D&D 5E New to D&D 5E

Vathraq

First Post
The wizard died. Only had 14 HP. Only took 2 shots. As, I expected he received no heals in any of the sessions.

So, I guess I will try the, what was it, rogue scout? The above has some recommendations on stats and weapon choice. Any other advice on optimizing it from backgrounds and such?

Last edited:

Spastik

First Post
Bards are awesome, but they aren't easy to play (neither is a Wizard). Just know that you are squishy at lvl 1, everyone is. I am currently doing a 1 lvl Bard, 2 lvls in Hexblade, then the rest in Lore Bard. Darn guy can do just about everything in game, just not the as good as the specialized ones.

Galvaneal

First Post
wizards are indeed great for utility but even though the party doesn't like Bards it really rocks. It is one of best utility classes, as it makes everyone else better. Specifically a lore bard. It can buff, debuff, lots of crowd control. Damage mitigation etc

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Trying to understand the group you are playing with. Not the characters, but the people playing them. Based on your comments about not getting healing, I infer that one of the following is true:

1. They didn't like your character so they refused to heal him.

2. This is a group with a very mercenary play style, where everyone is expected to pull his own weight and if your hit, you are on your own, unless the parties/other members/the mission's survival depends on you getting back up.

I hope it is more #2 than #1, though neither is the type of group I like playing with.

Given what you've said about their feelings about bards and given what you said about them not healing you, I would avoid playing a bard, even though I am a fan of the class in 5e.

What about a high-elf rogue that take the arcane trickster archetype at 3rd? max on Dex in your point buy and make your second highest stat intelligence so you are exceptionally stealthy and have a decent spell casting attack modifier out of the gate. Plus at first level you get any wizard cantrip. Take Fire Bolt for a 120' ranged attack that does 1d10 damage at 1st level. So hide way back behind total cover, wait until your comrades are in melee with the baddies, then step out, fire bolt as sneak attack damage, step back behind total cover. 1d10 plus 1d6 damage per round while minimizingn your risk is useful to your party. At send level your damage goes up for both the cantrip and sneak attack, plus you can use cunning action to take the hide action as well as getting behind cover. At third level, Mage Hand Legerdemain is an exceptionally useful low-level utility power.

If you want want to risk taking a more martial role, try a Tortle Barbarian. Without wearing armor, you get natural base AC 17, without having to max out both dex and con. Since a tortle's AC isn't going to improve with more dex, max out on strength and con. At forth level, take the great-weapon master feat if your GM allows feats. By fourth level, you'll be able to take a lot of hits and dish out some great DPR. For 1st level, if things look rough, you can hide in your shell for an additonal +4 to your AC. Your DM may hate this, but based on RAW, a Tortle should be able to rage and then hide in its shell for 21 AC AND half damage from bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage if anyone manages to hit. Played well, a Tortle Barbarian should have a good chance of surviving to higher levels. Have him rage, take out a minion or two and then hide in his shell while the rest of the party finishes off the big bad.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases