D&D 5E The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (TftYP) playthrough

DRF

First Post
Hi everyone,

When I started researching and preparing The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, I had a hard time finding resources and feedback. I'm creating this thread both to tell my players' story, and in hopes that someone else who is preparing the dungeon can benefit from it. I think the dungeon has great appeal, and I hope more people will play it. Firstly, I purchased a guide from the DMsguild*. This guide has been quite helpful, and I'm happy with the product. I would recommend it if you're preparing the dungeon because there are a lot of room descriptions and details in the book, and some parts will be easy to miss and/or forget in the heat of the DM'ing-moment. The guide essentially reduces each room to easy-to-understand basics, as well as linking monsters to the corresponding Monster Manual page. This is very helpful, even if some of the monsters in Tamoachan are Tamoachan-specific and part of the dungeon appendix.

*http://www.dmsguild.com/product/210...rm=Tales+from+the+Yawning+Portal&test_epoch=0

I'm not going to lie: preparing this dungeon takes a lot of time and work. I enjoy doing that stuff, but I can understand it if seems overwhelming for some, especially since this dungeon at times has some difficult mechanics and rooms. For instance, the lowest level of the dungeon (where the players start) has poisonous air and players take damage (1d6) every hour they're in the dungeon. This quickly begs the question: how do I keep track of time in dungeons? This is not something most people typically have to deal with. I read (or tried to read) an article by TheAngryDM. His awful style of writing aside, based on his ideas I have used the following system: each interaction with a room reasonably takes an average of 10 minutes. Combat takes a negligible amount of time. If my players searched a room, or declared that they'd thoroughly do something (such as investigate a specific area), or if I judge that whatever they're doing takes about 10 minutes, then I place a die on the table. After six dice have been placed, an hour has passed and the players take the damage. This has worked really well, both in terms of keeping track of time but also fairness. It keeps players on their toes, it triggers the effect reasonably often and is easy to keep track of.

I'm running the adventure pretty much as-written. Since I'm Danish and we play using our native language, I don't read the descriptions aloud (I also had to spend a little time translating some of the key words; this wasn't an issue but something to keep in mind if you're not playing using English. My English is fairly good, but the terms for the key dungeon features are a bit out of the ordinary).

The group of lvl 5 PCs:

• Life Cleric
  • Barbarian
  • Sword'n'board Fighter
  • Wizard with dip in Rogue (4/1)
The following text presumes some familiarity with the dungeon as I don't want to describe every room. Also, there will be spoilers. Obviously.
Predictably, the players were both curious in the completionist sense ("We must check every room!") but also terribly scared of everything. The first room alone took 1.5 hours (lol), because they kept interacting with the various figures and triggering small events. It really helped me set the tone though, as I had to describe the culture and history of the place. They quickly caught on to what setting I was going for. The first encounter with the crayfish creatures was surprisingly interesting. There was a bit of RP, but they managed to piss the guardian off and a fight ensued. They didn't take a ton of damage, but I wasn't worried; I knew this dungeon has been described as a "death by a thousand cuts" dungeon. They also felt safe because of the Life Cleric. Next they managed to find the vampire tomb (narrowly avoiding being put to sleep for 5000 years!). The fight was long and difficult for them, and it cost them many resources. They did manage to win and the Barbarian got the cursed Great Axe. I was pleased because I knew what was to come.

Our first session was, I think, 5’ish hours, and this was more or less all they managed to do. Three rooms! 3 out of 54! Madness. I was already fairly sure that they were doomed.
Next session came around, and despite having to take 8x6 damage, they chose to long rest (I took pity on them; mechanically they shouldn’t be allowed to long rest at all). They replenished spells, but were obviously hurt from the get-go. They investigated some more, and were very scared of the completely harmless sand-room just before the corridor with the big statue. They found the secret entrance behind the statue, and claimed a magical sword. They managed to avoid a fight by doing this, but (inevitably) encountered the Nereid. They got blasted with water and lightning; it was an interesting and tense fight, and even though the Nereid begged them to let her live in exchange for her treasure, they killed her after deciding (correctly) that she is 100% evil. The Barbarian killed her, and this did end combat, but because he was wielding the cursed Great Axe, he started swinging wildly and actually brought the Cleric to 0 hp. The group then managed – through clever use of the Catapult spell – to disarm the Barbarian. They haven’t used the Great Axe since.

They progressed and there was some cool investigation and springing of traps. I guess many of the traps feel unavoidable, but this is an old-school dungeon. It takes clever, careful work to avoid everything, but it can be done. They were way too careful and scared to get fooled by anything really awful (like that 5000 year sleep curse that I was sort of rooting for just because it would be a hilarious fate in a one-shot). They fought the 15 zombies, and met the Will’o’Wisp, but the Wizard knew that they can’t be trusted and quickly fled from that corridor.
The second session of what was supposed to be a one-shot ended about half-way through the dungeon. The party disturbed two entities (presumably lovers; a male and a female) with monk abilities. A fight ensued, and the Cleric fell again. It was a tough fight for them, and after the fight they are now more or less out of hit dice, most spells and other resources. They are almost out of the dangerous lowest level, but right now things look quite dire for the group. If they’re clever they can at least find fresh air soon which will help them a lot, but it depends on which of the unexplored roads they choose. I am loving the tension and panic of the group, especially the panic caused by the bad air. It really creates a real sense of danger and urgency.
We’re going to have to play a third session (again, this was supposed to be a one-shot), so this dungeon definitely takes a lot of time. I do think it’s awesome though, and I’m having fun DM’ing it. I will update this thread (if there’s any interest) once we’ve played the last session.

I cannot believe people only had 2 hours for this whole place originally. D&D has really changed! I’d love to hear if you guys have any Tamoachan stories or experiences. Opinions? Have you played it, or are you considering it?

Eleon

Villager
So first reply to an ancient post... but since I found this searching, I am adding my 2 cents now.
also Dropping a link to another thread on Tamoachan

I played this in ancient times and had memories of fondness, but didn't remember much of what actually happened. So I cracked it open to revive a game with my kids while I am traveling. We are using Roll 20 so the mapping sort of defeats some of the slow parts. I am also changing up a few of the encounters to make it sort of have some continuity. I have added a few more of the animated things for example so there is a bit of a Night in the Museum to it.
I am using the sound effects for traps to good effect, it has been well received and people are listening to the ambient music more carefully.
The players are just at past the crayfish, and I will start time pressure for the next session.
I was happy one of my characters was proud to use discipline of history and linguist to be able to have some crude conversation with the guardian.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases