D&D 5E Which classes would you like to see added to D&D 5e, if any? (check all that apply)

Which class(es) would you like to see added?

• All of the Above

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Artificier

Votes: 99 43.0%
  • Alchemist

Votes: 56 24.3%
  • Duskblade (Arcane Fighter base class)

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Gladiator

Votes: 22 9.6%
  • Jester

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Knight

Votes: 22 9.6%
  • Mystic

Votes: 72 31.3%
  • Ninja

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • Pirate

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Prophet

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Samurai

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Shaman

Votes: 66 28.7%
  • Summoner

Votes: 49 21.3%
  • Warlord

Votes: 90 39.1%
  • Witch

Votes: 45 19.6%
  • None, it's perfect the way it is!

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 35 15.2%

Slit518

Adventurer
D&D 5e does a good job of giving us enough class options and sub-class options to fill almost every void. But are there some ideas that are missing that you would love to bee shown?

Now, before you start philosophizing about, "Why this class, why that class, why not this class, why not that class," just sit back, relax, and have some fun with it. Choose any or all options that best suit your thoughts on the matter.

Now, does D&D 5e need more classes? Most likely not! But, it seems people prefer more character creation options no matter what they are!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Voted Pirate (cool idea!) and Other: a better-defined version of both Illusionst and Necromancer, either as sub-classes of Wizard or full classes in their own right.

EDIT: Damn, just noticed Knight is on the list, should have voted for that one too.

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
I'd love to see them take several of their 3.5 prestige classes and turn them into full classes. That or turn them into a sub-class to one of the base classes, which it honestly looks like they've already done a little bit.

Some of the prestige classes I'd like to see are: Alienist, Beastmaster, Geomancer, Kensai, Leviathan Hunter, Master of Masks, Rage Mage, Sublime Chord, War Hulk and War Weaver.

3y3g00

First Post
I think "All of the above" should be all of the below.

I'd also like to see a dedicated shapechanger class (rather than the moon druid) that didn't rely on casting.

Slit518

Adventurer
I think "All of the above" should be all of the below.

I'd also like to see a dedicated shapechanger class (rather than the moon druid) that didn't rely on casting.

I thought of that after I posted it. At least we're on the same page in regards to that.

In regards to a dedicated Shape Shifter class, that sounds interesting. I know a Shaman or a Witch would have Shape Shifting potential, but wouldn't be a dedicated class.

Maybe a Morpher or a Morphium class? Or a Shape Shifter? Whatever you want to name it.

G

Guest 6801328

I chose "Other". I can't possibly determine just from a list of names. What matters is the design space, not the title. So maybe you're assuming they would be similar to classes from previous editions, but I think that's a bad way to go about it.

The "design space" I could see exploring:
- A more animistic/primitive caster class. Something that encapsulates shaman and witches and witch-doctors. -INT-based, but whereas Wizards are "book learned" these would be more informally schooled, or self-taught. Mechanically I would like to see spell lists that exclude most direct damage spells, especially the flashy nukes, and maybe even make it a half-caster, then make up for it with interesting, subtle support features. The druid could have served this role if they had put the shapeshifting into sub-classes.
- Although I detest Warlords, I have been persuaded by [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION] and some others that there's room for a more flexible "martial support class". So I could picture something that is like a fighter but less so (if that makes sense) with more room in the sub-classes to tack on interesting and flavorful abilities.
- I've also always wanted a divine magical support class that more resembles a priest from WoW than a cleric from D&D. While you can build such a thing, it's always a bad tradeoff. But this could also be solved with a cleric sub-class that had an ability or abilities that only function when no armor is worn.

And that's about it. Looking through the list in the poll I could see almost all of them (if we are envisioning the same thing because, again, the OP just provided titles, not concepts) fitting in as subclasses of existing classes.

Greg K

Legend
I chose Duskblade, Shaman, Witch, and other.
I chose Duskblade because it had Arcane Fighter in parenthesis. I would choose another name for the class and then make the Bladesinger, Duskblade, Eldritch Knight, and Spell Sword all sub-classes.
For other, I want a) a more general Martial Artist class than the monk for Unarmed Fighters (this would be for those that want to model characters off of Bruce Lee, Jean Claude van Damme, Steven Segal, Chuck Norris, greco-roman wrestlers, 70's Kung Fu theater,more mythic unarmed fighters etc. with without many of the "crappy" inappropriate monk abilities that have plagued the monk since 1e); and
b) a half caster class for the 3e OA Shaman (perhaps more general with variants that include the OA Shaman and the more "clericy" friar, and an arcane or sorcererous version).

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

I thought of that after I posted it. At least we're on the same page in regards to that.

In regards to a dedicated Shape Shifter class, that sounds interesting. I know a Shaman or a Witch would have Shape Shifting potential, but wouldn't be a dedicated class.

Maybe a Morpher or a Morphium class? Or a Shape Shifter? Whatever you want to name it.

I could potentially...maybe...see a Lycanthrope "class", where each sub-class was for a specific form.

It raises a host of problems and paradoxes, but the only other solution would be to make it a race, and racial benefits aren't strong enough to really make a great Were-something.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Although the Witch could be covered in several different current flavours: Druid, Warlock etc., (should there be a comma after a full stop there?),?, a dedicated class might be interesting.

I know that there is a lot of support/interest for the dedicated Warlord Class and am unsure why WOTC are digging their heels in over just designing this class for the fans. It is wanted, so just bite the bullet and do it. Strange one, this.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases