D&D 5E Giving back to the D&D Community- Positive Stories of D&D Heroes!

Wulffolk

Explorer
I recently moved from one end of town to the other. There were many boxes of old gaming books and magazines and other materials. I had been lugging them around for years, most of which I had not looked at through several moves.

So, I donated them to the local gaming store. I told the owner that he could do whatever he wanted with them, sell them, keep them, display them, or whatever.

In return I was rewarded with the opportunity to listen to first-hand stories of the owner's personal experiences spending time with Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, just bull-shitting with them as friends and also gaming with them. We had a lot of fun talking about the early days of D&D, and reminiscing about some of the rarer books we have owned. The owner still owns an autographed copy of the play-test material for Chainmail.

I might have been able to make a little money selling the stuff on Ebay, but most of it was not in all that great of condition anyways, and if it helps a FLGS to survive then I am happy to give back what I can.

Mad_Jack

Legend
On a slightly tangential level, The New England Miniature Painters Association has our (somewhat) monthly painting get-togethers at local hobby shops, and we're not shy about grabbing anybody who stops to look and sticking a brush in their hand. We always keep a few random plastic minis on hand to give people who want to stop by and paint with us. My friend's kid has a bit of a complicated home life, so a couple years ago I took him on as my painting apprentice. Of course, he's since gone on to use those skills for decorating his Nerf gun mods, but... < rolls eyes >

The folks on the Reaper Miniatures forums are awesome people. It's not uncommon for somebody to be getting nostalgic about some favorite mini they had back in the day and wishing they still had it, only for them to find a package in their mailbox a week later containing someone's "extra" copy of it. We also do a "Box of Goodwill", in which everyone who signs up is divided into a number of groups and one person in each group takes a bunch of their stuff, packs it into a box and sends it out to another person, who then takes a few things out and replaces them with some of their own stuff, and sends the box on to the next person on the list. At the end of the rotation the box goes back to the original person so they can take something out. We encourage folks who are newer to the hobby to take out far more than they put in, as most of us old grognards have more stuff than we'll ever paint in two lifetimes. It's a great way to discover minis from companies you've never heard of, or maybe even end up with some hard-to-find old mini that a collector might drool over.
Several of the people there have have been gifted with minis made to look like their forum avatars. When I was dead broke and unemployed during one of the Reaper Bones Kickstarters, and mentioned that I was skipping it due to my financial state, someone put money in my PayPal account so I could get some stuff I wanted. Recently, when I wasn't able to shuffle money around in time to get a limited edition figure, another forum member used a gift certificate they had to buy it for me.

My local FLGS is a place called the Citadel Game Cellar in Groton, CT...
The Citadel has been a local fixture for going on four decades now, and there are quite a number of folks like myself that are lifers at the store. (I've known the original owner, Pat, since I was 15, longer than I've known anyone else outside my immediate family.)
When Pat announced that the store was going to be moving to it's current location a few years ago and asked for help with the move...
Nearly a dozen people showed up the first weekend with four vehicles. We had the store all packed up and cleaned by the end of the weekend, and by the next weekend all the shelving and merchandise was in place at the new store and the register was open for business.
Pat held a drawing to give away an official D&D Dragon Chess Set (I happened to win it), and a couple of us walked away with some old gaming stuff we found in the basement that Pat just gave us for helping him out. (I ended up with a good-sized stack of 1st Ed. modules.)
When Pat was running his 4E campaign after-hours at the store, I brought in my entire collection of DDM minis for the game to use, at a vague guess somewhere over three hundred of them. I left them at the store after I dropped out of the game so they could keep using them. I only played in that game for about two months, but at least a decade later they're still using the minis for their games at the store.

And I imagine I'm not the only one who's given away more dice over the thirty-five years I've been playing than I currently own...
(And I own a fair number of dice.)

Edit:
If any of you folks remember the old "What Do YOU Think My Character looks like?" thread on the WotC forums, you'd probably recognize my screenname as one of the long-running contributors and eventual custodian of that thread...

Last edited:

I have bought starter sets for toy donations. If we all did think of how many would be out there to be found and fire the imagination of a new lifelong fan?
I really like this idea. Going to have to remember it and do this myself.

Most of my contributions are in the Fantasy Grounds community. This past weekend I ran two free one-shots for FG Daze (6 players each). I know at least one of the players had never played an RPG before, and many were fairly new.

I've posted a few extensions and modules for free on the FG forums and the DMsG and try to help out with user support on the FG forums.

Nothing that will change the world, but hopefully will help to make a few peoples' days brighter. Isn't that what the 10x10 philosophy is about?

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I've served as the community organizer for living campaigns and Adventurer's League programs at three stores, in three states, over the course of 17 years.

I've served on panels, organized convention play events, promoted the hobby through various media, and provided feedback as an alpha playtester (my name is in a book!).

I've contributed to discussion here and elsewhere.

I've served behind the screen.

I've told good stories.

--

This is kind of a humble-braggy thread, though.

Can we talk about others?

My friend (a woman!) opened a (wildly successful!) FLGS in New York City. — Can't beat that. #hero

:)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases