Jedi, yes?"

Master Vandar gazes at his pupils. "It has been my honor to be your teacher this past year. I feel you are ready to undertake this duty. Be mindful that this honor was given to you by the Council as recognition of your abilities. You leave as soon as you are ready- an airspeeder is ready on landing pad on the other side of the garden. The coordinates of the Corridor are in the speeders spot on locater, so you only need follow the directions."

The small Jedi Master looks up at the trio, a twinkle in his eye. "But surely my padawans have useful questions to ask before they embark on this mission?"

Last edited:

Starman

Adventurer
"Besides," he adds with a grim smile, "not all problems can be solved with a lightsaber."

Joran gives Yun a yeah-sure-whatever-you-say look.

He listens to what Master Vandar has to say.

"Questions? We have all the info we need. I'm ready to go!" he says with a pat on his lightsaber.

Douane

First Post
Yun makes a quick mental note to check later if the comforting effect of the gardens does apply to bothans in general.

"Master Vandar, while it is of course unacceptable for such artifacts to remain in the hands of non-Jedi, I wonder why this task is assigned to three apprentices?
Shouldn't one or at best two of us suffice if this Vao truly works on his own?

Also there is the however slim possibility to consider that he might have purchased the artifacts legally somewhere. How are we to proceed to recover them then?"

Daiymo

First Post
"A fine question, padawan" Vandar replies. "While it appears that this Twi lek is alone in his efforts, this is not confirmed. I would prefer not to assume anything in this matter. Therefore I have decided that the three of you should undergo this task."

"And remember, Yun, while each of you are skilled, you are still pupils." Master Vandar's voice becomes a bit sterner. "Take nothing for granted."

Kreth crosses his arms and grumbles,"Bah he is a smuggler. Seen his kind a thousands times."

Vandar smiles and his tone brightens. "It is possible that this smuggler obtained these artifacts legally. However, the fact he is attempting to sell them on the illegal market is ......suspicious. While crystals could be obtained, albeit with difficulty, talismans are rare and ancient artifacts. The Jedi have always guarded such items closely, and it is strange that a non Jedi would possess such things. A reputable dealer, I think, in rare items would not be peddling them in the red light districts of the city. and if you do uncover that Griff has obtained these items legally, I am sure the Order would purchse them at an equitable price."

"As to how to approach the situation, I leave this to you. This mission is a test of your talents and methods, and I have great confidence in you."

"But you Brasa, you have remained silent," Vandar says turning his gaze to the Gungan,"have you anything to ask?"

garyh

First Post
"Meesa be thinkin' dis be lookin' toooo easy, Master Vandar," the Gungan replied. "Is there any other strange doings a-happening dat may be related?"

After a pause, the Gungan added, "That you could be tellin' us about, of course, Master."

Remove ads