Kate Welch is WotC's New D&D Designer

WotC has a brand new D&D designer, and it's Kate Welch! She plays Rosie Beestinger, the Lightfoot Halfing Monk in Acquisitions Inc's "C Team". She starts work on February 2nd. That's all I know for the moment, but more info if I hear it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WotC has a brand new D&D designer, and it's Kate Welch! She plays Rosie Beestinger, the Lightfoot Halfing Monk in Acquisitions Inc's "C Team". She starts work on February 2nd. That's all I know for the moment, but more info if I hear it!

amVFPaW2_400x400.jpg

[video=youtube;fRsURJf4SjQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRsURJf4SjQ[/video]
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
You're wrong about your second assumption. I've played with a group who seem to have no idea that role-playing is even a thing, they approach D&D exactly the same way as a video game.
5E is fun even when played as a straight dungeon crawler, which is why I've kept gaming with that gang :)

So they don’t make choices for their characters? I would posit that not role-playing is impossible in a role-playing game :)

jessiuz

First Post
I know Kate plays 5E, but has she ever DM'd 5th edition? UX/UI credits on a few video games doesn't really seem like relevant experience to me. I'm really scratching my head as to why Wizards would pick her for this position.

Here is the job listing. Judge for yourself.

Game Designer, Dungeons & Dragons
Employment Type: Regular
ID: 12674
Job Category: WOTC - Marketing, Brand & Community Management

Description

Do you want to help inspire the next generation of novelists, comic book artists, game designers, actors, and directors? Would you like to draw upon 40 years of D&D mythology to create the next generation of great D&D games and RPG supplements? Would you like to help cultivate a positive, inclusive community of gamers and creators? If those challenges sound interesting, we would like you to consider joining the Dungeons & Dragons team.

This position creates D&D products, such as a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons. It is responsible for leading one product at a time, while providing feedback on other products in production. The person in this role is responsible for the final product, and must oversee and coordinate the work of designers, writers, and editors to combine individual contributions into a cohesive whole. This position is also responsible for ensuring that the product is consistent with D&D game mechanics and that new game material is properly playtested.

DAY-TO-DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD

-Help create new product concepts and translate those ideas into actionable product outlines and specification documents.
-Take part in writing groups, helping to brainstorm story details for new elements of D&D’s worlds and stories, such as heroes, villains, monsters, and worlds.
-Oversee the production of new D&D products, coordinating work between writers, designers, and editors to create a cohesive manuscript.
-Create art orders for products, provide input to art directors on art produced for a product to ensure it is consistent with a product’s contents.
-Review game material to ensure it is consistent with D&D game mechanics and styles, coordinate playtest efforts and apply feedback, participate in postmortem exercises to provide feedback to team members and to improve work processes.

Problem Solving

-Brainstorm interesting new ways to use and present classic D&D story elements in gaming products.
-Tackle the people problems that arise in working on a group project, such as keeping someone motivated after delivering tough feedback.
-Manage schedules to understand when a product slips and how to correct for that by identifying and focusing on the right issues. Determine the right questions to ask about a troubled project before taking action.
-Find ways to express new ideas within existing game mechanics and without upsetting a game’s balance.
-Identify the easiest, simplest way to express complex concepts.
-Understand the D&D audience of creators (tabletop DMs and licensing partners) well enough to anticipate their needs and provide inspiring story material before they ask for it.

AM I QUALIFIED? (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)

-Does the idea of building a D&D product outline, and then shepherding that outline into a finished product, excite you?
-Do you like to play games, analyze games, and think about how to make them better?
-Are you an awesome Dungeon Master who weaves stories that captivate your players?
-Do you like creating new content for your favorite games?
-Do you like to collaborate with others on creative products?
-Have you been involved in a community of gamers that was inclusive and welcoming?
-Would you say that you have an eye for detail?
-Does working on lots of details that must be coordinated across a product sound exciting?
-Were you excited about diving into the latest edition of the Chicago Manual of Style?
-Do you feel comfortable building spreadsheets to analyze the math behind a game system?

Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:

-Experience playing and DMing D&D 5th edition required.
-At least three product credits (books, board games, video games, and the like) required, tabletop or digital RPGs preferred.
-Experience refining someone else’s game design, writing, or both into publishable form required.
-Experience using software/scripting (spreadsheets, GREP, and the like) to aid analysis and text modification required.
-Experience using Word, Excel, and text styles required
-Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style required
-Mastery of English grammar required
-Comfortability with algebra or higher math required
-Experience with InDesign preferred

Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:

-Knowledge of fantasy movies, novels, and other forms of entertainment necessary.
-Knowledge of fantasy roleplaying games, both tabletop and video games, necessary.
-Love of collaboration and teamwork, comfort having honest, open conversations with team members.

Physical Requirements:

Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.

For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn.

darjr

I crit!
Wait? How many candidate would you have KNOWN to be a good DM or not? Do you know she isn’t?

Just because she is a player in those streams doesn’t mean she only plays.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
What's with the people questioning her qualifications? Dude, really, I think that if WotC hired her that they feel that she met their qualifications. And I think they have better clue about that than any one on these boards. Go find some other thing to complain about.

redrick

First Post
I know Kate plays 5E, but has she ever DM'd 5th edition? UX/UI credits on a few video games doesn't really seem like relevant experience to me. I'm really scratching my head as to why Wizards would pick her for this position.

Here is the job listing. Judge for yourself.

Nah, seriously, don't judge for yourself. You weren't at the interview. You don't have her resume. You didn't talk to her references. It is absolutely under no circumstances your purview to judge or question the qualifications of a hire from an armchair.

You are welcome to disagree with any public statements she might have made about the directions she believes D&D should go, or even her track record of directions other projects have gone after she stepped on board, but to pull up a job description and imply that she doesn't meet the basic requirements? That's even more off-base than the suggestion that, because she enjoys campaigns that can be low on combat, she will screw over the power gamers in the player base.

redrick

First Post
Congrats. I have but one question: Besides 5e, what other editions do you also like to play or have enjoyed playing?

Who is "you"? Are we role-playing an interview?

DM: Kate Welch steps into the room and sits down. "Thanks for agreeing to interview me for this position, internet forum. Wizards has already offered me the job, but it's important for me to get your approval before I actually move into my office."
PLAYER 1: Ok, so my character is going to stay standing. They're going to nod as Kate walks in and then give a tight lipped smile. "Congrats on getting the job." Then they're going to lean forward and put their hands on the table in front of us. "I have but one question. Besides 5e, what other editions do you also like to play or have enjoyed playing?"
DM: Ok, roll for, umm, Intimidate?
PLAYER 1: Can I use my proficiency in Performance? Because of the way I put my hands on the table in a dramatic way? I actually don't have Intimidate.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Are those her real ears?

[William Shatner voice]Yes... she... had an unfortunate accident as a child.... She caught her head... in a mechanical... rice picker...[/William Shatner voice]

This is all well and good, and I'm glad they're bringing in some new blood, but when will Gleemax be finished??
[Alec Guinness voice]Now there’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time... A LONG time.[Alec Guinness voice]

More seriously, congrats to Kate, and I hope it means many good products to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads