D&D 5E magic item rewards for an Artificer?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Just a simple question:

I know Artificers are all about making their own magic items, but what magic items would be super handy for an artificer to find in a treasure hoard or as a quest goal?

neogod22

Explorer
Just a simple question:

I know Artificers are all about making their own magic items, but what magic items would be super handy for an artificer to find in a treasure hoard or as a quest goal?
Making magic items are expensive and takes time, especially very rare and legendary, and unless the character is just going to a lot of time not adventuring to make one item, it would be better finding them.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Making magic items are expensive and takes time, especially very rare and legendary, and unless the character is just going to a lot of time not adventuring to make one item, it would be better finding them.

well, then maybe my question is just "what magic items are especially good for an artificer"?

jgsugden

Legend
In general, they can use any magic items that are available to all PCs. However, I think you're looking for items that are most useful to this specific class. Because the class is not fully supported with official rules, I would create items that support the class.

Are they focused on alchemy or guns?

If guns, I think you can come up with a variety of magic items that mimic real world gun technology. You might reskin a wand of fireballs to be a grenade launcher that attaches to their weapon. You might add a scope that allows the character to use a bonus action to double their ranges until the end of their turn. You might decide it would be fun to give them an area attack that is essentially a machine gun. Or make armor piercing ammunition (that reduces enemy AC - useful when combined with advantage). For book items, anything that allows them to gain altitude or see better would make obvious sense, as do the Figurines of Wondrous Power.

If alchemy, I would look for things that increase range. I gave a magic cesta to the alchemical artificer in my game. It allowed him to throw his 'potion balls' much farther, as well as catch certain things. I also provided him with a kit that allowed him to test magical residue to discover what spells had been cast in a particular place.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
He's doing the alchemy thing. Improving range is a good idea, as is improving chances of hitting (the player is notorious for rolling poorly).

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
If you use the class with the construct (it's the default I know, I don't like it), maybe an item to repair or protect said construct?

neogod22

Explorer
Offensively, I don't think there should be any magic items given their damage is already magical and already scales pretty well as they level, plus they get spells. I think they should focus on defensive items like, ring of protection, or cloak of displacement.

Remove ads