Fourward Path

Well, I'm a great believer in the possibility of what Ron Edwards calls "vanilla narrativism" - that is, "story now" RPGing without player-side mechanics to support it beyond the sorts of action declarations one gets in classic D&D, Rolemaster, etc.

So I think that you can have player-driven, story-focused RPGing without the sort of metagame mechanics you describe. But you need to use procedures that are different from the Gygaxian GM-as-dictator. Taking suggestions is probably the most important. These can be suggestions from the players about world elements (places, NPCs, etc) that need to be settled for the game to go ahead, and that are relevant to their PCs backstories, goals etc; and also suggestions about where the game is going to go next.
Oh, sure, and we did it, at times anyway, though it was considered in those days a sort of 'variant' kind of RPing in the circles I traveled in. There were many lists of backgrounds and personality quirks and whatnot you could dig up from various magazines, as well as the 1e DMG, Arduin Grimoire, etc. 'Shared Narrative' where everyone was allowed to add things to the world was a fairly well-known technique, though it usually was relegated to 'experimental' games.

With your example of xenobiology, the player can ask "Can we stop it by toying with its reproductive strategy?" And if the GM takes the suggestion, then that means "say 'yes' or roll the dice" - assuming it's an important issue in play (those dame tribbles!) then the GM will call for a roll. If the roll succeeds, the strategy works.

In the context of Traveller, this depends (I think) on taking the lead of the books in setting appropriate difficulties for throws, and allowing appropriate DMs. (Eg the Electronics skill, I think maybe in the revised (ie 1980 rather than 1977) version, includes suggestd DMs for INT and EDU.) In my game, I've defaulted to 8+ for non-straightforward stuff, and 10+ for hard stuff.

As far as rolls against characteristics, I'm mostly following Andy Slack's advice in White Dwarf and using 3D-2 (gives a range of 1 to 16, so even a 1 can succeed and even a 15 can fail). But I think stat checks are relevant only for fairly basic stuff - Xenobiology is going to be more like 10+, +1 if EDU 8+, +2 if EDU A+. The rulebook does encourage the referee to keep track of these rolls and DMs to gradually build up a consistent world. This is very similar to Luke Crane's advice to Burning Wheel referees, that setting difficulties is the most direct way in which the GM establishes the world for the players.

I agree the rules don't make it clear what EDU is for; and MegaTraveller muddies the waters with a whole lot of knowledge skills. Our game follows Classic with no knowledge skills, and we're using EDU as flavoured by PC backstory - so the INT 8/EDU 13 ex-navy guy who never got a commission but is a member of the TAS spent all his salary on TAS membership so he could travel the universe looking for signs of alien life, and his EDU is a doctorate in xeno-archaeology; whereas the two ex-military guys with INT 2/EDU 10 and INT 3/EDU 9 clearly read the manuals very closely, but there EDU isn't going to help them much when xeno-biology is at stake. This is, in effect, similar to a background-flavoured skill system like 13th Age, but done in an informal and consensual basis - which goes back to the importance of taking suggestions from the players. This sort of system won't work well in a competitive/hostile environment where the players see their job as outwitting/out-"rules"ing the GM - but luckily that's not something I have to worry about in my RPGing.
Yeah, Traveller is muddy in general about EDU vs knowledge. Presumably every skill has an associated knowledge, a ship's engineer with Engineering 4 is presumably pretty up on the technology of fusion reactors. Maybe he's not a physicist and INT/EDU would better answer a question about that, except of course there's no indication of what EDU actually MEANS, a 15 might indicate a guy with 3 PhDs, but in what? Chargen doesn't answer that at all! Its a system that is ALMOST there, but it just falls short. Knowing what I know now, I can easily enough mold it into what I want, and I like that and favor using Traveller for that purpose, but when we played in the 70's and 80's it failed us in the end, or we failed it...

I personally think it is harder than that.

AD&D, incuding in its 2nd Ed incarnation, just doesn't generate characters with the right sort of richness and nuance to make vanilla narrativism easy. An exception is thieves - I've had success running an all-thieves AD&D game, with the focus on petty larceny and hijinks in Critwall and then the City of Greyhawk. Maybe druids or paladins would work too, but it's too hard to get a party of them without tweaking the PC gen rules.
I think fighters are the issue here more than anything. Clerics are a bit bland, but 4e does rather encourage you to push the players into specialized priest classes (in my 2e campaign the cleric was banned). Wizards are pretty rich too, though richness through vastly better options isn't a genius game design, it still kinda works.

I also think that Oriental Adventures is an exception, because it's PCs do come with comparatively rich backstories and implied capabilitiese. And the non-weapon proficiencies can play a similar role to the one that I described for EDU above. Even here, though, I think it's harder than Traveller: the default check difficulties in OA are absurdly high, which makes it harder to use "say 'yes' and roll the dice"; and if you go with WSG/DSG/2nd ed stat-based proficiencies then there is a different problem - stats come to dominate play, and players have a strong incentive to push the proficiency system into an unnuanced resolution mechanic to end-run around harder checks that would be dictated by thief skills or whatever.
We kinda moved on and didn't mess much with WSG/DSG, so I don't even know what the issues are there. OA is a great game, but it is actually a good bit different from classic D&D. It uses the RULES, but there's a completely different emphasis on 'social adventure' rather than dungeon crawls, troupe play where you run your clan, event-based play, and other such things. That being said it can also play a lot like 1e/2e of course, being mechanically almost the same game. And yeah, the checks in OA are too hard, you have to lower them, except maybe for a few combat-usable ones that might break the game (sort of like what you are referring to I think with WSG/DSG).

I think clearly Traveller is closer, I don't think we are arguing that, really. D&D is still reasonably flexible, both games real limits are in terms of their basic core genre, you can't really make Traveller into a more fantastical game very easily, and you can't make D&D feel at all realistic, or do fantasy genre very far from what it is built for, but this is pretty much true of all RPGs. I mean people tried to make the 'Ultimate RPG' and we got GURPS, which is an OK game, but vastly too complicated for most uses IMHO.

Traveller, if you extrapolate from the example checks given in the books, is just cleaner for this stuff, plus doesn't have the distraction of having to build it onto a wargaming chassis (where combat always gets better but only thieves automatically get better at their other stuff).

I haven't tried vanilla narrativist RQ - I think it would sit between Traveller and D&D, as I don't think it has quite the right skill load-out to get away from the wargaming, but the wargaming is ultra-brutal. (I've GMed a lot of vanilla narrativist Rolemaster - it has the right skill list, and its development system allows players to shape their PC skill load outs, which is a type of "flag-flying" to the GM.)
Yeah, RQ is stupid brutal, silly really. I think we once calculated that in a battle between 1000 trained warriors on each side an average of 200 of them would accidentally kill themselves with a bad roll, and another 100 would be killed by friendly fire. RQ combat also takes a LONG TIME to play out, unfortunately. I think this, more than anything, doomed the game to niche status. The play experience just doesn't stand up to D&D.

RM is nice, but too fiddly for most. It seems more like 3e before 3e than anything else. I think I bought just about the time I finally figured out that more rules wasn't better, lol.

I agree about the default Traveller party, although once you add in Citizens of the Imperium it gets a bit more varied. For me, what is more significant compared to D&D is the implied setting and hence implied challenges. If the default challenge is orcs in a 10' room, pulp movie cultists and chess puzzles, it's hard to build serious story. How does any of that relate to character motivation?
I understand, that was why my example was D&D that was NOT doing that ;). It can be done, but you gotta have players that are willing to try.

Whereas trying to make a living, getting recruited by terrorists in the restaurant at the Travellers' Aid Soceity, dealing with officials who have actual worlds to govern: that's more promising raw material for buidling something out of, I think.

You can try and add it into D&D, of course, but then you get the problem that PCs have no connection to it by default (due to lack of background/lifepath for most PCs - again, thieves, paladins, druids and monks excepted to various degrees), and they also don't have the mechanical capacity to engage with it via "say 'yes' or roll the dice".
Sure, there's a sense in which there's more subtlety to a realistic sort of game.

I'm using opposed checks in Traveller. The odds of one 2d6 roll beating another is very slightly better than the odds of rolling 8+, so it seems to work OKI.

I think they were made official, or semi-official somewhere along the way.

pemerton

Legend
Traveller is muddy in general about EDU vs knowledge. Presumably every skill has an associated knowledge, a ship's engineer with Engineering 4 is presumably pretty up on the technology of fusion reactors. Maybe he's not a physicist and INT/EDU would better answer a question about that, except of course there's no indication of what EDU actually MEANS, a 15 might indicate a guy with 3 PhDs, but in what? Chargen doesn't answer that at all! Its a system that is ALMOST there, but it just falls short. Knowing what I know now, I can easily enough mold it into what I want, and I like that and favor using Traveller for that purpose, but when we played in the 70's and 80's it failed us in the end, or we failed it...
I tried to run and play Traveller in the 80s, but couldn't get more out of it then a few false starts, a few skirmishes, a bit of trading play, etc.

To make it work now I'm deploying a whole range of skills and techniques that I didn't have then, and that I think it would be pretty hard to get out of Traveller on its own. It's broadly the same set of skills and techniques I use to run 4e (except more random content generation, because that's what Traveller is!).

OA is a great game, but it is actually a good bit different from classic D&D. It uses the RULES, but there's a completely different emphasis on 'social adventure' rather than dungeon crawls, troupe play where you run your clan, event-based play, and other such things.
Agreed. We never did the "troupe" thing, but one adventure I remember had the PCs - a bushi and a kensai - negotiating and playing dice games with a group of ogres in the latter's mountain hold.

OA was where I really started to develop character-focused, more player driven GMing based less on planning and dungeon mapping and more on a general sense of genre/backstory, a few key relationships, and following the players' leads. That then led me to run the all-thieves game I mentioned before switching to GMing Rolemaster almost exclusively for nearly 20 years (March or so 1990 - Oct or so 2008)!

I think clearly Traveller is closer, I don't think we are arguing that, really. D&D is still reasonably flexible, both games real limits are in terms of their basic core genre, you can't really make Traveller into a more fantastical game very easily, and you can't make D&D feel at all realistic, or do fantasy genre very far from what it is built for, but this is pretty much true of all RPGs.

<snip>

there's a sense in which there's more subtlety to a realistic sort of game.
I think that last point may be why the formal symmetry you point to between D&D and Traveller doesn't (in my view) map onto a substantive symmetry.

A related thought, which goes to RPG culture probably more than details of systems.

The way 4e solves the subtlety/realism/meaningful stories issue, while (in my view) remaining fully within the D&D paradigm, is by taking cosmology seriously and setting the players (via their PCs) loose among it. But a lot of the D&D community seems to have this "GM's world as sacrosanct" idea which makes them scared of letting the players actually do stuff.

When your RPGing doesn't involve meaningful mundane stuff (because your PC sheet as a D&D player just doesn't give you many hooks onto that) and doesn't involve meaningful non-mundane stuff (because the GM's world is too precious for your input/"damage" to it) then that seems to have exhausted, and excluded, all the meaningful stuff!

5e seems like it could have broken from this not by going 4e's cosmology way, but by respecting the "GM's world" tradition while using background as a way of hooking PCs (and so players) onto the more mundane stuff. But I hardly see any discussion of backgrounds, or how they really made much of a difference in 5e play. And there is still the issue that once you have the attack and hit point stats of a dragon, there's some sort of inevitable gap between you and the mundane.

darkbard

Legend
The way 4e solves the subtlety/realism/meaningful stories issue, while (in my view) remaining fully within the D&D paradigm, is by taking cosmology seriously and setting the players (via their PCs) loose among it.

I understand and agree categorically with what you say about GM game sanctity above, but would you say a little more about what you mean here by "cosmology."

pemerton

Legend
I understand and agree categorically with what you say about GM game sanctity above, but would you say a little more about what you mean here by "cosmology."
By "comsology" I mean that metaphysical aspect of fantasy as it figures in D&D: planes of existence, otherworldly forces arrayed against one another in struggles that link the fate of those planes to the mortal world, etc.

I think 4e takes it seriously in a few senses: (1) many PC builds connect the PC to the cosmology (eg dwarves vs giants; Raven Queen devotees vs Orcus; warlocks and their patrons; elves and the Feywild; etc); (2) the tiers of play explicitly reference the cosmology, and PP and especially ED choices strengthen the connections of PCs to it; (3) these cosmological elements are statted out and so useable in play; and so (4) the connections that are referenced at (1) and (2) can, because of (3), actually become the subject matter of play at the table without the game breaking or the GM having to make everything up from whole cloth.

This also solves the problem of establishing meaningful stakes for ultrapowerful PCs without collapsing into self-parody: an issue since at least 1st ed AD&D (with its charts that notionally contemplated 29th level MUs etc but rules, Monster Manuals, etc that only worked up to about 12th level or so).

A flip side of this is that I personally wonder whether Dark Sun can really work all the way to 30th level, because I'm not sure the relative mundanity of Sorcerer Kings etc can fit with the mechanical and fictional "heft" of epic tier PCs. It seems that it might work better as a setting that caps out at paragon. The general lesson (if I'm right - and I'm conjecturing, not talking from experience) would be that if you don't want your D&D to take cosmology seriously, and are going to focus on more worldly/mundane challenges, then recognise that and don't force your most gonzo elements onto that setting. (But then, to reference the other part of my post that you quoted, you better be prepared to make that mundane stuff sing, and I worry a bit that even 4e doesn't have quite enough to make that work - although I think [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] would disagree, if he's paying attention, as he always has interesting ideas - a lot better than mine! - for how to make skill challenges work for mundane physical/geography challenges of the sort that Dark Sun should involve.)

darkbard

Legend
A flip side of this is that I personally wonder whether Dark Sun can really work all the way to 30th level, because I'm not sure the relative mundanity of Sorcerer Kings etc can fit with the mechanical and fictional "heft" of epic tier PCs. It seems that it might work better as a setting that caps out at paragon. The general lesson (if I'm right - and I'm conjecturing, not talking from experience) would be that if you don't want your D&D to take cosmology seriously, and are going to focus on more worldly/mundane challenges, then recognise that and don't force your most gonzo elements onto that setting. (But then, to reference the other part of my post that you quoted, you better be prepared to make that mundane stuff sing, and I worry a bit that even 4e doesn't have quite enough to make that work - although I think [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] would disagree, if he's paying attention, as he always has interesting ideas - a lot better than mine! - for how to make skill challenges work for mundane physical/geography challenges of the sort that Dark Sun should involve.)

I remember that you and I had a brief exchange about the beginning of your comment above around a year ago, wherein you expressed the same doubts. At the time, I didn't entirely understand the concern because 4E right from the beginning made a big point of stressing the separation between the mechanics and the fluff, or, to be more precise, the flexibility with which the fluff could be reworked to achieve the fictional desiderata while maintaining the mechanical structure.

But I've never played at Epic tier, and, to be honest, have only cursorily looked at Epic Destinies. So there very well may be key components of play at that tier that invalidate what I am about to suggest, but couldn't the cosmological implications of Epic game elements be tweaked to give them a more "mundane" focus? And by "mundane" here I mean limited to a single world cut off from any divine or planar influence.

Or couldn't those planar elements be tweaked to correspond to Athas's two moons or the planar structures that do exist in the setting, the Gray and the Black?

Nevertheless, I do agree that much of the appeal of a Dark Sun game lends itself to challenges that are most easily engaged and defined by PCs at the Heroic tier. I look forward, eventually, to finding out how these can hold their charm and develop further for PCs at higher tiers of play.

I too would like to hear [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] 's ideas about skill challenges for Paragon or Epic tier play on Athas, but I fear he is no longer posting these days....

pemerton

Legend
I remember that you and I had a brief exchange about the beginning of your comment above around a year ago, wherein you expressed the same doubts. At the time, I didn't entirely understand the concern because 4E right from the beginning made a big point of stressing the separation between the mechanics and the fluff, or, to be more precise, the flexibility with which the fluff could be reworked to achieve the fictional desiderata while maintaining the mechanical structure.

But I've never played at Epic tier, and, to be honest, have only cursorily looked at Epic Destinies. So there very well may be key components of play at that tier that invalidate what I am about to suggest, but couldn't the cosmological implications of Epic game elements be tweaked to give them a more "mundane" focus? And by "mundane" here I mean limited to a single world cut off from any divine or planar influence.

Or couldn't those planar elements be tweaked to correspond to Athas's two moons or the planar structures that do exist in the setting, the Gray and the Black?
My answer is "maybe" - like I said, I'm conjecturing.

Here are a couple of reasons for doubt:

* Most epic destinies have a "come back to life" power - that is fine for a game of gonzo demigods, but how does it fit with Athas, and the Sorcerer-King's extreme steps taken to achieve immortality?

* If the Dark Sun game turns into something more focused on those planes, rather than the deserts and the Sorcerer Kings, then how is it really a Dark Sun game anymore?

Now, maybe you can trim back the list of EDs, and/or reflavour some of those abilities to be less gonzo - Legendary Sovereign, for instance, might fit a characer who displaces a Sorcerer King as a noble ruler of a city state, but it's also a ED that sometimes seems as if it should have been a PP!

But my epic tier experience really has made me think of those PCs as demigods and the like - which is not just flavour but the powers that open up, like the ones I mentioned. Maybe that's what's feeding my doubts. If you did epic first in Athas, with an appropriate list of EDs, maybe you wouldn't feel the same way?

[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1282]darkbard[/MENTION] , I've posted twice in the last 3 days! That may be some gathering momentum!

Wee bit sick, so I'm going to lay down for a rest. I'll skim the thread and read your exchange and post some thoughts this evening most likely :)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, RQ is stupid brutal, silly really. I think we once calculated that in a battle between 1000 trained warriors on each side an average of 200 of them would accidentally kill themselves with a bad roll, and another 100 would be killed by friendly fire. RQ combat also takes a LONG TIME to play out, unfortunately.
All they needed were some rules for gangrene to finish it off ;)

I actively played and DM'd Stormbringer (no hit location specific armor and hit points complicating things)

Generally I felt the RQ rules were lacking the Heroic factor something which in my opinion a simple patch of adding fate points could have fixed the easy eratic player death.

I found the time to play out highly variable... very often a single stroke kill or disablement and no time at all

I tried to run and play Traveller in the 80s, but couldn't get more out of it then a few false starts, a few skirmishes, a bit of trading play, etc.

To make it work now I'm deploying a whole range of skills and techniques that I didn't have then, and that I think it would be pretty hard to get out of Traveller on its own. It's broadly the same set of skills and techniques I use to run 4e (except more random content generation, because that's what Traveller is!).
Yup! Have you played with the old d6 Star Wars system? It is kinda fun too, and can really work well as a more modern style game. I think I like Traveller better, but d6 Space isn't bad. I ran a short campaign with it, and it did what I wanted (Space Opera, not surprising).

Agreed. We never did the "troupe" thing, but one adventure I remember had the PCs - a bushi and a kensai - negotiating and playing dice games with a group of ogres in the latter's mountain hold.
Troupe play is actually kind of an assumption of all Gygaxian play too, though it isn't QUITE the same as OA's version. I think OA was intended to elaborate troupe play and kind of revive it, as it was a lot less prevalent by the 80's. If you read the 1e DMG and all its talk of timings and henchmen and whatnot you get a very clear idea. Now, couple THAT with the player side part from OA, it works quite well! OA also has all those campaign events that can help drive that mode of play.

OA was where I really started to develop character-focused, more player driven GMing based less on planning and dungeon mapping and more on a general sense of genre/backstory, a few key relationships, and following the players' leads. That then led me to run the all-thieves game I mentioned before switching to GMing Rolemaster almost exclusively for nearly 20 years (March or so 1990 - Oct or so 2008)!
It never stops amazing me! lol. Honestly I kinda liked RM, but I just couldn't seem to run it.

I think that last point may be why the formal symmetry you point to between D&D and Traveller doesn't (in my view) map onto a substantive symmetry.

A related thought, which goes to RPG culture probably more than details of systems.

The way 4e solves the subtlety/realism/meaningful stories issue, while (in my view) remaining fully within the D&D paradigm, is by taking cosmology seriously and setting the players (via their PCs) loose among it. But a lot of the D&D community seems to have this "GM's world as sacrosanct" idea which makes them scared of letting the players actually do stuff.

When your RPGing doesn't involve meaningful mundane stuff (because your PC sheet as a D&D player just doesn't give you many hooks onto that) and doesn't involve meaningful non-mundane stuff (because the GM's world is too precious for your input/"damage" to it) then that seems to have exhausted, and excluded, all the meaningful stuff!

5e seems like it could have broken from this not by going 4e's cosmology way, but by respecting the "GM's world" tradition while using background as a way of hooking PCs (and so players) onto the more mundane stuff. But I hardly see any discussion of backgrounds, or how they really made much of a difference in 5e play. And there is still the issue that once you have the attack and hit point stats of a dragon, there's some sort of inevitable gap between you and the mundane.

5e coulda.... Yeah, and I coulda bought that lotto ticket! lol. Your 4e comment definitely segues into the DS discussion. See, DS, being 'Sandals and Sorcery' isn't SUPPOSED to give your character too much real power. S&S is a genre where in the long run fate gets you. Everyone is mortal, everything eventually turns to dust, gold disappears in dens of iniquity, etc. So its hard to map that onto the 4e paradigm of world-shaking heroes. DS loses the inevitable harsh aspect when the PCs could actually overthrow the SCs and maybe even end the defiling and bring a new world. That would certainly what the fantastic flavor of Epic PCs would lead one to expect they would accomplish. The best DS should offer is maybe overthrowing the local tyrant and then trying to deal with the consequences (which is exactly where the meta-plot of 2e DS went). Seems very paragon. DS themselves seem more like paragon figures than epic. Like maybe they've hit level 23 or something, they have the DS ED, but they got a long ways to go still.

I'd just say that Traveller is likewise a fairly low power curve game. This is the area where d6 Space is a little different. You CAN keep it down in the reasonably low power range, but you can also let it run up to almost 4e-Epic levels of gonzo.

Last edited:

Remove ads