Goodman Games Latest News on Into The Borderlands

Goodman Games announced at GaryCon last year a license with Wizards of the Coast to publish 5th Edition conversions of classic Dungeons & Dragons adventures, as well as reproductions of the original first edition versions. The first two adventures up for the 5th Edition treatment are B1: In Search of the Unknown and B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. Today, Goodman Games have revealed the preliminary front cover design for Into The Borderlands as well as an interview with Chris Doyle, who converted both the adventures to 5th Ed.

Goodman Games announced at GaryCon last year a license with Wizards of the Coast to publish 5th Edition conversions of classic Dungeons & Dragons adventures, as well as reproductions of the original first edition versions. The first two adventures up for the 5th Edition treatment are B1: In Search of the Unknown and B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. Today, Goodman Games have revealed the preliminary front cover design for Into The Borderlands as well as an interview with Chris Doyle, who converted both the adventures to 5th Ed.

Into the Borderlands is expected to be a 380 page hardcover. All the writing, editing and art are completed but Goodman want to add a few extra things before it goes off to print.

The hardcover includes:

· Restored scans of two complete printings of the original B1: In Search of the Unknown. Specifically, the second and sixth printings, one featuring the original monochrome cover and the other featuring the later color cover by Darlene.
· Three complete monster and treasure assortments for stocking the dungeons of In Search of the Unknown (which are “un-stocked” in the original 1E edition).
· Restored scans of two complete printings of the original B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. Specifically the second and fourth printings. These are distinguished the change in monster stats between the two printings (Dexterity scores were included in early printings). The later printing also features six interior illustrations that were not present in earlier printings.
· A complete, “pure” 5E conversion of In Search of the Unknown, including tables for stocking it with creatures.
· A separate chapter with a few new encounters for the Caverns of Quasqueton, all inspired by references in the original work.
· A complete, “pure” 5E conversion of The Keep on the Borderlands.
· A separate chapter with a few new encounters for The Keep on the Borderlands, all inspired by references in the original work.
· Appendices with 5E stats for newly introduced monsters, hirelings and followers, and magic items.
· A chapter of introductions and testimonials.

You can read the full interview with Chris Doyle on Goodman Games site.

I don't get the feeling they are doing this just so people can play the adventures... it's just as much for archival purposes. People buying them aren't buying them just to play them, the whole point is to have really good versions of classic D&D adventures to have in their collections.

That's preposterous! The truth is, it's a product for fanatics, those "shut up and take my money" guys who never stops to think what the hell they are paying for. I'm not saying this is just for the money, it's not, but it's not for history's sake, either. If it was for archival purposes, they would be reprinting each individually, probably all the original reprints, and in short stocks for museums and libraries and collector's clubs and such.

Why they did choose to include three versions of the same two books, that is not explained and we can only speculate but there is nothing that points at those archival purposes. Not for the moment.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Why they did choose to include three versions of the same two books, that is not explained and we can only speculate but there is nothing that points at those archival purposes. Not for the moment.

I dunno... I think including three versions of the same two books *is* the thing that points towards those archival purposes.

At least moreso than pointing towards "publishing a module strictly to be played". ;)

Zarithar

Adventurer
I own the original so don't need it for "archival purposes". I'll be running the 5e version and am looking forward to the newly fleshed out wilderness surrounding the Keep. Saves me the trouble of converting it myself!

At least moreso than pointing towards "publishing a module strictly to be played". ;)

The standard objective of a roleplaying game book is to play with it. It's only when it is something else, that it should clearly indicated, although this thing (this several versions of the same work in one tome) is new to the industry and I don't know of anithing similar. But you might be right if we compare these books to literature, where a poem can be found in all or several different versions, even if a little has been changed from one to the next, in poet's anthologies.

Let's just wait and see.

darjr

I crit!
They’ve done this several times now. Made archival copies of classic titles, from metamorphosis alpha to grimtooths traps. But your right, it’s also meant to be a sturdy copy for play as well. They’ve said as much during the metamorphosis alpha Kickstarter. I want it for both those things. And note that in the metamorphosis alpha Kickstarter they made a soft cover and pdf of the core rules book available. Maybe they can find a way to do something similar with this.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I have an in-the-box version of KotB. I don't own CotU.
I'm interested in this because I'm:
- too lazy to look up all the monsters' stats in 5e
- too poor to make all the Xeroxes at Staples; and
- too time-constrained for all the cut-and-paste necessary to create a new DM's Edition of the adventure.

I've wanted for a while to find and buy and read and play Return to Keep on the Borderlands. Now I might have to get serious about that.

P.S. There was a recent thread detailing Changes to Keep on the Borderlands. The point was to describe some pre-session prep work that makes the module handle more smoothly during play.
Some changes were of the simple "Write the name of each shop on the Keep map, so you can give directions from -here- to -there-" variety.

Galendril

Explorer
I own In Search of the Unknown and Keep on the Borderlands. I also liked the playtest version of KotBL they did for DnD Next. But, Into the Unknown is pretty much a handful of encounters and the rest is randomized. Even the map makes no sense. In the old days, players would make their own maps and you'd say stuff like "you go down the hall 30 feet and it comes to a T intersection". Or, "the passage turns left, but at a 35 degree angle". It was just a pain in the ass, but I guess we used to consider that fun. Now I just say, the halls twist and turn until they party reaches a decision point or encounter. It was a really boring and tedious dungeon.

My point being, if they were to reprint ISotU, the should of at least put planned out encounters instead of the same sad random tables and update the map.

Last edited by a moderator:

darjr

I crit!
Also remember, this is the first of possibly many. If you wan't to see more of this for other mods, like maybe the desert of desolation or barrier peaks, buy it.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads