Starfinder Starfinder - Tips for running the game and the learning curve

I've been looking through some Starfinder material at my FLGS and must say I'm impressed with what I've seen! I am quite intrigued and interested in getting into the game.

I've been running a D & D game since the mid-90s in one form or another, beginning in 2nd edition. I skipped 3rd and 4th, converting to 5th in 2015. I have experience with running Palladium and GURPS, but beyond that, absolutely no experience with Pathfinder or 3E. Is there a pretty steep learning curve here or is it pretty straightforward? I will be running it for a group of inexperienced, first-time role-players, so I want them to have a good experience.

Starfinder looks like everything I wanted Spelljammer to be, and more. I'm planning to pick up the Core book, the monster book, a few of the maps, character sheets, GM screen, the tokens and one or two of the modules (the artwork alone makes them worth, IMO). What sort of advice do you guys have for getting started with and running this game? Are there any online resources, aside from those at Paizo and EN World you may recommend?

I ended up buying the Core book today and it honestly seems pretty straightforward. I'm excited to run my first game. I'm still interested in tips and feedback, but not nearly as nervous as before.

The two things that seemed to trip people up in the first Starfinder adventure I played were 1 – the starship combat rules and 2 – how to calculate your starting HP. Other than those two points, things went pretty darn smoothly.

Though not as streamlined as I would’ve liked, Starfinder is still a lot simpler than Pathfinder, and got rid of a number of the “not fun” rules, to its improvement.

Thanks for the feedback on those points. I'll have to study the starship combat rules a bit more in-depth, as I've come across that same issue. The game is fun so far.

I've been following Digital Dungeon Masters live play utube videos as a prelude to running a game myself. I find it helps clarify both rules & scenario plot at the same time as well as underlines potential issues or provides some "scene-setting" descriptions I can then steal for my own use etc.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases