Cave in => buried... how do you get out?

Artoomis

First Post
Darklone said:
Are there rules somewhere how to get out after you are buried, either in an avalanche or cave in?

Nope. More than likely the character dies.

If you are buried, you can't speak or move, so, unless you can do silent, stilled, eschew material components (you can't reach for them) spells, you are pretty much out of luck.

We had a high-level wizard get killed this way.

You can use the "holding breath" rules from swimming to see how long you've got. Maybe someone can rescue you, if you are very, very lucky.

In any case, excpt for the whole "how long can you hold your breath" thing, no special rules are needed, I think.

Last edited:

isoChron

First Post
From the spell "Bombardment" Magic of Faerun:
Burried subjects suffocate until they climb from under the rocks (this is a full-round action). A buried creature has nine-tenth cover and concealment.

DMG 3.0 page 85 Landslides and Avalanches:
pinned -> 1d6 subdual damage per minute while pinned -> unconscious -> CON-check DC 15 or 1d6 damage per minute until FREED or dead.

DMG seems to rule that you can only be freed from outside. No check available.
You can't free yourself once you are buried.

BYE

Darklone

*Incoming houserule detected...*

Well, ok. Guess Freedom of Movement spells might help a bit? Grease anyone?

Still spells?

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Re: Re: Cave in => buried... how do you get out?

I don't see that you necessarily wouldn't be able to speak. Maybe if you were buried in soft earth or sand but if people can often speak when pinned in a collapsed building or a collapse of a rocky tunnel or something. (Heck, if the character were lucky, somatic components might even be possible).

Artoomis said:
If you are buried, you can't speak or move, so, unless you can do silent, stilled, eschew material components (you can't reach for them) spells, you are pretty much out of luck.

Cybern

First Post
And I guess high strength PCs' players would whine when you tell them that they can't try to get out, but they can lift horses... :D

Artoomis

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Cave in => buried... how do you get out?

Elder-Basilisk said:
I don't see that you necessarily wouldn't be able to speak. Maybe if you were buried in soft earth or sand but if people can often speak when pinned in a collapsed building or a collapse of a rocky tunnel or something. (Heck, if the character were lucky, somatic components might even be possible).

True. Circumstances will dictate what you can and cannot do.

Remove ads