What’s a Discord server?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What’s a Discord server?

People keep telling me I should start an EN World Discord server, but I’m not too clear on exactly what one is or what I would use it for. Could somebody fill me in?

MarkB

Legend
Imagine if everyone on ENworld posted their replies to the same thread, and could see each others' responses in real time, so that the thread topic drifts constantly to whatever's on peoples' minds. That's pretty much what an individual channel on a Discord server looks like - except that you can optionally set them up to use voice chat as well as text.

Plenty of content providers have Discord servers these days, so you could probably seek one out and sign up to it to get a feel for it.

Nytmare

David Jose
Yeah, it's a chat room with lots of bells an whistles. Great for real time conversations, much less useful for in depth discussions and reference.

Wasn't there an Enworld irc or chat feature at some point? If that still exists, you should be able to interface the two of them so that a conversation in either one would carry over to the other.

A Discord channel might be nice too for online roleplaying, but I'd also expect that anyone who wanted to run one would just as easily be able to set one up for themselves. Beyond that, I'd think that a Discord would only take away from what the forum was already doing, and make it so that information and discussions were harder to read back on and see in their entirety.

ccs

41st lv DM
Imagine if everyone on ENworld posted their replies to the same thread, and could see each others' responses in real time, so that the thread topic drifts constantly to whatever's on peoples' minds. That's pretty much what an individual channel on a Discord server looks like - except that you can optionally set them up to use voice chat as well as text.

Plenty of content providers have Discord servers these days, so you could probably seek one out and sign up to it to get a feel for it.

Bleh.

Ryujin

Legend
It's far from ideal for something like this. It can, however, be useful for maintaining communications between owner and moderators of such a board if you split off different channels for issues that are typically dealt with by them, in much the same way that organizations use Slack. It's popular with online gamers.

I'm on three Discord channels at the moment; TwoBards (Scott C. Brown and Andy Dopieralski), RPG Research (Hawke Robinson, who uses RPGs, board games, and electronic games for therapeutic purposes), and Zombie Orpheus Entertainment (I think most here know at least peripherally what they do). When things get really cooking on the ZOE Discord it's impossible to keep up. Opening one up for a board this size would be pointless.

Jhaelen

First Post
Imagine if everyone on ENworld posted their replies to the same thread, and could see each others' responses in real time, so that the thread topic drifts constantly to whatever's on peoples' minds.
Wow, that definitely sounds awe[-]some[/-]ful!

Remove ads