Wizard school of Enchantement Homebrew alternate idea.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I am a crazy person. I sometimes get game design ideas stuck in my head and I have to complete them and tell someone who usually doesn't care to let it go and calm my mind. ... This is one of those times and I am putting it hear because my wife really don't another 2 hour explanation (she has only played D&D 3 times) and it seems less crazy here. Now that this is posted I can sleep. Thank you and good night.

School of Enchantment

As a member of the School of Enchantment, you have honed your abilities to ether magically enhance, entrance, or beguile. This school unlike others has two sub specialties Inanimate empowerment and Cognizant manipulation. Enchanters of Inanimate empowerment are often highly sought-after trades men supplying protection for the fight against evil or selling weapons to mercenaries for great wealth. Cognizant manipulation enchanters can easily be peacemakers who bewitch the violent to lay down their arms or tyrants who magically bind the unwilling into their service. Most enchanters fall somewhere in between.

Enchantment Savant
Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, the gold and time you must spend to copy an enchantment spell into your spellbook is halved.

Enchantment Specialty
At 2nd level, when you adopt this school, you choose a specialty and gain its feature.
Inanimate empowerment: You gain the enchanters touch. You may as an action touch a weapon, set of armor, or a shield and expend a spell slot to place a temporary enchant on the item. When you do so the item gains a temporary magical bonus of +1 and is treated as magical when determining damage type for 8 hours at which time the power of the enchant fades and the item returns to its previous state. If you empower an already enchanted item the bonus does not stack it simply maintains the higher bonus of the two for the duration of the spell. As you gain levels as an enchantment wizard you can create stronger temporary enchantments using higher level spell slots as you grow in your enchantment abilities. As a level 5 wizard enchanter you may use a level 3 spell slot to provide a +2 bonus for a duration of 16 hours, and as a level 11 wizard you can use a level 6 spell slot to provide a bonus of +3 for 24 hours. However, the bonus provided by this spell is reduced by 1 every 8 hours until depleted.
Cognizant manipulation: You gain subtle bewitchment, you gain the Friends cantrip, it does not count against your cantrips known and you may cast it without components. Also, whenever you successfully cast Friends or Charm Person on a humanoid target, when the spell ends the target must make a successful wisdom saving throw against the casters spell DC or they are unaware they have been charmed unless the spell was broken by unintentionally such as loss of caster concentration or as the result of a dispel magic spell being use on the target.

Residual enchantment
At 6th level, you gain a magical benefit based on the specialty of your choice. You can choose the same specialty you selected at 2nd level or a different one.
Inanimate empowerment: You gain elemental imbuement, allowing you to use an action and expend a spell slot to add elemental power to ether a ring or weapon you touch for 8 hours. If on a weapon that weapon does an additional 1d4 damage of a type you select from acid, cold, fire, lighting, or thunder. If on ring, the ring must contain a gem listed below and provides damage resistance to a type of damage according to the type of stone set in the ring until the imbued enchantment fades. Rings enchanted this way require attunement however if an unenchanted ring is equipped and the bearer does not have 3 items attuned the ring becomes attuned automatically during enchantment.

Gem Damage Resistance
Pearl Acid
Tourmaline Cold
Garnet Fire
Citrine Lightning
Spinel Thunder

Cognizant manipulation: You gain Broad appeal, when a creature you can see within 30 feet of you makes an attack roll against you, you can use your reaction to divert the attack, provided that another creature is within the attack’s range. The attacker must make a Wisdom saving throw against your wizard spell save DC. On a failed save, the attacker must target another creature or the attack is rolled against you with disadvantage even if the attacker would have advantage

Enchantment affinity
At 14th level, you gain a magical benefit based on the specialty of your choice. You can choose the same specialty you selected previously or a different one.
Inanimate empowerment: Your skill with enchantments has lead you to the ability to attune to one more than most. You can now attune to a max of 4 items.
Cognizant manipulation: When you cast an enchantment spell with a wisdom save on a target, the target has disadvantage on the save roll unless they would have advantage.

Lingering Enchantment
At 14th level, you gain a magical benefit based on the specialty of your choice. You can choose the same specialty you selected previously or a different one.
Inanimate empowerment: You gain permanence and may touch and item that you have previously enchanted with a +1, +2, +3 or resistance to damage that does not have a permanent enchant on it and expend a level 7 spell slot or higher to increase the duration of the temporary enchant last 1 month. If you expend an 8th level spell slot the enchantment duration is extended to a year, and if you use a 9th level spell slot the enchant becomes permanent.
Cognizant manipulation: You can use your action to touch an incapacitated humanoid. That creature is then charmed by you until a dispel magic spell is cast on it or the charmed condition is removed from it. When the spell ends on a creature, it knows it was charmed.

Last edited:

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I see what you did here. I think part of this comes from how enchant, enchanting, and enchantment can have multiple meanings, unlike the other names used to describe the other schools. Because when you place magical power within an item, you have enchanted it.

But ultimately I think this is more a semantic issue. I personally don't see a connection between the magic the can manipulate minds and emotions and the magic that imbues items with Arcane energies. I do think it is worthy of its own school of magic, but I think the concept would be stronger with a bolder differentiation from mind magic enchantment and magical item enchantment.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases